Any way to stop feeling really tired at around 2:30 pm?

Options
Other than taking a nap, lol... and other than drinking coffee, which keeps me awake at night.

My food diary is open to public, if you think there's something energy-sapping in my food... (I haven't had the "Dinner" stuff yet, I just planned it out). Has anyone here managed to conquer post-lunch workday exhaustion? With some sort of food or nutritive supplement?

Replies

• Sunbrooke
    Sunbrooke Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I used to add chia seeds to my water bottle and sip on that. They are supposed to be good for energy. I have more flexibility with eating now, but I still add them to my water if I'm feeling sluggish.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Add more protein and less starch to your morning meals. This has made a world of difference for my husband, and he isn't even trying to lose weight.

Eat all of your calories more often.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    Protein in the morning works wonders for me on weekdays. It's purely anecdotal, I guess, but when I was in grad school, I fell asleep in one particular class every day until I switched from cereal to eggs for breakfast and stopped eating salad for lunch.

The only day of the week this does not work for me is Saturday because I want my Saturday afternoon nap and my pancakes.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Other than taking a nap, lol... and other than drinking coffee, which keeps me awake at night.

My food diary is open to public, if you think there's something energy-sapping in my food... (I haven't had the "Dinner" stuff yet, I just planned it out). Has anyone here managed to conquer post-lunch workday exhaustion? With some sort of food or nutritive supplement?

This is why in certain countries they have siesta time. It's pretty normal to feel tired around 2-3 p.m.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I would suggest eating more calories overall. Calories are energy, your diary says you'll barely top 1000 today.

Eat more protien. Maybe have a handful of nuts or dry roasted edamame (my favorite) when you start feeling tired.

And be sure you are getting enough sleep.
  • SunnyCoons
    Options
    I can't help in the food area, but I've started taking a 15 minute walk around the building in the afternoons on my break, and it wakes me right up.
  • krist3ng
    krist3ng Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Add more protein and less starch to your morning meals. This has made a world of difference for my husband, and he isn't even trying to lose weight.

Eat all of your calories more often.

Thanks! I generally just go for oatmeal because it's quick, cheap, easy, and very filling. I honestly have no idea what to have for breakfast if it's not cereal, yogurt, or oatmeal. Eggs are too much work and dirty a pan. And I'm vegetarian, and am trying to be vegan every other day (a totally random self-imposed challenge) so... rrgh.
  • sjaykay13
    Options
    I agree with previous posts, more calories and more calories from protein early in the day. I also have a fruit right after lunch for a little boost and take a 10-15 walk to get myself going. Caffeine is a quick fix, I stick with one cup in the morning but don't drink any more throughout the day. It's a tough slump for most people, try out a bunch of things and see what works best for YOU
  • kellyskitties
    kellyskitties Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I make my afternoon droop time my break time - and I know you don't want coffee - but my trick is coffee and a treat (usually fiber one brownie). Close office door or go outside. Me time. 10-15 mins. Just me. No naps. I sometimes do it in complete silence. sort of a disconnect and relax moment. My mind usually whirrs away working out my day, but that's ok.

You could do a tea and fruit thing. Or a soda and a cookie. Whatever fits your gig.

I think caffeine, a little treat (carb), and the disconnect are what works for me. Then I feel so much better after and my work effort is improved.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    NO! And I don't even work anymore and I still have it. Eating less for lunch hasn't cured it either. Neither has drinking my morning coffee later in the morning.

So far the ONLY things that work for me are:

1) an actual nap, which is as out of the question now as a stay at home mom as it was when working because of pick up time.
    2) coffee! which means I may never get away from my newly reformed reliance on this. time to reup my starbucks card, least I know how to maximize my purchases there.

Good luck OP, I hope you get answers we can ALL use!
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    B6, B12, D3
  • krist3ng
    Options
    I would suggest eating more calories overall. Calories are energy, your diary says you'll barely top 1000 today.

Eat more protien. Maybe have a handful of nuts or dry roasted edamame (my favorite) when you start feeling tired.

And be sure you are getting enough sleep.

I will definitely top 1000, I just don't know what my post-dinner snackathon will be comprised of yet!
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options

This is why in certain countries they have siesta time. It's pretty normal to feel tired around 2-3 p.m.

GLAD SOMEONE ELSE SAID IT, I'M TIRED OF BEING THE ONLY ONE SINGING THIS SONG, everyone always looks at me like, you're in america bish, we don't DO lazy here!
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    B6, B12, D3

are these apartment numbers?
  • mindyvanwesten
    Options
    advocare spark!
  • crushinpussy
    Options
    fruit in the morning
  • krist3ng
    Options
    B6, B12, D3

Good idea! I actually have something of a 'severe vitamin D deficiency', and am not too hot on my B vitamins either. I'll stock up with these at my desk from now on...
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

GLAD SOMEONE ELSE SAID IT, I'M TIRED OF BEING THE ONLY ONE SINGING THIS SONG, everyone always looks at me like, you're in america bish, we don't DO lazy here!
    lol

Yeah ... not lazy. Just part of being human. I think there's some biological reason behind it and I may have even known once what it was, but I've forgotten.

It does help some to get up and move around, but that isn't fail-proof.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    Oh yes...the 2pm crash. I get it almost every day. Coffee helps.
  • katekross
    katekross Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I usually sip on green tea or a flavored hot tea.