How do you eat your veggies?

Options
2»

Replies

• generallyme2
    generallyme2 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I just love veggies, so I eat them pretty much any way you can think of- fresh, steamed, roasted, in eggs, stews/soups, etc. But my very favorite is to brush a bit of olive oil and some seasonings on them and grill them- yum!
  • JulieMorelli
    Options
    I like them steamed, grilled and raw. Asparagus tossed with garlic, s&p and sprinkle a scant amount of fresh Parmesan cheese. Raw veggies with veggie dip. Grilled pepper, zucchini and eggplant brushed with olive oil, balsamic, s&p - Yummy! Other than that in soups, stews and one pot meals that include protein, mushrooms, onions and whatever else I feel like throwing together.:love:
  • shazbox1
    shazbox1 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    To eat veggies with salad, just put a bunch of cut up veggies on top of the lettuce.

Veggies I throw in salads in general: onion, mushroom, broccoli, carrots, celery, spinach, tomato, peas, radish, peppers,

Or there are some specific recipes too...

Greek Salad: Lettuce, red onion, cucumber, cherry tomato, feta olives, dressing.
    BBQ Chicken Salad: Lettuce, onion, cherry tomato, corn, black beans, chicken, BBQ sauce, ranch dressing.
    Chicken Taco Salad: Lettuce, onion, pepper, cherry tomato, salsa (or chipotle sauce), chicken... can also break up some tortilla chips to go in it
    Honey Mustard Chicken Salad: Lettuce, red onion, tomato, bacon, chicken, honey mustard dressing.

Roasted cauliflower is awesome too. Just break a head of cauliflower into chunks, toss with some olive oil and salt, bake at 400* for 40-45 mins (flip halfway through).
  • shazbox1
    shazbox1 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    If you like pasta, mix a bunch of the following together with tomato sauce, cook for a while at low-ish temperature, and serve over penne pasta with some goat cheese on top:

broccoli
    carrots
    peppers
    onions
    mushrooms
    zucchini
    cauliflower
  • 1two3four
    1two3four Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    How do you make salads with veggies? Short of lettuce, tomato (I know, not a veggie) and cucumbers...

Some thing I do are to make "ribbons" with carrots using a vegetable peeler. I also do this with cucumber. I put them in my lettuce salads.

Two lettuce free salads I make are...

Cucumber salad -- peel and very thinly slice a cucumber and an onion, salt it and leave it draining over a bowl in your fridge. When enough liquid has left the veg drain it off and put the veg in a bowl and sprinkle with vinegar or lemon juice and add strained (Greek) yogurt or sour cream or a combination of the two (how much is up to you). Season with black pepper and dill. You can serve it immediately or let the flavors develop in the fridge. This is something I grew up eating at least once a week as a kid in the summer. We always ate this with grilled meat but I'm happy to eat it alone. lol

Greek salad -- roughly chop cucumber and tomato, slice onion, add Greek olives, and feta cheese. Dress with bottled Greek dressing or make your own. If you're adventurous, cook and dice some beet(root) and add that to to mix after cooling (or cheat and use canned).

I also like to take coleslaw/broccoli slaw mix and add vinaigrette and eat that, too. Or put it on my sandwich.