Dancer's Physique

I know I would never look like a royal dancer no matter how hard I train but it doesn't prevent me from trying to train with that goal. Anyone knows what workout routines a ballet dancer may have?

:flowerforyou:

edit
I think I might not have been very clear with my questions...I was wondering what a dancer's typical training week might look like...besides all the ballet training...I read they also do pilates, cardio, and other stuff...I would like to see a dancer's training plan...

Replies

• evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    You can use the Ballet Beautiful workouts by Mary Helen Bowers (American ballerina).
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Barre workouts are also becoming very popular and there might be a class in your area.

Just google "ballet workout youtube."

Of course, an actual ballerina trains for several hours a day...
  • Sunbrooke
    Sunbrooke Posts: 632 Member
    You can use the Ballet Beautiful workouts by Mary Helen Bowers (American ballerina).

I loved the documentary "First Position" on Netflix. Their dedication is inspiring. I actually read somewhere that adults can still learn ballet. They aren't likely to wind up doing it professionally, but they can still do it as an enrichment.
  • Sunbrooke
    Sunbrooke Posts: 632 Member
    Sorry. Didn't mean to quote. I clicked on the wrong thing.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member

I loved the documentary "First Position" on Netflix. Their dedication is inspiring. I actually read somewhere that adults can still learn ballet. They aren't likely to wind up doing it professionally, but they can still do it as an enrichment.

I have this one and will dig it...
  • albayin
    I think I might not have been very clear with my questions...I was wondering what a dancer's typical training week might look like...besides all the ballet training...I read they also do pilates, cardio, and other stuff...I would like to see a dancer's training plan...
  • albayin
    yes, I did pick up some ballet trainings a few years back when I was already an adult...I was able to do some splits after a couple of years of training...but I would like to do more and wish to look more like a dancer...
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member

I am pretty sure that if we looked into, a lot of what dancers do came before it was rolled into pilates for the rest of us: Mari Winsor, who popularized Pilates in recent years, was a dancer.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,078 Member
    I'm pretty sure they lift weights.

Have you tried googling this subject?
  • albayin

I did but didn't find much specific info but I did get some ideas...just thought there might be some first hand experience here on this forum...
  • albayin

I am pretty sure that if we looked into, a lot of what dancers do came before it was rolled into pilates for the rest of us: Mari Winsor, who popularized Pilates in recent years, was a dancer.

yes, it was mentioned that Joseph Pilates was one of the routines being used now to train dancers...
  • jamebb
    jamebb Posts: 86 Member
    I'm so far from being a dancer it's not even funny, but I did attend a q&a with some Alvin ailey dancers after a performance. They said that they take from 4-6 hours of classes and rehersals with choreographers a day + a performance (or two) per day. It's literally a fully time job, so if you have time go for it.

Eta- I think that when you're at that professional level it's more a matter of learning/practicing choreography and maintaining the flexibility, technique and strength they've developed over the years. So they are probably taking way more advanced versions of the adult classes you'd be taking
  • MistressPi
    MistressPi Posts: 514 Member
    When I was dancing a lot (NOT ballet), I also did yoga (excellent for grounding you, and for balance) as well as resistance training. These both contributed to making me a better (and a better-looking) dancer.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,078 Member

I did but didn't find much specific info but I did get some ideas...just thought there might be some first hand experience here on this forum...

I just googled and briefly read some stuff. It's normal to train/rehearse from 10am - 6pm! Even on performance days they train for 2-4hrs. Apparently even when they take a couple of weeks off they still do pilates!

Sounds like incredible hard work and discipline
  • albayin

I just googled and briefly read some stuff. It's normal to train/rehearse from 10am - 6pm! Even on performance days they train for 2-4hrs. Apparently even when they take a couple of weeks off they still do pilates!

Sounds like incredible hard work and discipline

seriously~ :)