Why is Verizon sticking it in my *** , I don't like it!

Options
I would love some feedback for a better cell phone carrier.

We have a family plan (2 phones) and our bill was well over $400.00 for 1 month! My SO drives TT in and out of Canada hauling propane, we rarely make calls while he is in Canada but he often sleeps in a truck stop that is very close to the border and sometimes it is US service and other times it's roaming. Anyone else dealing with this or already dealt with it?

I was thinking about switching to T-mobile since the price seems reasonable & the data is essentially unlimited. International calls are .20/min whereas I'm paying well over .60/min with VZ but I don't have prior experience with them. Help?

Replies

• MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Yikes. Seems like that international roaming bit is going to be the sticking point. There's got to be options for people that live near the borders, right? I mean just as one example, I know lots of people commute between Detroit and Windsor daily to work. I have no idea what they do.

Tmobile and Sprint get terrible service by me. I'm loyal to AT&T.
  • KristinD1977
    Options
    Thanks, I had a feeling the service wouldn't be great :cry:
  • Cameron_1969
    Cameron_1969 Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    I recently read an article about cell carriers that concluded that everyone hates their carrier. . . no matter who it is.
  • KristinD1977
    Options
    LOL... I really wouldn't hate them if not for the roaming, coverage in (further in) the US is great but they are pricey even for basic smartphone serve. We will probably have to pick up a Canadian burner phone since the really inexpensive "carriers" like Straightalk do not offer international service.
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    I recently read an article about cell carriers that concluded that everyone hates their carrier. . . no matter who it is.

Truth.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    I am not even kidding, this is something Walmart does right: http://www.straighttalk.com/wps/portal/home/shop/unlimitedinternational#.UvWrtqHtNok

ETA: My husband and I have had Straight Talk phones for 5 years now. I would never go back to a contract phone and I would never pay for than 60 a month per phone.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    Sprint is awful. Whatever you do, dont go there.
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    They have a plan that covers USA and Canada...
  • Rdlm1001
    Rdlm1001 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Why not get a pay as you go for Canada? I have 2 lines with Verizon on a family plan. It is 126 for unlimited calls, unlimited text and only 1 gb of data, which I never come close to using because I always get on WiFi. I travel to Greece every couple of months and when I am there I have a pay as you go sim card from Vodaphone. I swap it in as soon as I hit Europe. What happens when you call and ask for a solution?
  • babyshme
    babyshme Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I love my Sprint. We pay 120 for two phones with unlimited every thing. I mean every thing. It's why we went with Sprint because they don't have a data cap.
  • BillyJan1992
    BillyJan1992 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Yeah I have Verizon prepaid and I have the stupid roaming triangle in my dorm room when the guy next to my room doesn't get roaming with Verizon SCREW YOU VERIZON thought you had good cell service out here
  • Mgregory723
    Mgregory723 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Yikes! :noway: I have Straight Talk.... I get unlimited service for under $50 bucks a month. No shut off notices, if I can't afford service then I don't get a card or you can get a small card with like 1000 minutes and 1000 text for under $35 a month. I have a ZTE android and I love it.

Good luck in finding a better service! :flowerforyou:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,594 Member
    Options
    Why not get TANGO app. I believe their video calls and messaging (though it does us data) are free internationally. That way you don't switch if you don't want to.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Rdlm1001
    Rdlm1001 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Good call on Tango. I also use Skype and Viber because tango isn't available for Windows phones. All require data or WiFi though.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    They have a plan that covers USA and Canada...

Yeah, you need an international plan.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,350 Member
    Options
    Sprint is awful. Whatever you do, dont go there.
    This!
  • MizMimi111
    MizMimi111 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Your SO could go into settings on the phone and activate the 'no roaming' or 'home only' feature. We do this when we are in a border area.
  • KristinD1977
    Options
    *face in palm* I was aware that VZ had an international plan but I really did think I was on it already. I realize this sounds dumb but in my past experience with AT&T, if you didn't have the service turned on, you were SOL when out of the country and couldn't even access roaming (not sure if this applied to Canada because the travel involved jumping the pond, but I had assumed so). I was positive that I added this service because it was my motivator for switching from Straightalk (which offers international but for call made within the US only) was all about having a working phone in Canada. for the first 6 mos. the overages ere maybe $20.00/mo, no big deal but I think the SO go comfortable in his plan and every time I got the phone bill he would double check that he had roaming off and I took his word for it..... this morning I had him show me what he meant and he was only turning off data roam & not voice roaming
    I just got a chat and 2 phone calls with VZ to add the appropriate services for our needs, it's still going to be $210 plus taxes but that's a savings of $150-250 compared to our last 6 billing cycles. They have reduced my overage fees by 50% for the last 2 billing cycles which I appreciate immensely considering it was my lack of attention that got me into trouble.
    Thanks everyone for your input