Going out to Sushi... Sashimi?? Ounces?

Options
Hi guys, goin out on a date tonight. Yee! Thinkin bout ordering Sashimi cause I don't want all the calories from sushi... anyway.. would you say typically one piece of sashimi is how many oz????????

Replies

• BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    a half an ounce if you're lucky.

Here's a simple rule of thumb (not entirely accurate)

1 piece sashimi - 35 calories

1 piece sushi nigiri - 65 calories

1 sushi roll - 350-500 calories, depending on sauces

Just be careful of the rolls, and you should be fine.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    0.5 to 0.75 or something? It really depends on the place though.
  • freddi11e
    freddi11e Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    remind me what nigri is?
  • TrailNurse
    TrailNurse Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I usually order salmon, avocado & cream cheese wrapped in cucumber. It doesn't have any rice and is usually around 150 calories for the whole roll.
  • creativerick
    creativerick Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Hmmm... when I'm watching calories I opt for Hibachi chicken ;) or... Glazed Salmon with Soup... yum
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    remind me what nigri is?

The basic sushi, fish and rice.
  • freddi11e
    freddi11e Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    ok so safe to assume one piece of sashimi is 1oz then? thanks for the input
  • shazbox1
    shazbox1 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Nigiri is the fish on top of a bit of rice.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    ok so safe to assume one piece of sashimi is 1oz then? thanks for the input

Generally it is less than an ounce per piece. And the more authentic the place, the smaller the pieces, generally speaking. You could be overestimating your calories by as much as double.
  • PGG19
    PGG19 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I know this is an old topic, but still relevant as it appears in Google searches.

I just ordered 12 piece sashimi from my local sushi spot and took it home and weighed it (I wish i took a picture for reference).

the pieces ranged in weight from 0.2 oz to 0.55 oz. The sashimi pieces were average size and consistent with the size of the pieces at most restaurants that I've been to. So I'd say when calculating calories per piece, you are looking at roughly 2 or 3 pieces of sashimi per ounce. Use your discretion, for smaller pieces you can probably go with 3 pieces/oz and for larger pieces probably 2 pieces/oz.

After seeing how many pieces it would take to equal an ouce, I cant imagine any restaurant serving an ounce per piece of sashimi, I don't even think I would enjoy eating such a big mouthful of raw fish.

thank you! super helpful
  • xvolution
    xvolution Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    Whenever I go out to our local chinese/japanese buffet [they have a nice sushi bar], I usually get one of each kind they have [16 small pieces, so roughly 2 rolls], then base the calories on their AFC equivalent. AFC is a sushi packaging company that sells at supermarkets, and the nutritional information for them is in MFP's food database.

Generally it's 250-550 calories per roll.
  • toddles76boston
    toddles76boston Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I know this is an old topic, but still relevant as it appears in Google searches.

I just ordered 12 piece sashimi from my local sushi spot and took it home and weighed it (I wish i took a picture for reference).

the pieces ranged in weight from 0.2 oz to 0.55 oz. The sashimi pieces were average size and consistent with the size of the pieces at most restaurants that I've been to. So I'd say when calculating calories per piece, you are looking at roughly 2 or 3 pieces of sashimi per ounce. Use your discretion, for smaller pieces you can probably go with 3 pieces/oz and for larger pieces probably 2 pieces/oz.

After seeing how many pieces it would take to equal an ouce, I cant imagine any restaurant serving an ounce per piece of sashimi, I don't even think I would enjoy eating such a big mouthful of raw fish.

Awesome!! Thank you for doing this. I was thinking of doing it next time the wife and I order sushi/sashimi togo.
  • toddles76boston
    toddles76boston Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    freddi11e wrote: »
    Hi guys, goin out on a date tonight. Yee! Thinkin bout ordering Sashimi cause I don't want all the calories from sushi... anyway.. would you say typically one piece of sashimi is how many oz????????

Thank you this post!! I was thinking the same thing when going out to date night with wife tonight. Don't think she would appreciate me wiping out my food scale to weigh out my sashimi. LOL!!