Failing.

Options
I really don't know what to do anymore. I don't want to do this anymore, but my 1-year anniversary of the first day of my journey is coming up and I don't want to give up that easy. I want to succeed but I can't. I would need to lose 5 lbs this week (which is damn near impossible when you're 130) or else this entire thing was just a waste. People tell me that I know I want it or that I'll regret qutting, but honestly I don't. I gained 2 lbs this week, and I feel like I did everything right. This isn't the first time that I've wanted to quit either. Maybe I should just quit..

Replies

• doIlhands
    doIlhands Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    why do you need to lose 5lbs this week? you don't need to be done in 1 year. weight loss and health isnt something you do for one year, you have to keep it up for life.
  • cmfontaine31
    cmfontaine31 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Don't give up on yourself or your ultimate goal because you are running out of time. Maintaining a healthy weight requires a lifelong commitment. Congratulate yourself on what you have accomplished so far!
  • SusanMKR
    SusanMKR Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Don't quit...you are not failing! Gaining two pounds during a week that you "did everything right" doesn't mean anything. All kinds of things play into short-term weight fluctuations--hormones, stress--it's happened to me many, many times. Just keep doing your best and if you have a day that you slip, don't worry about it--just get back on track as soon as you can. Hang in there!
  • Mitzigan94
    Mitzigan94 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Hey,don't quit. You got this okay. Just breathe. The more it gets better, the more it gets harder.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    So you have lost 57 pounds in a year and you consider that a failure because it isn't 5 more? And what does "giving up" mean? That you go back to your old, unhealthy habits and gain all the weight back? A number is arbitrary. . . . try to remember the real reasons for embarking on this journey: health, energy, stamina, self-confidence.
  • kiwitechgirl
    kiwitechgirl Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I want to succeed but I can't. I would need to lose 5 lbs this week (which is damn near impossible when you're 130) or else this entire thing was just a waste.

Why? If you're down to 130 from 187 then you've done brilliantly well already. The difference between 130 and 125 is so minimal it doesn't matter. I'm up a little this week but I know if I keep on, it'll go - don't freak out because you haven't quite made your goal of being at 125 in a year. You've lost over 50 pounds and that's a massive achievement.
  • fast_eddie_72
    fast_eddie_72 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I really don't know what to do anymore. I don't want to do this anymore, but my 1-year anniversary of the first day of my journey is coming up and I don't want to give up that easy. I want to succeed but I can't. I would need to lose 5 lbs this week (which is damn near impossible when you're 130) or else this entire thing was just a waste. People tell me that I know I want it or that I'll regret qutting, but honestly I don't. I gained 2 lbs this week, and I feel like I did everything right. This isn't the first time that I've wanted to quit either. Maybe I should just quit..

You don't want to quit. You've done so well! Hang in there. Don't let 5 lbs. make you feel like a failure! You've come too far for that.
  • TXEXrunner
    TXEXrunner Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Just read your profile comments. "it's where you're going that counts"; I bet you're also getting stared at for completely different reasons now! You set a goal then for where you wanted to go - look what you have accomplished - you are to be congratulated for that!! Your body surely is in a better place today! Your progress to date is nothing short of Awesome!
    As others have commented, this is a lifetime commitment. It is great that you are nearing completion of your first year. Now what about next year - perhaps maintaining where you are or tackling that last five pounds that you don't like today? You obviously know how to commit yourself to something. Use your Pals here to help keep you accountable if that will help.
    But by no means quit - you are too good for that!!!
  • gigglesinthesun
    gigglesinthesun Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    why did you pick 125 anyways? Did you scientifically determine it or did you pick it out randomly because it sounded good?

Take a break for 2 weeks and eat whatever. Evaluate why you have the goal weight that you have and why it is important that you are that weight. Then decide whether it is worth going for those last 5lbs or not. Remember though that you might gain a bit of weight when you stop restricting your diet as your glycogen reserves refill themselves.