Burn The Fat Feed The Muscle Program HELP

Options
So I just recently bought the book Burn The Fat Feed The Muscle by Tom Venuto and I love it! I feel so motivated to track my macros again! I have a question that might seem simple, but it is confusing the eff out of me :s ... I know that to lose weight (burn fat) its a matter of calories in vs. calories out. I have set my deficit to a moderate deficit of 15% because I also want to retain whatever lean mass I have gained over the past year...

My question is this... Do I include the calories burned in exercise towards my deficit??!

I know it seems probably like a stupid questions but its stumping me. I don't want to eat too little and risk losing my lean body mass, and I know enough to not eat back all the calories burned by exercise.

Thanks to anyone who has any advice!! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options
    TDEE is supposed to include exercise, so the question is, did you include it?
  • katiehrgovic
    katiehrgovic Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I did include TDEE....

It just seems low... I love food...

Makes sense though, I kind of thought that it would be included in TDEE once I factored in my activity level..

Thanks for your help psulemon!!:happy:
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Shortest answer I have ever provide. Cool.

BTW, how much weight are you losing per week so far?
  • dmt4641
    dmt4641 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I was confused about that from the book as well because he seems to be of the view that extra exercise will help increase the deficit. I usually eat back my exercise calories because I'm hungry!
  • katiehrgovic
    Options

I am not sure how much weight I'm losing/week yet because I only really started counting my calories on like Tuesday... My clothes feel looser a bit already but maybe its just water weight. I went with a moderate deficit because I am a hungry girl and I worked really hard to put on muscle over the past year... I only want to lose 4% bf, so I hope I can do that in 3 months or so
  • katiehrgovic
    Options
    I was confused about that from the book as well because he seems to be of the view that extra exercise will help increase the deficit. I usually eat back my exercise calories because I'm hungry!

yeah it seems very confusing to me too! My heart rate monitor isn't working right now, but if I were to guess, I probably burn upwards of 700 cals/workout with cardio and weight training... It just worries me because I don't want to lose muscle... I'm definitely not opposed to eating if I feel starved though, been there done that, not worth it!
  • psuLemon
    Options

I am not sure how much weight I'm losing/week yet because I only really started counting my calories on like Tuesday... My clothes feel looser a bit already but maybe its just water weight. I went with a moderate deficit because I am a hungry girl and I worked really hard to put on muscle over the past year... I only want to lose 4% bf, so I hope I can do that in 3 months or so

In that case, monitor calorie consumption and weight loss for the next 4-6 weeks and then report back. 1800 calories is inline with all the other women I know. After enough time, its possible to evaluate the situation.