How late is too late to eat at night?

Options
So I've always wondered, and I've always gotten different answers, so I'll ask on here - what should be the cutoff time for eating a meal at night? I'm not talking about a small snack or something, but a meal, like dinner. Any opinions? Is there also a cutoff time that I should be eating snacks or a small dessert at night as well? Any and all opinions are appreciated!!! :smile:

Replies

• PunkyDucky
    PunkyDucky Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I don't think it really matters how late you eat..
    But I've read that just eating three hours before bedtime is fine.
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Eat whenever you want to, it has zero impact on weight loss.

Eta.......If you lose on 2000 cals per day eating 3 meals per day, you would lose the exact same amount if you at 2000 in one meal at midnight in bed. It's calories. Period.
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    As my head hits the pillow....
  • fast_eddie_72
    fast_eddie_72 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I've heard all the "don't eat after 8PM" stuff. Really doesn't seem to make a difference for me. I don't sleep well and get up all the time in the middle of the night. ALWAYS want something to eat. Started making a point of tracking those calories more accurately this week and the weight went down. Didn't seem to matter that some (kind of a fair few) calories were in the middle of the night.
    As my head hits the pillow....

Wish that's when it stopped for me! lol
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,095 Member
    Options
    I have actually found that eating my dinner later at night, say, at 8 pm instead of 6 pm, has helped me keep to my calorie allowance - because then I don't have that time of evening snacking, my dinner fills me pretty well till bedtime.

Obviously that is just a lifestyle habit thing though, the actual time of eating is not in itself the issue.
  • SwampWitch666
    SwampWitch666 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Popular opinion says the "don't eat x amount of hours before bed" theory is a myth.

Some foods make you gassy and more bloated (which would show in the morning) but as long as you're within your calorie deficit before you sleep a good eight hours, you should be fine.

Or so "they" say.
  • mungowungo
    mungowungo Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    If there were time limits on eating then shift workers would all be up the creek without a paddle - meal timing is irrelevant to weight loss.
  • Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    12:00am

Cos next question will be - do I put it in today's diary or tomorrow?

What to do?
    What to do?
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    If there were time limits on eating then shift workers would all be up the creek without a paddle - meal timing is irrelevant to weight loss.
    As someone who works the night shift, this is true.
  • jasreyno
    Options
    It's actually recommended to eat a small meal right before bedtime to keep your glucose levels up while you sleep. This will help your muscles repair faster and cut down on recovery time. Also, eating late will have zero effect on your weight, don't believe that myth of never eating past dinner time.
  • mamma_nee
    mamma_nee Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    no cut off for me … after midnight counts for the next day
  • DiKoehler
    DiKoehler Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    as long as you are active every day it does not really matter when you eat. It is a bit harder on your body to digest large meals right before bed but does not seem to cause weight gain or loss. Might matter if you are diabetic though.
  • Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    no cut off for me … after midnight counts for the next day

Lol I was being cheeky. Should have added a smiley.
  • MVY_
    MVY_ Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    12:00am

Cos next question will be - do I put it in today's diary or tomorrow?

What to do?
    What to do?

Lol!
  • JobyHux
    JobyHux Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I know guys eating 12 meals, 7500 calories a day and have low body fat. Its all about your diet and exercise. I do know that you want to cut down the carb before bed.
  • mekkzy888
    mekkzy888 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter at all, but if I eat at night it still counts for the day. I don't start logging for the next day until I've slept because if I didn't I'd get confused as to why I had night-time food in my breakfast!
  • angie007az
    angie007az Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    So I've always wondered, and I've always gotten different answers, so I'll ask on here - what should be the cutoff time for eating a meal at night? I'm not talking about a small snack or something, but a meal, like dinner. Any opinions? Is there also a cutoff time that I should be eating snacks or a small dessert at night as well? Any and all opinions are appreciated!!! :smile:

I eat dinner between 5 and 6PM. If I eat later than that, it affects my sleep.
  • abadvat
    abadvat Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    Till 2 minutes before macros reset :bigsmile:
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Don't eat while you're asleep. It's difficult to track. Otherwise, eat whenever you want.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I know guys eating 12 meals, 7500 calories a day and have low body fat. Its all about your diet and exercise. I do know that you want to cut down the carb before bed.
    Actually, you want carbs before bed. Carbs help you sleep.