What word would you rather have people...

Options
describe you as (that is if they absolutely feel the need to): big, large, fat, heavy, overweight, fluffy, obese, plump, plus-size, chunky, hefty, and tubby.

For some reason, the ones that bother me the most are big and obese.

Replies

• nikkijennings
    nikkijennings Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Obese is the worst for me..... especially when my GP said I was once.

My mum really is... at 5'2" and almost 25 stone.... she was STILL offended when the hospital called her obese last year! (not enough to do anything about it though) :wink: :laugh:
  • loopybec2002
    loopybec2002 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Obese, Big and fat I hate but for some reason Overweight doesn't sound as bad when they speak about me. It sounds a more grown up term and if I was talking about my self thats what I'd use too!
  • loopybec2002
    loopybec2002 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    If you call me plump the only thing your likely to get is a thump on the nose!
  • mekhala
    mekhala Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    i have been called voluptuous.... i think it is a lovely word!! makes me feel like i am like maralyn monroe!

x
  • MamaRandall
    MamaRandall Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    My ex-mother-in-law called me fluffy once and that made me want to "fluff" her up a little bit!... I think if I had to choose any word, it would be stocky.
  • Maggie1960
    Options
    I'd rather people said I was overweight than try to be kind and say I'm 'curvy'. I'm not curvy, I'm fat. I weigh too much. Curvy for me is someone who has a feminine shape but is NOT overweight.:grumble:
  • GrayJohn
    Options
    Rotund is a crappy one!!

735976.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • Luckymam
    Options
    I'd rather people said I was overweight than try to be kind and say I'm 'curvy'. I'm not curvy, I'm fat. I weigh too much. Curvy for me is someone who has a feminine shape but is NOT overweight.:grumble:

Torally agree. Curvy and voluptious mean hourglass, feminine, soft, etc. I AM overweight and I am NOT curvy - I am FAT.

Not that I like any of the adjectives that are used to mean fat in a kinder way! All of them hurt! They all mean 'not slim'.
  • susiewusie
    susiewusie Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Obese is the worst ever , a bit chunky is the best out of a bad bunch lol volumptious is nice .
  • Maggie1960
    Options

Torally agree. Curvy and voluptious mean hourglass, feminine, soft, etc. I AM overweight and I am NOT curvy - I am FAT.

Not that I like any of the adjectives that are used to mean fat in a kinder way! All of them hurt! They all mean 'not slim'.

I am tall as well, and the worst description I got was "Maggie isn't fat exactly but she's BIG" with the emphasis on the word big.:grumble: Now I aiming for people to describe me as "Maggie is tall and slim" and I intend to make this happen.:smile:
  • clahut
    clahut Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    For me, it more depends on how someone says it, rather than the word itself. I use 'fat' or 'overweight' to describe myself because both are accurate. Personally, I find 'obese' helpful as when I realised I fell into that category clinically it focussed me to do something about it. I don't mind my mum or other people close to me pointing this out and using those kind of words as there are no undertones to what they are saying. It is when people use those words with a kind of sneer or superiority that I have issues, and I get upset or offended.

Roll on when people call me curvy!!! :happy:

C
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    Uhh, weight challenged I believe is the new politically correct term. I prefer to think of myself as vertically challenged in my family. I am the shortest of the bunch at 5'5", all the boys are over 6 foot!
  • jantawa
    jantawa Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Oh forgot another one that is used in the medical field...that I absolutely hate...large body habitus.
  • abyt42
    abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    When I had to get my physical for work, the doctor wrote my body type down as "stubby." I'm average height, and, at the time, had a healthy BMI....weighed what I had in high school. While I thought of myself as fat, I only wish I were as stubby now as I was then.
  • abyt42
    abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    When I had to get my physical for work, the doctor wrote my body type down as "stubby." I'm average height, and, at the time, had a healthy BMI....weighed what I had in high school. While I thought of myself as fat, I only wish I were as stubby now as I was then.
  • fitterpam
    fitterpam Posts: 3,086 Member
    Options
    The best one I've heard is rubinesque.

I have to be honest, none of the words bother me on their own. They are only descriptions for what I am.....except fluffy. I'm not a bunny, people. I think it depends on the context of the word. My WII fit tells me I'm obese every morning....LOL It's just a categorical representation of my BMI. But my brother telling me not to eat that cake because I'm obese.....he's going to get a nose full of cake....
  • allief
    Options
    I think the one that bothers me is the BMI description of "Morbidly Obese"!
  • mekhala
    mekhala Posts: 123 Member
    Options

i like to be called curvy and voluptuous... i have 8 stone to loose to be at the middle of my healthy weight range, if i focussed on the words that people call us curvey voluptuous ladies, i would sit all day in bed and eat cake!!

But i am happy in my skin, bounce around but neked in front of my man and mirror and it doesnt bother me.

What does bother me at the moment is not having the money for all the nice clothes i have seen!! grrrr x
  • Joyjmb
    Joyjmb Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I love the word 'ZAFTIG' - it makes me sound curvy AND hip.

I hate the word 'ROUND' - Sure, I'm in shape, round is a shape.