Training for a half, full-marathon or a triathlon?

Hello wonderful people,
I am looking for a tribe to connect with. My goal is to lose 20 lbs, train for a half marathon or the FULL on the Great Wall of China (no concrete goal yet) for May of 2014 and in the process become stronger in body and mind. I would love to cheer others on, and be a cheerleader for you in return. Strive to stay healthy. We only have one container, one physical body to live this life so why not celebrate what we can do together.
Shine on,
Alien10

Replies

• alikonda
    alikonda Posts: 2,358 Member
    May of 2014 is not very far away. Unless you have a good running base already, training for a half or full marathon may not be very safe.
    I recommend hammering down your goals, then picking an event that will allow you to train safely.
  • PrairieRunner2015
    PrairieRunner2015 Posts: 126 Member
    I agree. If you are dead set on the great wall, why not 2015? Coming from my personal experience, taking your time and building up a good base and slowly ramping up your mileage, as well as strength conditioning will do wonders for you. I did neither and wound up with injures(Twice). I'm back on the rebound now, with more sustainable distance increases, as well as working on strength to help promote proper form and alleviate muscle imbalances.

With that being said, and I probably should've asked this first, what is your training program like right now?