Thoughts on Zumba?

Options
2»

Replies

• sigalsirkin
    sigalsirkin Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Don't wait to start Zumba. Anyone can start, does not matter what your fitness level is. You do not have to do high impact moves, you can start with following the moves but doing it low impact and as you get fitter you can put more effort into the moves. Zumba is such fun, it's like going to a dance party. I never have to force myself to go, I love it so much and if I miss it, I get really disappointed. Even if you don't have a lot of coordination, the more you do it, the better you get at it. Don't think about it, just do it! Good luck and have fun.
  • margannmks
    margannmks Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I just started twice a week theres a class after my boot camp, i like it im not very good but getting better, the teacher definetly makes or breaks it. I already do bc 5 days so i enjoy the less painful zumba more fun than work.
  • Arranna1212
    Arranna1212 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I personally can't stand it. Though I love to dance, I'm more of a run fast and lift heavy kind of person. I do however see how Zumba appeals to people who don't nessesarily like exercise (or even do and just want to mix it up). Anyone can do it...and it makes working out fun. Definitely give it a go!

My experience: an instructor can make or break your love for Zumba. I had a really crappy one recently (think Prancersize-ish), but I've had really high energy, awesome ones, too. Just isn't my thing.

So true on the instructor part. I've heard about instructors singling people out and making fun of them because they couldn't make the steps! I love my instructor though, she teaches multiple classes there including ballet for toddlers. i'm pretty sure to be a good Zumba instructor you need to be a nice, energetic person.
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    I did a you tube zumba video for free at home to try it out before going.
  • bribrijean234
    bribrijean234 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I've was a dancer for the majority of my life, heard about Zumba and decided to give it a go. I tried a couple classes but got bored very quickly with the instructors/classes offered near me. That's when I discovered Zumba for the wii. I have to say if you have a video game system like wii or xbox - buy a game! You can learn at your own pace and the games even have step by step tutorials if needed. The key is to keep moving - if you miss the steps or can't keep up, just keep going, you'll improve with practice. If it's just too much going on to keep up, try getting the footwork down first. Add the arms in when you feel comfortable. I've been playing since the first game and now I'm hooked on Core and World Party. I pick up the steps super quick but I still miss steps and make mistakes - but so what. I'm having fun and getting a great workout. :)

One note: don't trust the calorie burn that MFP gives you for doing Zumba, it's a bit overstated. If you have a HRM go by that, or give yourself some leeway and don't eat all of the calories back that it gives you. I'd say 50% is safe, and you can probably even go a little higher than that.
  • Fiercely_Me
    Fiercely_Me Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I personally can't stand it. Though I love to dance, I'm more of a run fast and lift heavy kind of person. I do however see how Zumba appeals to people who don't nessesarily like exercise (or even do and just want to mix it up). Anyone can do it...and it makes working out fun. Definitely give it a go!

My experience: an instructor can make or break your love for Zumba. I had a really crappy one recently (think Prancersize-ish), but I've had really high energy, awesome ones, too. Just isn't my thing.

So true on the instructor part. I've heard about instructors singling people out and making fun of them because they couldn't make the steps! I love my instructor though, she teaches multiple classes there including ballet for toddlers. i'm pretty sure to be a good Zumba instructor you need to be a nice, energetic person.

As a zumba/group X instructor, that disgusts me. They should've been reported and fired immediately. I do agree that there will be instructors that are not going to be as energetic or as friendly as others, but that type of behavior derails the whole purpose of group exercise, and therefore, should not be tolerated. Fortunately they're in a minority because most Zumba instructors are awesome and really go out of their way to encourage participants as much as possible.

I would definitely recommend trying Zumba, because it is fun and you really do get a good workout. It breaks up the monotony of traditional exercise.