no weight loss for weeks

Options
2»

Replies

• ryan_tcb
    Options
    Annoyed about the subway though. Gonna miss those. I thought choosing 6inch over foot long was a step in the right direction. Choosing turkey as apposed to the salami was another step. Not having any cheese. Choosing low fat sauce as apposed to the southwest. Having all the salad too. Bummer. I'm also a slightly fussy eater so when I find something I like that I thought was diet food like subway I stick to it. It's all well and good seeing low fat diet style recipes online etc but for me when I see stuffed aubergines or couscous I think yuck!
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    Here's what I would suggest and some of this is repeated.

1. Get a food scale, weigh every solid that enters you mouth and measure every liquid. Just this morning my crappy breakfast added 17 calories to my count, if that happened every meal it would add up over the week. Packaged foods can be off by as much as 20% in calories.

2. Eat more protein. Set your macros at 40% carbs, 30% protein and 30% fat. You can do that manually in MFP by going to goals, custom. You should eat fruits, vegetables and lean meats daily. And try to meet your macros, that's how MFP is set up.

3. Learn about TDEE and BMR. You should be eating between those numbers. http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/ is pretty accurate. You can eat at your TDEE - 20% and not worry about exercise calories because it is already figured in.

4. Find an exercise routine that you do at least 3 days a week. A combination of cardio and resistance training is probably best because you want to keep as much lean body mass as possible while losing fat.

5. 1-2 liters of water is not enough, men should be drinking at least 3 liters of water a day. I drink 4 liters a day and it really helps with, well, everything.

6. Don't expect weight loss to be linear, overtime you should see a downward trend. You should only try to lose at most 1-2 kbs per week and even less as you get closer to you goal weight.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,234 Member
    Options
    Sometimes though with the myFitness pal app I get the your under x calories and you can enter starvation mode blah blah. So I eat something else even though I'm not hungry just to take it over the 1200 mark. The app also post on your wall to friends that you completed the food diary and was under your calorie goal making that sound like the aim and an achievement to be under.

1200 calories for a 35 year old male is way too little unless you are like 4 feet tall. Baring metabolic illnesses like diabetes you should be able to eat about 2000 calories and still lose weight.
  • rileysowner
    Options
    Annoyed about the subway though. Gonna miss those. I thought choosing 6inch over foot long was a step in the right direction. Choosing turkey as apposed to the salami was another step. Not having any cheese. Choosing low fat sauce as apposed to the southwest. Having all the salad too. Bummer. I'm also a slightly fussy eater so when I find something I like that I thought was diet food like subway I stick to it. It's all well and good seeing low fat diet style recipes online etc but for me when I see stuffed aubergines or couscous I think yuck!

There is nothing wrong with Subway despite the haters out there. Of the prepared food out there it is likely one of the better choices. Unless you have celiacs disease, the bread is not going to hurt you.

For weight loss the key is burning more calories in a day than you eat. Pure and simple. Things can mask a loss like water retention, but if you are not off in your measurements and logging of what you eat you should eventually lose.
  • rileysowner
    Options