How long will it you take you to reach your goal weight?

Options
Hi! I'm just curious how long does everyone think it will take?
Also is your goal weight a healthy BMI or not (mainly asking this for people who are/were obese)
Thanks!

Replies

• jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I started out severely obese, I'm now considered "slightly overweight." I'm guessing it'll take me about a year to reach my goal.
  • marinashakeel
    marinashakeel Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    i started out as obese now i am in healthy weight range but still want to drop 26-16 pounds.. we will see about that.. my UGW is 100lbs which i am now reevaluating and so it might be 110 or somewhere in between... we'll see about that when i get there.. how long will it take me? seriously i have no freaking idea about that -_-.. and now i am trying not to focus on scale so much :|.. i losing really slowly but as they say persistence is the key, so i will get there one day:)..
  • abbyoncloud9
    abbyoncloud9 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    at the rate I'm going, it will take about a year. I'm ok with that now. I just keep reminding myself that eating healthy and exercising is not a 'waste' of time, even if I don't lose weight that quickly.
  • ambience13
    ambience13 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Around 12 weeks, give or take :)
  • sarahc142
    Options
    Seems like forever
    I think 15 weeks total
  • beautifulwarrior18
    beautifulwarrior18 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    hopefully I'll be there by 2015
  • JasperTheStudent
    Options
    Been losin' for a year now. Started 106 kg. Now 88. Goal is 80-82.

I guess this last bit will take me another 3 months or so. At least 2.

My method to get there is simple: run and swim more and eat more regularly (to avoid massive hunger which is not helpful).

You'll get there! Good luck!
  • mungowungo
    mungowungo Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Probably a year - but it doesn't matter because time is going to pass anyway no matter what I do.
  • JasperTheStudent
    Options
    at the rate I'm going, it will take about a year. I'm ok with that now. I just keep reminding myself that eating healthy and exercising is not a 'waste' of time, even if I don't lose weight that quickly.

Very good! It will probably take longer because the first weight is much easier to get off than the last bit. Indeed, it's no waste of time! It's a nice journey!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I wasn't obese but was overweight.

I start Jan 7th 2013....it's been over a year and I am not at my goal yet...but I am doing it slowly while lifting weights as my goals changed along the way.

At first I just wanted to lose weight...so I did ...30lbs...realized I could do better.

Join MFP started exercising...and counting calories...lost more weight and BF%...

Since joining I have realized it's not the number on the scale that is important to me. I already hit my goal...3lbs ago and changed my goal and put another 10lb loss in there...

Will I be done when I hit that goal??? I don't know..

I have goals of BF% and how I look...not scale weight that is just an offshoot of that...

I will start moving to maintenance in June of this year for summer time...I wont purposefully eat over my deficet but I wont limit myself either.
  • tomandshell
    tomandshell Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I started out on October 1st at over 230 pounds, which was just past the obesity level according to my BMI. My goal was to go back to my wedding day weight of 180, which would take me out of obesity, all the way through overweight levels and back to healthy weight. My goal was to lose those 50 pounds in six months, and I am on target to reach that goal with about 11 pounds to go by April 1st. (I will probably shoot for an extra few pounds lost so that I don't fluctuate above 180.)
  • Kyog
    Kyog Posts: 32
    Options
    I'm hoping to be at 9st 5lbs in about 8 weeks, and from there, who knows!

Hoping to run Edinburgh marathon on 25th of may so the healthy living will be continuing anyway, so either way I WILL get there. And onto a leaner, runner's life! x
  • enks07
    enks07 Posts: 74
    Options
    I hope to reach my goal by the end of this year. Altogether it will haven taken me about three years, although I did take a break for one year and "only" maintained my weight during that time.
  • SpunkiMama
    SpunkiMama Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Probably 6 months ... I hope!
  • tonytoo
    tonytoo Posts: 307
    Options
    Next Saturday
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I am at the very very bottom of obese and very very top of overweight right now according to the charts I've looked at. 196.2 lb this morning as a 5'8" woman (still have my weight as 198 on MFP because I don't log until it's steady for several days).

Anyway...I'm totally fine with that. I used to be morbidly obese for years.

It took me 4.5 years to lose 45 lb (307 to 262). That was before MFP.

Since joining MFP on 3-25-13 I have lost 63 lb, actually more but again I don't log the loss until it's sustained awhile.

My current "goal weight" is 180 and that is staunchly overweight but also does not bother me. I may go lower. Not sure. By my estimation I will hit 180 by June. I tend to underestimate so I avoid disappointment. So far so good.
  • AllyBooMommyof2
    Options
    My goal is not a healthy bmi for me, my goal is 178 but for my 5'7" frame a healthy range starts somewhere in the 150s but for me the 178 and having lost 178 is my goal, and I will be healthy for me there. I plan on being at my goal July 3rd this year which will be my sons 1st birthday, and it's very obtainable.
  • pfgaytriot
    pfgaytriot Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2" and I started off at 220 and with an obese BMI. I'm now 146 - 148 (depending on the day of the week) with a BMI that's overweight. It's taken me 3 years to get where I'm at now and I'm still working on it. I'm very comfortable with where I'm at now, but I'm still a work in progress.

Good luck!
  • airangel59
    airangel59 Posts: 1,887 Member
    Options
    Today is day # 612
    I'm 5'6" (or close to it).
    BMI on day one was 44.4% (obese)
    BMI today is 24.2% (healthy)
    I really am not sure what my "goal" weight is, at this point I'm thinking another 5 lbs but will see when I get there.
  • Tonnina
    Tonnina Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Well I'm the slow poke of the site... I've been working on this weight loss lifestyle change for over 2 years and I've lost half what I wanted to... I was 270 and now I'm at 209 I want to be 170. I'm mostly counting calories and exercising when and where I can. I'm eating a lot of the same foods I did at 270 and still losing/lost weight. Sure the route I'm taking is hard. I could have cut out all processed foods, worked out religiously for 5 days a week, and maybe even gone vegan or paleo to get faster results... but for me, food is a source of happiness, memories, and fun. I'd like to keep it that way and just control portion size. It's slower and not as efficient but I'm still enjoying food, my food costs haven't changed much and I'm still happy. That's all a girl can ask for right?
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!