What are your best whole grain healthy bread recipes?

Options
Jen800
Jen800 Posts: 548 Member
I was just reading another post about types of bread. Currently I eat a generally healthy bread, but I'd love to save money and know EXACTLY what's going into my bread.

So, do you have an amazing bread recipe? Looking for a tasty one that hopefully won't be too high calorie, but no problem if it is. Thanks guys!

Replies

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,994 Member
    Options
    Whole Wheat Fruit-Nut Bread
    (only half whole-wheat)

This is the last loaf I made, adapted from a recipe from a book of bread machine recipes (The Bread Machine Cookbook II by Donna Rathmell German) (I'm generally only cooking for one or two, so one loaf at a time makes sense; back when I was cooking for more people, I would cook three loaves at a time in the regular oven). As I made it, it had 167 calories per 59 grams (a little over two ounces, or roughly two slices, if you cut it fairly thin -- thin enough to get 20 slices from the loaf), with 3 g of fiber, 5 g of protein, and 68 mg of sodium.

To be honest, I didn't think it was great at first, just sliced with butter. But in sandwiches it was insanely good: grilled cheese with gruyere and marmalade; peanut butter and chocolate-raspberry jam; avocado and mustard; fried egg with avocado (I don't eat a lot of meat, but I bet it would be good with turkey and some crunchy veggies). It was also great toasted and spread with plain greek yogurt. As I made it, it had 167 calories per 59 grams (a little over two ounces, or roughly two slices, if you cut it fairly thin), with 3 g of fiber, 5 g of protein, and 68 mg of sodium.

1/4 tsp oil (to grease the pan)
    1 cup water
    1 Tbs (14 g) butter
    1 Tbs brown sugar, packed
    1/4 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp cinnamon
    1/4 cup wheat bran (I used Bob's Red Mill unprocessed miller's wheat bran) (the original recipe suggests oat bran as an alternative)
    1/2 cup wheat flakes (I used King Arthur malted wheat flakes) (the original recipe suggests oat flakes as an alternative)
    1/2 cup whole wheat flour (I used King Arthur white whole wheat flour)
    1 1/2 cups bread flour (I used King Arthur Sir Lancelot high protein bread flour)
    3/4 tsp gluten (if you use all-purpose flour in place of bread flour, you might want to increase it to 2 1/4 tsp)
    1 1/2 tsp yeast

1/4 cup dried fruit (the recipe called for raisins, but I substituted a mix of blueberry-flavored Craisins and diced dried plums)
    1/3 chopped nuts (I used 38 g of chopped English walnuts)

Follow the general directions for your bread machine, since some require the liquid ingredients to go in first, and others require dry ingredients first. If it has a beep for adding ingredients like fruit and nuts, use that; otherwise add at the beginning of the second kneading.

It was a 20 oz. loaf; I used the 1 lb. setting on the bread machine, basic cycle, with the light crust setting, because it has enough fat and sugar that it might get a little too dark on the regular crust setting. If you cook it in an oven, I think I'd try 350 degrees F for 40 minutes. Obviously, if you're not using a bread machine, you'll have to set it to rise after a first knead (by hand or with a dough hook or paddle on a mixer or food processor), punch it down, knead again, form a loaf, and set it for a second rise.
  • Jen800
    Options
    Thanks lynn. Anybody else want to share theirs :)?
  • Jen800
    Options
    anyoneee?!
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    I've tried a bunch of whole grain recipes just for a good sandwich bread. It's so hard to find a good one! King Arthur has some recipes that are the best, just google them.
  • Jen800
    Options
    I've tried a bunch of whole grain recipes just for a good sandwich bread. It's so hard to find a good one! King Arthur has some recipes that are the best, just google them.

I'll look up King Arthur :)
    I normally google all my recipes, but I want a tried and tested recipe that isn't gag-worthy haha. Who better to ask than my fellow MFP'ers?
  • Pintado
    Pintado Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Hi there, I have an amazing recipe for a loaf made with seeds, nuts and psyllium husk: http://www.mynewroots.org/site/2013/02/the-life-changing-loaf-of-bread/

It's pretty incredible smeared with avocado or nut butter. I don't have any sensitivities, but it also happens to be GF!
  • Jen800
    Options
    Hi there, I have an amazing recipe for a loaf made with seeds, nuts and psyllium husk: http://www.mynewroots.org/site/2013/02/the-life-changing-loaf-of-bread/

It's pretty incredible smeared with avocado or nut butter. I don't have any sensitivities, but it also happens to be GF!

wow! thank you! this looks so nutritious. Great find!