Craving Fried Food

Options
I'm sure I'm not alone on this one, but am curious how many people get that overwhelming desire to eat fried foods? If so, what do you do to kill the urge? I usually get the urge when passing by a store that is frying chicken, or when walking through the deli of the local supermarket. I try to find an alternative food source, but nothing kills the urge. I even try to reason with myself, but myself has a pretty compelling argument. Not sure what the argument is, but it is pretty compelling...

Replies

• Deestrong68
    Deestrong68 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Satisfy your urge, In Moderation. Eat something fried but only a small amount.
  • ScientificExplorerGirl
    Options
    Have some.
    I ate fried chicken for lunch yesterday. One piece with the skin, one without.
    I still lost weight today. Just track the calories and keep within your macro goals and you will be fine.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Eat fried food. Why look for an alternative?
  • listens
    listens Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    OOOOO fried food is my down fall too. so everyone suggesting eat it but it in moderation? can you just buy one wing? lol im serious just gonna focus and try harder
  • jonnythan
    Options
    OOOOO fried food is my down fall too. so everyone suggesting eat it but it in moderation? can you just buy one wing? lol im serious just gonna focus and try harder

One wing? Of course not. 5 wings and a plate of veggies? Definitely. Or just the 5 wings and veggies later.
  • JobyHux
    JobyHux Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I allow myself 1 cheat meal a week. I don't go over unless its the holidays! haha
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options
    Just buy a deep frier and get it over with.lol I have a brevelle deep frier and made sushi with some tempura, yum. Moderation mate.
  • BigBrunette
    BigBrunette Posts: 1,543 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with having a little fried food if that's what you're craving.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    I've got a 'Halo' air fryer - the actifry is similar.

It's not the same as 'proper' fried stuff, but does a very passable impression.
    Some people (not watching calories) actually prefer the 'chips' it makes because they're not as greasy as normal ones.
    (Chips=fries if you're american.)
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    Im going to fuddruckers tomorrow and im going to blow my whole days calories on sweet potatoe fries and onion rings with a greasy feta covered cheeseburger. In for fried(with moderation of course) !!
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    For me it's fried chicken, and I take the shocking and unprecedented move of eating fried chicken . . .
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    here is what I do..

make room in my diary
    eat less for breakfast and/or lunch
    eat the fried food

move on ..

as long as you stay in a calorie deficit or at maintenance no big deal

end thread/
  • NRSPAM
    NRSPAM Posts: 961 Member
    Options

One wing? Of course not. 5 wings and a plate of veggies? Definitely. Or just the 5 wings and veggies later.

Hot wings with the celery sticks they come with, dipped in ranch or blue cheese. Yumm!!!! There's your veggies. :wink: :happy:
  • scammah
    Options
    The problem is if you don't satisfy that desire and eat other stuff instead you are just adding to calories that will eventually be added to with the fried food. Eat in moderation, you would be surprised how little you need to satisfy your cravings.
  • FindingMyPerfection
    Options
    If you want a fried food day adjust your macros to accommodate it. Drop your carbs down for the day and satisfy your craving.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options

This doesn't happen to me too often, but I agree with this advice.
  • palmirana
    palmirana Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I once craved french fries, and had them, and it felt like I dropped a brick in my stomach (after weeks of eating healthily)... I felt sick the whole afternoon!!! So not again any time soon.... Go figure I used to eat that stuff almost every day in the past!
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options

I agree. It's cold (at least here). Your body wants fat. Give it some in moderation.

Good fats at high temperature don't soak into the food. Cheese will satisfy the same craving. My favorite recipe to satisfy all such cravings was invented by my husband. 30-50 calories each. Four are a lot of them.

Drop one tablespoon of shredded cheese onto hot teflon frying pan (pecarrino, cheddar, colby, whatever).
    Sprinkle a smallish number of sliced almonds onto the cheese.
    Sprinkle more cheese on top to glue down the almonds.

The cheese will start to brown - like the yummy edge of a pizza. When it looks pretty solid (a minute or two), gently flip it like an egg. Let cook another minute. Take off and cool. Put on paper to drain fat.

Eat like chips. OR you can curl them when hot and fill them with whatever you'd like.

The protein and fat is incredibly satisfying and even two kill my cravings for almost anything. Great with fresh fruit, wine, or martinis.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    I once craved french fries, and had them, and it felt like I dropped a brick in my stomach (after weeks of eating healthily)... I felt sick the whole afternoon!!! So not again any time soon.... Go figure I used to eat that stuff almost every day in the past!

Sounds like you mean "low fat" by "healthily." Common mistake.
  • FindingMyPerfection
    Options

Sounds like you mean "low fat" by "healthily." Common mistake.
    Giggle snort* I needed that!