protein and low cholesterol

Options
Weight is coming off about 1 lb. a week, with the help of mfp which opened my eyes to what I was acatually eating.
I love beans, barley, all vegetables, oatmeal. etc. Gave up sugar and alcohol entirely and do not miss it. Now the problem I have is
getting enough protein, since last test showed high cholesterol. Any ideas how to get more protein besides the whey powder
instead of meat and eggs? Need help as I do not want to go on statins.

Replies

• WY4ever
    WY4ever Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Beef gelatin and greek yogurt are two more
  • margaretdoggett1
    margaretdoggett1 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Will try the greek yogurt. what is beef gelatin? Is it like bone broth?
  • AmykinsCatfood
    AmykinsCatfood Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Eggs will actually help increase good cholesterol while lowering the bad and they are a good source of protein. Cheese, avocados, tofu, almonds, nuts/legumes all have a good portion of protein and they have good fats as well.

Support for the eggs aren't bad: http://www.livescience.com/39353-eggs-dont-deserve-bad-reputation.html
    http://www.health.harvard.edu/press_releases/egg-nutrition
  • momjmd
    momjmd Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I make fruit smoothies with Fage Greek 0% fat yogurt, 5 strawberries and a splash (about an 1 ounce) of OJ. Yummy. I also eat light string cheese. When in a hurry at breakfast, I choose the convenience of a slimfast high protein (20 grams protein/4 carb) chocolate shake.
  • danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    my cholesterol and triglycerides dropped doing a high fat/low carb diet. 18pts on cholesterol and 89pts on the triglycerides. I eat a dozen eggs a week easy along with all kinds of other allegedly bad food like bacon, sausage, steak, chicken with the skin etc.

If you are looking for low fat proteins, boneless skinless chicken breast, fish, pork tenderloin are all good. I wouldn't rely on whey or other protein powders to replace real food.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    The cholesterol in foods has little to no impact on blood serum levels according to recent studies.