I need a hummus intervention!!

Options
2»

Replies

• abyt42
    abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Tribe Hummus is so much better than Athenos, I think....especially in the garlic flavor! Thanks for the recipe, too. I'm trying to up my chickpea intake.
  • tarapin
    tarapin Posts: 169
    Options
    Sabra's also has a Spinach Artichoke hummus that totally rocks but the only place I ever see it, is at Costco! I <3 Hummus!
  • cardswimmom
    Options
    I have to make it from scratch twice a week because my whole family is addicted. My husband and kids would finish the little jar from Trader Joe's in an afternoon. My son takes it to school in a Ziploc for dipping his celery so he goes through alot.

My recipe:

2 cloves garlic, minced
    1 (15 oz) can garbanzo beans, drained
    1/3 cup tahini paste (ground sesame seeds)
    1/3 cup lemon juice
    1/2 cup roasted red peppers (buy in jar or roast)
    1/4 teaspoon dried basil

Mix all in food processor until smooth. I swap the red peppers for tomato and basil to mix things up. Hopes this helps keep your addition flourishing!

I have substituted 1 tsp soy sauce (reduced sodium) for the tahini paste and I can't tell the difference..I make it all the time as well, I loved dipping all colored peppers in it!:love:
  • laughingdani
    laughingdani Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    Sabra's also has a Spinach Artichoke hummus that totally rocks but the only place I ever see it, is at Costco! I <3 Hummus!
    I saw it at Wal-Mart too! I haven't tried it yet, but it sounds good. I might get that flavor next time!
  • pickledlilly
    pickledlilly Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I have to make it from scratch twice a week because my whole family is addicted. My husband and kids would finish the little jar from Trader Joe's in an afternoon. My son takes it to school in a Ziploc for dipping his celery so he goes through alot.

My recipe:

2 cloves garlic, minced
    1/3 cup lemon juice
    1/4 teaspoon dried basil

This is so great!! Just think of all the substitute additions that could be made for individual tastes!! THANKS!!

Mix all in food processor until smooth. I swap the red peppers for tomato and basil to mix things up. Hopes this helps keep your addition flourishing!

When you put the beans in do you drain the can or leave the liquid in please because mine was really dry.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options

My recipe:

2 cloves garlic, minced
    1/3 cup lemon juice
    1/4 teaspoon dried basil

Thank you Thank you Thank you! My husband and I are in a budget crunch, and I haven't had money for hummus, but I've been looking for a decent recipe. Now I have one! :wink:

and you an sub the roasted red peppers with just about anything. I make it with jalepenos, or pine nuts, or fresh basil....oh yeah.;..roasted eggplant.......mmmmmmm I am sick today but the hummus in the fridge may be my saving grace
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options

My recipe:

2 cloves garlic, minced
    1/3 cup lemon juice
    1/4 teaspoon dried basil

This is so great!! Just think of all the substitute additions that could be made for individual tastes!! THANKS!!

When you put the beans in do you drain the can or leave the liquid in please because mine was really dry.

When you drain the beans save the liquid then add it back after you've processed it so you can get the consistency you want. Do this after you've added lemon juice and seasonings.

I am completely addicted to hummus too. I often use it as a sandwich spread to increase my protein intake! I've also combined it with plain non-fat greek yogurt for sandwiches and dips just for variety.
  • SatelliteCrush80
    SatelliteCrush80 Posts: 3,575 Member
    Options
    I can't help either, because I'm sitting here eating it with my veggies...and spread some on my sandwich too! I have the Tribe Spicy Chipotle this time, but might have to switch it up after seeing some of these other ones y'all listed!
  • trixygirl
    Options
    I'm having it for lunch today too, wish some celery. I love it. I think sun dried tomato is on the agenda for today.
  • LaSirena29
    Options
    Sorry; I'm a total hummus pusher. I'm partial to Sabra garlic hummus with Triscuit crackers. :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

Exactly what I have packed for my afternoon snack today! Yum! :laugh:

One of my favorite greek resturants comes to your table with a mortar and pestle filled with chick peas, a big scoop of chopped garlic and a few other ingredients. They make the hummus right at your table and boy, is it good! If I wasn't out in public, I would probably just grab a spoon and start eating.
  • jasonweinberg
    Options
    hummus was the first food i ate coming off liquids and i have had a problem with it ver since. i love it, but have a hard time stopping. i wish it had a little more protein in it...
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    Nice to know I'm not alone in my addiction!! :laugh:
  • cardigirl
    cardigirl Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Since no one else mentioned it, I love the Good Neighbors hummus that I find at Whole Food, the roasted garlic kind. Yummy!!!!!
  • sincereme
    Options
    I've seen it at Stop and Shop!! I have to try it. Love hummus. makes a great sandwich with just A slice of tomato and whole wheat bread!!!

• sincereme
    Options
    i tried the Spinach Artichoke Hummus by Sabra. Yummers!!!:tongue:
  • msemejuru
    msemejuru Posts: 229
    Options

My recipe:

2 cloves garlic, minced
    1/3 cup lemon juice
    1/4 teaspoon dried basil

I put the beans in then add the liquid while blending to get the the right consistency. Sometimes I need it thick if I know I am using most of the batch for for wraps.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    The best I've tasted is at a Mediterranean restaurant near me, called Fadi's...next best was Whole Foods' "Out to Lunch" just regular hummus. SO tasty. I could spoon it out and eat it by itself!! I tried making my own and it wasn't that great... my favorite "flavor" would have to be roasted red pepper - I'm partial to the Sabra myself!
  • kaffro
    kaffro Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    After reading this earlier today, I totally went to the grocery store to get some. I'm having it now...Tribe sun dried tomato and basil, yummo! Oh, and I got some Kellogg's Special K whole grain crackers to eat with it, delish!
  • brityn
    brityn Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    Oh I love it! Thanks for the recipe