How do you learn to be patient and not go crazy quick

Options
2»

Replies

• smoothieeez
    Options
    To be honest I'm the same. I've gone on crazy diets and lost 5 kilos in one week-yeah no joke. I've gone on a no sugar diet and ended up binging so much I threw up. I've also sprinted on level 16 till I I felt I couldn't breath and nearly fainted in the gym. These are experiences that I' not happy with but these mistakes are what made me learn something valuable.

I've wanted to lose weight as quickly as I consumed most junk food or good foods, but the thought at the back of my mind would be-why? and what's my purpose? I realized the reason I wanted to lose weight was because of other people and I had to find my 'own' perseverance. So my reason is to concentrate on the core pleasure of being healthy, looking healthy and being strong!
    It's a new way hightening your senses and to live life lighter, freer and clean- It's a journey.

Now I've also learned that the life style you enjoy the most is the one you stick to forever. If you're bored already then do something different, explore! Do what 'you want' than ' I should do this or that'. Eat food you love, but in moderation and have a plan of how much you're going to eat on a daily basis-if you binge don't kick yourself, smile and say I deserve that binge and I'm ready to keep on going, just take out calories you consumed too much little by little each day. It works and I've lost weight while eating my favorite foods :)

I've binged a lot and never had I punished myself by going to the gym and sprinted on level 16 till I collapsed. I see it as an opportunity to learn your patterns of eating and finding the perfect health lifestyle for you. I take things day by day and only focus on the pleasures of what I have and the comforts of being at my own pace. Everything is an opportunity and nothing is a loss, we build and grow and someday all of us will reach the top, we just need to think like champions not failures.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    sign up for a race. find one in july, so you have the next six months to stay focused. running and cycling? i recommend you throw in some swimming, and do a triathlon. no pool access? check out a duathlon.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    Simple: it's easier! The slow way is just so, so much easier that it doesn't take nearly as much motivation. It's pretty darned boring, but it's not all that hard. Easier is my favorite, so no problem ;)
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    I've lost around 19lbs since I started a month ago, I've done it by going from zero exercise and eating about 4000 calories a day, to running, cycling and eating around 1800. It's been fun to challenge myself and remind my body who is boss by flexing my willpower muscle, but now I'm starting to get bored with it.

I'm very good at doing things for a short time

How do YOU learn to be patient and be happy with losing maybe one pound a week?I am naturally the hairy old hare who starts great but quickly burns out...

Thanks for any advice....

mx

You've kinda of answered your own question. You KNOW that you're the hare who burns out... so, after a month, you're burning out again. To have lost 19 lbs in one month, you've obviously made some radical changes. It sounds like you MUST call some kind of audible, and transition to something you can stick with. Consider the initial 19 lb loss as a 'jumpstart....' and just rework your program now, to add back in some foods that you really enjoy. Or change up, or reduce the cardio. You've got options....
  • ambience13
    ambience13 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    After a lifetime of being obese, I'm STILL addicted to the quick fix. The first week or three were fine, slow and steady, but then I got impatient and went boom shanka, dropped a lot quickly. Then stalled with binging. Then lost a lot quickly, then stalled with binging, it's a never ending cycle, bouts of bulimia thrown in, and I'm still caught up in it. Though thankfully now, I can realise when I'm emotionally eating, and instead of lasting a few weeks, it's now just a few days, which usually coincides with something important/stressful happening with life. But then I go back into the adult ego state (transactional analysis fan here!) and realise that binging won't help, self awareness, and the next day I start being healthy again.

So although the self awareness is now there, I'm still caught up in the black/white, all or nothing thought pattern. Although, this is still a darn side more healthy than where I was at 135kg, eating us out of house and home due to mental and emotional issues. I'm slowly working on the mental and emotional side of things, after finally finding something that works for me and my situation (transactional analysis, I love you!). So by joining this website, and reading a lot of nutritional advice/information (not the media inspired propaganda!), I'm hoping to move into a state of stability regarding eating habits etc.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    You have to wrap your head around the bigger picture. Your health, nutrition, and fitness are lifetime endeavors...there really is no finish line...you are never done...reaching some arbitrary scale value is just the beginning. I liken it to college...everyone is in a rush to graduate and be "done"...in reality, that's when the real **** starts...you have to get an actual job and **** and become a responsible and respectable member of society.

Once you start wrapping your brain around that, your nutrition and fitness do not become these sorta extra things that you're doing right now...they become a part of who you are. For me, having a diet that is overwhelmingly nutrient dense and living a lifestyle that involves regular rides on my bike, weight lifting at the gym, 5Ks, and cycling events, and mud runs, and cyclocross races are just as much a part of an ordinary day as brushing my teeth and taking a shower.

So much of this. There's no alternative. There's no quitting. There's no crying in baseball.

To be honest, I feel so much happier with the way I eat now as opposed to before. I can't even imagine going back to the way I was eating before.
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    stop thinking of it as a race (tortoise hare analogy) with an end point. Like brushing our teeth we know there will never be a day we are done brushing our teeth if we want to maintain a healthy smile you brush them every day same for the body you do something for it every day to maintain a healthy body. If goals and accomplishment is your motivation then you look for the next area of your body/performance you can improve so if that means running further, lifting more or averaging 35g or more of fiber in your diet...whatever keeps you with life long of health, improvement, and evolution.

Love this tooth brushing analogy! Going to hang onto this in my mind.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    When your approach to it becomes more intrinsic rather than extrinsic, you'll understand.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • SKME2013
    SKME2013 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I get my patience in seeing my weightloss not as a result of a "diet" but as a result of a change in lifestyle. I do not only watch my calorie intake but I have changed my dietary habits and am now very keen on eating as healthy as possible.

Th problem though for me is that I became a bit food obsessed not in terms of how many calories my foods contain but more in WHAT I am eating. I started to read labels very carefully and stopped eating fast food, drinking Coke and eating too many sweeties.

Losing weight for me is only part of the equation, I want to live healthier!
    Stef.
  • NRSPAM
    NRSPAM Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    For me, personally, I love Zumba. I have some days when I feel like I'm bored with it, but it's really just me being lazy. I just get up, go to the gym, and do it anyways, and when I'm done, I feel great!!! You can still add other things you like to do, and switch it up. Find what you like. You could try boxing, or something different. Do you lift??? I never thought that would be something I'd like, but I do. I love it! I even love being sore, as torturous as it may be at times. ;) It doesn't always have to be things we consider "exercise," either. Try going for a walk, or if you have kids, get outside and play with them. Play sports with someone. I like to compete with my kids outside, for fun when it's warmer. We'll have running competitions, just for fun. Of course I never win, but that's ok. Lol. ;)