Shakeology protein shakes

Options
Are they a waste of my money? If so, why?

Replies

• RavenhairedWoman
    RavenhairedWoman Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I am trying to figure this out myself. Researching Shakeology has turned up decent reviews and a lot of reviews of how bad it tastes by itself. While researching it I also started looking into something called 310 Shake. I don't know much about it but it sounds like it might be good. Like I said, I am not an expert but I am leaning toward trying the 310 Shake because it is cheaper and still seems to be all natural like Shakeology. Either way, here are the sites I used to get info on Shakeology and 310 Shake.

Shake Diet Reviews: http://shakedietreviews.com/

I hope that helps!
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    Yes, they are, imo. There have been numerous threads about this, do a search and you can read pages and pages of arguments about whether it's a waste of money and back and forth about the nutrition. You'll also notice that many of the people coming to the defense of Shakeology in the threads are coaches, so that's also something you might want to take into consideration as you do your research into whether it's the right option for you.
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    I noticed your note to Beachbody coaches on your profile, Just out of curiosity.... have you been getting approached by many BB coaches at MFP?
  • Gemmz2014
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your response. I did enjoy the chocolate but it's so expensive.
    I noticed your note to Beachbody coaches on your profile, Just out of curiosity.... have you been getting approached by many BB coaches at MFP?

Yes I have, have you?
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's a waste of money, unless you really love it and really want it.

You can make your own shake or smoothie at home for a fraction of the cost.
  • annekka
    annekka Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Buy a container of protein powder and do a search for shake recipes here on the forum. Cheaper in the long run and no unknown chemicals going into your body. As long as you eat a balanced diet anyway or take a multivitamin you're getting exactly what Shakeology would provide and much cheaper.
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your response. I did enjoy the chocolate but it's so expensive.

Yes I have, have you?

No. But, I figured you started getting them, after you made a thread about Shakeology. It's like throwing chum into a shark tank.... it just sends them into a frenzy.... :smile:
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    It's an over-priced, over-hyped meal replacement shake, sold by a multi-level marketing company using salespeople who call themselves "coaches," most of whom wouldn't know how to coach a little league football game if they fell into one.

There is absolutely no good reason to replace meals with shakes. Eat food, count your calories, make sure you hit your protein and fat macros, get enough fiber, and work out regularly.
  • BamaBreezeNSaltAire
    Options
    It's an over-priced, over-hyped meal replacement shake, sold by a multi-level marketing company using salespeople who call themselves "coaches," most of whom wouldn't know how to coach a little league football game if they fell into one.

There is absolutely no good reason to replace meals with shakes. Eat food, count your calories, make sure you hit your protein and fat macros, get enough fiber, and work out regularly.

+1 And those beachbody coaches will worry the absolute daylights out of you. There is someone on my Facebook that is a BB coach and I finally had to delete her. She's skinny, but that's all she is. No muscle and no definition at all. I want to be STRONG because in the end that's what keeps your bones together. Plus I like my wallet heavier than my body!
  • Gemmz2014
    Options
    I have a BB Coach and I love him. He doesn't ever pressure me. He asks how I'm doing and he is an inspiration. I have, however, come across those that are a pain in the *kitten*, that is why I immediately tell them I have a coach.

He isn't encouraging me to buy the shakes and he has provided me with samples in the past.... he just doesn't have any samples of the vegan chocolate at the moment. He was honest and said his wife uses the regular chocolate, which I have had and loved.

I agree 100% but I am at my job from 7:30am til 5:30 three days a week and it would sure be great to not have to worry about preparing a meal. I'm so freakin tired of that!
  • SunofaBeach14
    Options
    I have a BB Coach and I love him. He doesn't ever pressure me. He asks how I'm doing and he is an inspiration. I have, however, come across those that are a pain in the *kitten*, that is why I immediately tell them I have a coach.

He isn't encouraging me to buy the shakes and he has provided me with samples in the past.... he just doesn't have any samples of the vegan chocolate at the moment. He was honest and said his wife uses the regular chocolate, which I have had and loved.

I agree 100% but I am at my job from 7:30am til 5:30 three days a week and it would sure be great to not have to worry about preparing a meal. I'm so freakin tired of that!

If you like the shakes and don't mind paying for them, then enjoy them. But, keep in mind the reason that your "coach" is encouraging you to buy the shakes is that he makes money off of them. You can do just as well with a protein powder that includes multi-vitamin content, and it is quite a bit cheaper.
  • Gemmz2014
    Options

If you like the shakes and don't mind paying for them, then enjoy them. But, keep in mind the reason that your "coach" is encouraging you to buy the shakes is that he makes money off of them. You can do just as well with a protein powder that includes multi-vitamin content, and it is quite a bit cheaper.

You must've misunderstood, He does not encourage me. I usually approach him with questions about products.

I know I can find protein shakes that are cheaper but do they have as many awesome ingredients? Are they a meal replacement or just protein? I am also looking for taste, that is why in my other thread I asked if anyone has tried the vegan chocolate.

Here are the ingredients in the vegan chocolate:

http://images.beachbody.com/tbb/store/shakeology/pdf/ShakeologyCholocateVegan_Ingredients.pdf
  • SunofaBeach14
    Options

You must've misunderstood, He does not encourage me. I usually approach him with questions about products.

I know I can find protein shakes that are cheaper but do they have as many awesome ingredients? Are they a meal replacement or just protein? I am also looking for taste, that is why in my other thread I asked if anyone has tried the vegan chocolate.

http://images.beachbody.com/tbb/store/shakeology/pdf/ShakeologyCholocateVegan_Ingredients.pdf

LOL - creative marketing ploy.

Reported as spam
  • annekka
    annekka Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    1 scoop of protein powder contains 24 g protein on average. Blend with fresh fruits and veg and yes you probably don't have the so called "nutritional" powerhouse of a shakeology shake, but I know I feel more comfortable getting my nutrients from real foods instead of however processed the ingredients that a shakeology shake claims to have has. When they've been processed that much I can't help but wonder how much nutrition they still contain.

Why not make Sundays your cooking day? Cook up a meal for the week and preportion it into 5 containers to grab from the fridge and eat for lunch.
  • Gemmz2014
    Options

Reported as spam

Are you accusing me of spam?
  • Gemmz2014
    Options
    1 scoop of protein powder contains 24 g protein on average. Blend with fresh fruits and veg and yes you probably don't have the so called "nutritional" powerhouse of a shakeology shake, but I know I feel more comfortable getting my nutrients from real foods instead of however processed the ingredients that a shakeology shake claims to have has. When they've been processed that much I can't help but wonder how much nutrition they still contain.

Why not make Sundays your cooking day? Cook up a meal for the week and preportion it into 5 containers to grab from the fridge and eat for lunch.

I do cook every sunday, crock pot, awesome!!! However, I have breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks at work, really sucks.

I do juice in the morning to get my veggies in :-)

I have made smoothies in the morning with fruit to eat later in the day but it's just not the same, especially adding a banana. Just doesn't taste as good as freshly made. That's why I was hoping for one as a replacement for dinner. Also, I love eating my banana vs drinking it :smile:
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options

Do you know how much of those awesome ingredients need to be present in a food in order for it to make any difference whatsoever? Does Shakeology contain those levels? And are the awesome ingredients of a high quality? Or did they just use lower quality ingredients so they could say something was in there on the label and save themselves money? There's a lot of things you need to consider when you are looking at any kind of supplement.
  • Gemmz2014
    Options

Reported as spam

Just so you know, anyone with half a brain can look up the ingredients. My God, some people.
  • SunofaBeach14
    Options

Do you know how much of those awesome ingredients need to be present in a food in order for it to make any difference whatsoever? Does Shakeology contain those levels? And are the awesome ingredients of a high quality? Or did they just use lower quality ingredients so they could say something was in there on the label and save themselves money? There's a lot of things you need to consider when you are looking at any kind of supplement.

She's juicing too. I highly doubt that she's thought about any of this in detail. My guess is that she's helping her "coach" out with this silly thread.
  • Gemmz2014
    Options

You're absolutely right! This is why I am approaching the topic. I have been looking for a meal replacement vegan protein shake forever it seems.... not as a daily replacement but for those "days" you just would prefer not cooking or eating the same thing over and over.

I went to Feel Rite (health food store) and they have sample packets of so many different shakes and none of them were that great. I only tried the vanilla though, I guess it's time to go back there and buy some chocolate ones. Not even half the amount of money of Shakeology!