Help me help a friend (breastfeeding)

WarmDontBurn
WarmDontBurn Posts: 1,253 Member
edited September 21 in Health and Weight Loss
A friend of mine has been trying to lose weight. She is a breastfeeding mom and has some questions.
She wants to be sure that she is doing what is right for her and baby yet still able to lose weigh herself.

She is 5'5" and 150lbs.

MFP started her off at 1200 calories and she was starving and also notice a big drop in her milk supply. She then upped it to 1800 but stopped losing weight. She re-entered her goals and it has now set her to 1500 calories. She is just unsure if that is enough while breastfeeding.

Can anyone here help and share some advice. I would love to help her but I quit breastfeeding before I started so I am just no help.

Replies

• JPotvin
    JPotvin Posts: 108
    Hi! I did the same thing :) Too little and you starve, too much and you stay the same. Please make sure to tell your friend that she should at least be getting 8 (minimum) glasses of water. That was my biggest problem...and lots of protein. I think if she stays under/near 1600 she should lose, slowly and safely without compromising her milk supply
  • WarmDontBurn
    WarmDontBurn Posts: 1,253 Member
    Thanks so much. I will pass along the info to her :flowerforyou:
  • I remember hearing that a BFing woman should have about 1800 cals a day…..that seems like a lot to me (I don't think i needed that when I BF my kids). I think 1600-1700 should be okay, as long as she is getting nutrient rich food, not junk food. So, lots of calcium for the milk, protein, and a minimum 8 glasses of water. So, make the calories count is what I would suggest.
  • lesliemk
    lesliemk Posts: 382 Member
    I'm 5'5" and eating 1900 calories a day while exclusively nursing our 3m old daughter. I've been losing about 2lbs per week.
This discussion has been closed.