Ladies [ONLY]

Options

Replies

• BreatheAshley
    BreatheAshley Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    My first day, every month, is awful. I have no energy, my cramps are terrible, and there are other TMI issues. But after that, it's fine. If you have a really bad day, it's okay to take one day off. But, work through it if you can on the other days. The movement really does make the pain subside a little.

Same here, the first day is awful and sometimes the second day is too then I usually start to feel better but sometimes I will get cramps the week before (during pms) and even after. I just pretty much suffer for a long time it seems like.
  • ThinkInOregon
    Options
    Here is a blog entry from one of my MFP friends, I had NO idea about the metabolic effect of your cycle...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1194957-tip-of-the-day-aunt-who

I never allowed my TOM to interfere with my daily life, I can't even imagine...
  • BreatheAshley
    Options
    Also, Youtube yoga for menstruation. There are quite a few helpful poses out there!

Alright, I think I will in a little bit.
  • BreatheAshley
    Options
    Here is a blog entry from one of my MFP friends, I had NO idea about the metabolic effect of your cycle...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1194957-tip-of-the-day-aunt-who

I never allowed my TOM to interfere with my daily life, I can't even imagine...

I will check that out soon.
  • linsey0689
    linsey0689 Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    I'm not a ton of help in this area because I have pretty light periods but if they were heavy and I wasn't feeling the gym I would do something at home.
  • BreatheAshley
    Options
    Thank you. :)
  • Marcia315
    Marcia315 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I just took two Ibuprofen because that is all I have but that stuff usually never works for me.

Take 3 or 4.
  • Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    Options
    Ah, this question, almost always the deal when you open a "ladies only" thread ;)

Personally, I think that unless you have a specific condition that warrants extra care during this time, you're doing a disservice to yourself to lay around. Not only does it interrupt a workout routine, but you are more likely to eat more than you should. Women, in turn, tend to beat themselves up over being off on calories, which doesn't help the situation. So you have to ask yourself, can you make it a intake-only calorie management day?

Rest days are generally important for any successful workout plan, but this doesn't mean sitting around and staying in bed. If you're up and about, just do a little extra. Walk more at the store, get up from your desk at work more often, do something light but still active if it is really bothering you.

We like to give ourselves excuses so that we don't have to do what we know we should be doing. The *gasp* period is a classic and quite overly used excuse. If you bleed heavy, I'd put in a Soft Cup and go on with your bad self.
    If your periods are so bad that they keep you from wanting to do anything, it's time to talk to your doctor.
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    I find it really depends on the month, some months I get horrible hormone induced migraines, which are made much worse with physical activity, other months it isn't so bad and getting up and moving help my cramping a lot. I don't think that missing a day or 2 out of a month is going to set you back, but you know yourself better than anyone else.
  • LindseyAlyssa
    Options
    It's easy to avoid working out while on your period, but it's actually great for alleviating cramps. Yoga and Pilates are my go to on period days, and even circuit training on lighter days.
  • BreatheAshley
    Options
    Ah, this question, almost always the deal when you open a "ladies only" thread ;)

Personally, I think that unless you have a specific condition that warrants extra care during this time, you're doing a disservice to yourself to lay around. Not only does it interrupt a workout routine, but you are more likely to eat more than you should. Women, in turn, tend to beat themselves up over being off on calories, which doesn't help the situation. So you have to ask yourself, can you make it a intake-only calorie management day?

Rest days are generally important for any successful workout plan, but this doesn't mean sitting around and staying in bed. If you're up and about, just do a little extra. Walk more at the store, get up from your desk at work more often, do something light but still active if it is really bothering you.

We like to give ourselves excuses so that we don't have to do what we know we should be doing. The *gasp* period is a classic and quite overly used excuse. If you bleed heavy, I'd put in a Soft Cup and go on with your bad self.
    If your periods are so bad that they keep you from wanting to do anything, it's time to talk to your doctor.

I love your attitude. You rock!
  • StaceyJ2008
    StaceyJ2008 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    you actually burn more fat during your cycle per Rachel Cosgrove. If you don't know who she is just google her.
  • BreatheAshley
    Options
    you actually burn more fat during your cycle per Rachel Cosgrove. If you don't know who she is just google her.

Yeah, I noticed I usually drop 2 pounds after mine is done.
  • SeaTurtleJenni
    SeaTurtleJenni Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    depends on the "leak factor"

^^This^^

I've never had cramps, but I've seen friends who were in no shape for exercise.

If you can, you should, but if not, don't feel guilty about it. I try to get exercise during that time because I crave porterhouse steaks and other high iron/high calorie foods that I don't crave any other time, so I kind of have to work out.
  • 19TaraLynn84
    19TaraLynn84 Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    It all depends on you! Try to push yourself to workout if you can. But please don't let anyone make you feel bad if you can't! I know it's fun to have the "If I can do it, so can you" attitude. But some women literally can't do much of anything during that time. I used to be one of them.

Bottom line is, every person is different. Do what you can. There is no actual "rule" that you shouldn't workout during your tom.
  • rachelamber_x
    rachelamber_x Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Well for me the first day usually involves being curled up in a ball either feeling like I'm going to vomit or actually vomiting due to the pain, so I skip that day.
    Day 2 is better on the vomiting front but it pretty much hurts to do things, even stretching sometimes makes me feel ill.

After that then I go to the gym as normal though.

Just work around how you feel. Don't use it as an excuse, but if you are physically unable to exercise then give yourself a rest day :)
  • rachelamber_x
    rachelamber_x Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I just took two Ibuprofen because that is all I have but that stuff usually never works for me.

Take 3 or 4.

Um, no don't, overdosing is bad.
    If they are 200mg take 2, if they are 400mg take one.
    No more!!
  • BreatheAshley
    Options
    Well I don't go to the gym on Sundays and since tomorrow is Sunday, I figured it wouldn't hurt me to go today.
  • genjgal
    genjgal Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Certain exercises are actually helpful. I get bad lower back cramps, so bicep curls, eliptical, etc. don't work for me the first couple of days. I often just do stretches on my first day.
  • Marcia315
    Marcia315 Posts: 460 Member
    Options

Take 3 or 4.

Um, no don't, overdosing is bad.
    If they are 200mg take 2, if they are 400mg take one.
    No more!!

3 or 4 isn't an overdose. Prescription ibuprofen is 800 mg.