The gym feel like monotonous torture.

Options
I don't know why but I just can't convince myself to go to the gym. I have been going for a little over a year now and it is just starting to feel like a chore. I can't even convince myself to do a 7 minute workout app. I'm burnt out but if I don't go I'll end up right back where I started.

Replies

• SJ46
    SJ46 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Can you try something new, maybe a class? Bring a friend?
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    GOOD LUCK... if you can plow through doing SOMETHING, like taking a walk or something, until you can get the feeling back, that would be better than giving everything up. YOU CAN!
  • apeacefulway
    Options
    This is why I don't even bother with a gym membership. I spent the money on some warm clothes and crampons for my sneakers. I do all my workouts outside, even in the winter. In the time would have taken me to get my gym bag packed, gone to the gym, and worked out, I'm already done :)
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Give yourself some motivation: If you run or cycle sign up for a race or event and set a time you want to make to give yourself some new goals. Find a buddy to workout with, especially someone more fit than you, get yourself a little friendly competition going. Try something different, go for a hike somewhere pretty. Or if you feel good doing good things for others see if you can run/walk dogs at a local shelter or something like that. Exercise can be a cool part of life if you find your own niche :)
  • Madmarsha
    Options
    Does it have steam? Sauna? Maybe just go and relax but go to keep in the habit. Or go ahead and put on your gym clothes even if you think you're not going till a little later and then maybe you'll get in the mood since you're already dressed. I dunno. Easy for me to say, I haven't been going a year. But I know I'm going to need some ways later on to "trick" my mind.
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    What are you doing there? Have you tried different things? Are you eating enough?
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    If you dont like the gym do your workouts at home. You tube has loads of exercises. I use fitness blender.com and Hasfit.com for my exercises. When I can I will go to the gym for a spin class. I hate exercise and I am clock watching whilst doing it but Its worth it in the end. My body has changed for the better and I am getting stronger. So for me its a chore too but I will just continue.
  • AlwaysInMotion
    AlwaysInMotion Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Well, annoyingly enough, the word "work" is part of the word "workout"... Try to find something new to challenge yourself each time you go, like try a new machine, drop into a new class, or rock out to a newly downloaded playlist... Or go do something outside that day, instead (run, bike, hike...) Sometimes you have to intentionally break up the monotony. For example, when I really don't want to do my weight set, I load up this silly smartphone app called Body Fate. It's a random workout generator that's a little game-ish. It totally mixes things up for me, and before you know it I'm done!
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Just go outside or something. Take a break from the gym.

Try something different: bike ride, hike, run, etc...