im never going to loose weight.

Options
i started this site on 8/25, for months before i even joined ive been eating healthy and working out and within 3-4 months i lost a couple of pounds..not much.so i joined this site..ive been working out, eating right, counting calories...everything i can do..and today is 9/13..and i've lost 1 pound! from 8/25 till now...1 pound. what is wrong with me! its such a downer.

Replies

• Rissa_Marie
    Options
    I feel your pain.. i lost like 4 pounds and i started to gain weight! i dont know what im doing wrong but it brings me down and makes me wanna give up. I feel like no matter how hard i try im never gonna get this weight off. And on top of that we wanna start tryin for another baby! I'll be a whale before i know it!
  • fitterpam
    fitterpam Posts: 3,086 Member
    Options
    Without being able to see your diary, it's only going to be a few guesses on the most common reasons.

1. Are your weight loss goals realistic?
    2. Are you drinking enough water?
    3. Is it possible you've hit a plateau?
    4. What is an average day like for your exercise/food wise?
    5. Have you set your goals properly?

On the homepage, check your goals and see what your daily expediture is set at. Depending on how much you currently weigh - 1lb loss might be realistic.
  • brittonymiller
    brittonymiller Posts: 2,061 Member
    Options
    The only other thing I could think of is whether or not you are eating all of your allotted calories. Starvation mode makes you gain weight. It's really weird to have to eat more to lose more, but it really happens.
  • Mesmereyes
    Mesmereyes Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I'm fairly new myself so I'm not the the best for this or I would offer but.... have someone or a couple of people review your food diary. I was having the hardest time making good food choices, that would curb hunger and still be healthy. For instance, I have a horrible sweet tooth. So, I thought as long as I could get the snickers, carrot cake, gummy bears, and licorice add up to a little less than my calorie goal limit, I was doing good. NOT! I have seen some posts on the boards suggesting that some are not getting enough fiber, or are eating too few calories to lose. Just a thought. Good luck and keep at it!
  • jodie_t
    jodie_t Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I lose at about 2lb a month.. if I'm lucky! I really don't know what to do about it either apart from making myself so hungry I can't move, I have done that a few times and it's really really miserable, plus you can't keep it up long term anyway. So I just plod on. However I never had this prob til I hit menopause so I'm convinced hormone probs have something to do with it. The only other time this happened was when I went on the oestrogen-only BC pill, (a very long time ago). I put on a lot of weight and couldn't shift it - stopped the pill and about 14lbs fell off me in a week or two - very dramatic...turned out it was all water!. Makes me wonder if yours is possibly hormone related.. or something similar - thyroid ?
  • sunshine4me
    sunshine4me Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    You won't lose weight as long as you say you won't lose weight! Sounds like you are turning into your own worst enemy. Try to keep your thoughts positive. You lost one pound. That's better than gaining three. Do you have a pedometer? If not buy one and track how much you are actually doing. You can do this!! You just have to realize it isn't about losing weight , It's about being the best person you can be and that includes being healthy!
  • qbec99
    Options
    You might also think about taking this issue up with your doctor. I don't have anything close to a medical degree, but I know that sometimes difficulty losing or gaining weight can be related to things like thyroid issues. At the very least, s/he could help you analyze what you're doing and help you come up with a plan of action.
  • bmq98
    bmq98 Posts: 78
    Options
    Hi Denise,
    Please do not despair - you have taken great steps and and perhaps your diet or exercise program need a little tweaking. It is also possible that it was that TOM and it is obscuring your real weight loss numbers.

Also, weighing yourself at different times of day will give you different results. Try to weigh yourself at the same time every week (in the morning before breakfast).

Hang in there. Lots of times we forget how long it took us to gain weight and need to understand that it will take just as long if not longer to lose it in a healthy way!

yours in the quest,
    bmq98
  • baker_c
    baker_c Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I feel for you! I lost .6 for two weeks. My advise is to walk more and increase your protein. I stayed off the scale last week to give myself a break and not beat myself up if I it happened again. But focus on the positives will get you threw this. You didn't gain and you've eaten healthy. That's what's going to make you healthy. You can do it . We can help.

Good luck-- keep me posted.
  • e1ny
    e1ny Posts: 29
    Options
    I was on here for over a month before I started to lose anything (now at 4 lbs loss; goal 10-12). I read a few threads that mentioned strength training as an important part of being healthy and helping to kick start your metabolism so that weight loss can occur. Search on the community boards for strength training to see if you come across it, but for me that seems to have made the difference. I added that in 2 times a week, with cardio about 3-4 other days a week if I can, and now I seem to have some traction. It also took me a while to figure out the calories and what foods to eat while in this mode, but now I am getting the hang of it. Good luck!
  • chandnikhondji
    chandnikhondji Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Without being able to see your diary, it's only going to be a few guesses on the most common reasons.

1. Are your weight loss goals realistic?
    2. Are you drinking enough water?
    3. Is it possible you've hit a plateau?
    4. What is an average day like for your exercise/food wise?
    5. Have you set your goals properly?

On the homepage, check your goals and see what your daily expediture is set at. Depending on how much you currently weigh - 1lb loss might be realistic.

In addition to that.. check if you have maybe too much sodium/salt in your meals. Are you eating back your exercise calories (if not you can easily have not enough calories intake for your body).
  • brwnsugababe
    Options
    Whatever you do just don't get discouraged. Maybe you just need to reevaluate your goals and make a few changes here and there food wise. I found this blog called "How to eat" it was posted by Rebekahkuhl on 9/12/2010. She lists some very helpful tips. Take a look at it. I just started about a week ago and I had my eyes opened. I learned that weight loss is not an easy process especially when you love food as much as I do. So we are here to lend our support and words of encouragement whenever you or anyone may need it.
  • loverunning11
    loverunning11 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Another important thing to remember is that the scale can be your worst enemy. I would suggest doing your measurements every few weeks, as losing inches is just as important, if not more important, than what the scale says. You will see your results in inches usually before you see it on the scale. So don't get discouraged by what the scale says. Keep working out and eating healthy and you will see results, maybe not on the scale, but in your clothes instead. Hope this helps!
  • denisec26
    denisec26 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone..as for the questions..im 5'4 and 136 pds..i normally weighed 115 before having a baby hence wanting to loose 20-22 pds. so my calorie intake says 1200..to loose weight, i usually intake 1000-1200, and exercise daily. i dont eat sweets and have only been eating chicken, brown rice, veggies, special k cereal or there bars, fruit,turkey, if i have anything l else its all 100 calories or so like chicken or a bagel thin, stuff like that. i only drink crystal light which is 5 calories or water. so my food is pretty decent and my weight loss goal is realistic, hence why i dont get why im not loosing anything. and for a workout i do jillian michaels banish fat..which is pretty hard for me so i do lots of cardio and some strength. thanks again for the comments
  • amandapratt
    amandapratt Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you're not meeting your body's minimum daily requirements. Most doctors recommend taking in at least 1200 calories a day - any less than that and you're putting your body into starvation mode. Try upping your caloric intake a bit for a week and see what happens.
  • fitterpam
    fitterpam Posts: 3,086 Member
    Options
    One more question and it's a doozy - are you breastfeeding? It makes a difference to how you should be eating.

I would say you're not eating enough. Try and eat back most of your exercise calories - at least half of them. See what happens.
  • emmyvera
    emmyvera Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Don't get down! You are doing awesome :) I am about the same size as you are and I have gotten discouraged too. But you know, if you are implementing strength training into your routine, don't let the scale determine your progress. The strength is building muscle. So check out your clothes ..... that is a great indicator. :) Good Luck! :smile:

I've found that my legs are getting stronger and I can see they are toner and the scale hasn't budged in about 3 weeks. And my jeans are a less tight. So something must be right! Your body metabolism will kick in eventually and start working with your new routine.

I also think with different body builds and physiological make-ups, it makes it more challenging depending on our individual self. So I totally how you feel. :happy:
  • denisec26
    denisec26 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    thanks again, and not breastfeeding.
  • Elzarynn
    Options
    If you're working out a lot, you're going to build muscle, which is much heavier than fat. You can lose fat and still gain weight. Try focusing on your measurements as opposed to your weight. You may find there's more of a difference than you thought.
  • Elzarynn
    Options
    Also, I once dropped ten pounds, then gained five back, even though I didn't change my diet or exercise. You may be experiencing something like that. I think the body takes a while to adjust to the new routine.