Teen Trying to Get Fit!

Options
Hey everybody! I'm not exactly new to MyFitnessPal. I have joined before but never actually stuck with it. In fact, this is an old account that I just recently started using again. Anyways, I am a teen trying to lose around 35 to 50lbs. Im not 100% sure what my goal is - I am just ready to be comfortable in my own skin. Currently, I am a junior and am involved with tons of school activities as well as church, singing, riding horses, my job, my boyfriend, and occasionally, photography. I am looking for friends, especially any other teens, to help keep me motivated! Tell me a little about yourself or send me a friend request!

Replies

• taekwondo_bitch
    taekwondo_bitch Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Hey, I'm kind of in the same situation. I don't want to get skinny, I want to get fit, lol. I do a lot of Taekwondo (duh) and running group every Thursday morning, through my school. Would love to chat. Friend me!
  • taekwondo_bitch
    taekwondo_bitch Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    *By school I mean Uni
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat as you.

Also you dont see that many teens in highschool in here. I'll send you a friend request

That's because you have to be 18 to join.
  • I'm not exactly a teen (20) but I am in the same boat as you in terms of pounds that I want to lose! I lift weights and I'm pretty well versed in terms of diet and exercise knowledge but I am lacking the motivation to put down the ice cream and go for a run lol! Feel free to add me!
  • brandi712
    brandi712 Posts: 407 Member
    Options

Also you dont see that many teens in highschool in here. I'll send you a friend request

Profile has her at 18. Sometimes I forget that 18-19 are still teens lol
  • 19TaraLynn84
    19TaraLynn84 Posts: 739 Member
    Options

Yep!
  • 19TaraLynn84
    Options

Profiles aren't always full of factual information. Underage users just give the wrong date of birth when signing up.
  • brandi712
    brandi712 Posts: 407 Member
    Options

Profiles aren't always full of factual information. Underage users just give the wrong date of birth when signing up.

Completely understand but no way to prove it either way. So OP, welcome and good luck on your journey
  • 19TaraLynn84
    Options

Completely understand but no way to prove it either way. So OP, welcome and good luck on your journey

I wasn't referencing the OP. I've seen several tell the whole MFP community their real age. And then strangely, never saw them again.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options

I wasn't referencing the OP. I've seen several tell the whole MFP community their real age. And then strangely, never saw them again.

Like the one I quoted and told she had to be 18. Profile and post went poof.

I understand that someone can be in high school and be 18 or 19 (which are still teens). Most of the time that is not the case.
  • 19TaraLynn84
    Options

Like the one I quoted and told she had to be 18. Profile and post went poof.

I understand that someone can be in high school and be 18 or 19 (which are still teens). Most of the time that is not the case.

Well, what do ya know?! That was quick.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    Tamsin_62 wrote: »
    I am in the same boat! I am a junior and I love riding horses! I understand that you need to be 18 to join this site. I am 17 and almost 18 years of age. I am struggling with my weight loss and I needed another try. I have tried doing it on my own and I have tried weight watchers and many other dieting programs. I think MFP is a great idea considering you can gain support from others in this difficult journey! Maybe even meet a life long friend! I don't think it is an issue that underage users seeking help join. Maybe it is set for maturity reasons and I can understand that, but I need help to and I think on this site I will be successful. As I said I am also seeking support! Add me!

sparkteens.com
  • TechNerd42
    TechNerd42 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Teens should join SparkTeens - then come to MFP once you hit 18. We have no idea how old you really are, but advice given here may not be appropriate for a growing teenager.

Good luck.
  • sjeannot
    sjeannot Posts: 143
    Options
    Just stay positive and focused. The best thing you can do is to be that leader in your own life and do not follow others when you seen them doing other than what you are trying to accomplish. Remember that this is your goal alone, so stay strong in it. God bless you in your journey.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Tamsin_62 wrote: »
    I am in the same boat! I am a junior and I love riding horses! I understand that you need to be 18 to join this site. I am 17 and almost 18 years of age. I am struggling with my weight loss and I needed another try. I have tried doing it on my own and I have tried weight watchers and many other dieting programs. I think MFP is a great idea considering you can gain support from others in this difficult journey! Maybe even meet a life long friend! I don't think it is an issue that underage users seeking help join. Maybe it is set for maturity reasons and I can understand that, but I need help to and I think on this site I will be successful. As I said I am also seeking support! Add me!

to the bolded part above: No, it's not for maturity reasons. It is for "your body is still growing and developing and as such your calorie requirements are dramatically different from those of a fully grown adult, therefore any advice you get here could be outright dangerous for your particular life stage" reasons. Sparkteens, on the other hand, is geared toward the still growing and developing adolescent/teenager, and is where you appropriately belong. Go there, not here.