Running and you?

Options
Runners, what has running done for you?

Why did you start?

How did you start?

Has it helped you accomplish things?

Has running changed you mentally/affected your psyche?

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I started running again to get in shape for soccer, surprised myself by really enjoying just the running.

I was pathetically out of shape and overweight (about 235lbs) when I started and I could barely get around the block. I started, literally, "running" (more like shuffling comically slowly) for 1 minute & walking 10 and gradually worked my way up to running my first 5K when I was 52 and have since gone on to half-marathons and shorter triathlons & duathlons.

It's helped me lose weight, lower my blood pressure & serum lipids and just generally feel so much better and has drastically improved my overall outlook on life. It's taught me that if I apply myself I can do just about anything....
  • fast_eddie_72
    fast_eddie_72 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I started running to get more fit and lose weight. The other thing I got that I didn't count on was an awesome feeling of "I did that". Not just for events, either. Four mile run today and I feel great that I got out and did it, and did it well.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    It's made me a lot fitter than I was before. It's given me a decent weapon in my depression-fighting arsenal. And, it has increased my confidence, determination and emotional resilience.

It might sound silly, but in the beginning, when I started pushing through the anxiety I used to feel at running for a whole 5 minutes, or 10 minutes, I got a whole lot better at focusing on the long term outcome, rather than getting bogged down in short term discomfort. I realised that it didn't matter that I felt uncomfortable in that moment, I could endure it and push past it to achieve what I wanted to achieve.

That's affected all areas of my life, and I think I have a lot more determination now. Even now, every time I talk myself into going out for a run in the rain, or first thing in the morning, or when I'm tired... it reminds me that I can do stuff when I put my mind to it.

And, in a more general way, it's become a healthy habit that has a knock on effect in other areas. I make sure I'm well hydrated because if I'm not, if affects my running. I don't snack through the day, because it affects my running. When I was still losing weight, I was no longer tempted to cut calories to silly levels, because of running. I get to bed earlier, and get up earlier, to fit a run into my day.
  • Supadoopafly
    Supadoopafly Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Thanks. Some great posts, just what I was looking for.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Given me a sense of satisfaction, accomplishment, and ambition. It's also given me social stuff too. It's a great community of people that all speak your language and don't get tired of it.

Why did you start?
    I needed something to satisfy my competitive spirit, as well as something to do that not everybody else does. It has a sorta "mystique" to it. And runner girls. You know they take care of themselves and most likely don't smoke, plus if they don't whine about running 15 miles they probably won't complain about other stuff too.

How did you start?
    Bought a pair of shoes and ran. That's it. All the gadgets and gear came later.

Outside of running-centered accomplishments, I gravitated towards cycling/triathlons. It's a natural progression I guess.

Increased resilience and confidence. Nothing equals that feeling you get when you cross a finish line, run through falling snow/rain, or offer a pick up or get picked up yourself (giving/receiving a "hey you got this")

Good topic/thread
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    I've been a distance runner for nearly 10 years. I ran high school track, got out of it in college, then started again after and decided I wanted a medal, so I ran a half, then a full, then more fulls, then relays, and I just ran my first ultra.

I wrote a blog about these questions, so I won't re-type it.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/ThickMcRunFast/view/i-don-t-care-if-you-don-t-run-616311
  • TheBrolympus
    TheBrolympus Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    >>Runners, what has running done for you?
    It has helped me lose 60 pounds.

>>Why did you start?
    To lose some weight, get in shape, and improve my cycling. I never expected it to become my primary exercise. I now train to run and the cycling is my leisure activity.

>>How did you start?
    Started walking 2 minutes and running 1. Then walked 1.5 minute and ran 1. Eventually I didn't have to walk anymore.

>>Has it helped you accomplish things?
    I am faster on my bike.

>>Has running changed you mentally/affected your psyche?
    Yes, I feel a ton better and handle stress so much better than I used to.
    And for the first time in 20 years I will no longer require BP or cholesterol meds.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    Made me better at running and given me an outlet.

Why did you start?
    There was a local mud run that looked like fun, and I started running to train for that.

How did you start?
    I just went out and started running... a mile at first, then kept upping my mileage until I was doing 10K/6.2 miles

I have accomplished quite a few runs since then :tongue: I have 3 mud runs this coming April that I'm psyched for, plus a Spartan Beast 12 miler in September!

Yes, I find it helps my stress and gives me a sense of accomplishment when I cross the finish line at running events and as I set new best times.
  • RunRachelRunnn
    Options
    What has running done for me in my life?
    >>Wow, a simple question with such a wide array of possible ways to answer! haha :) Running has changed me for the better that's for sure. It has given me a new goal in my life to constantly seek to deliver my best at day in and day out. It has strengthened my relationships with not only people but the relationship with my Savior, Jesus Christ. Running has helped me to come to conclusions, make hard decisions, and contemplate any and every aspect of my life. I mean when you're running for long periods of time it gives you this sense of freedom that is completely indescribable to explain. The fact of just being able to run for causes, people, and things that are far greater than yourself is worth all the hard work in itself, whereas the health benefits are icing on the cake! (haha cake.... sounds like an oxymoron because runners hardly ever eat cake ;)

How did i start running?
    >> Oh man, I started running because basically my family thought volleyball was dumb and wanted me to follow the Roach(my last name, hilarious i know) Family Tradition! You see i come from a big family, being the youngest of 6 (4 boys and one older sister). The crazy thing is my brothers started Cross Country at my small private Christian school a few years ago and are the current school record holders, so for me to be the last of my family and not hold the girl's record would be apparently absurd. But to much disappointment, I was SOOOOOOO slow my freshman year and people would come up to me and ask if i really was related to my family... it hurt..especially when i got last in races.... Utterly humiliated i promised myself that i would start from the bottom(literally) and one day be trample all my brothers' achievements into the ground. Fast forward 3 years, here i am and UTTERLY IN LOVE with the sport of Running (XC, Track, Half Marathons)! And i'm training to win the state title next year with a heart bubbling over with determination, passion and strength to do anything through Christ Jesus my Lord. :)
    I STARTED running by bucking up and going out everyday knowing consistency and desire can get you anywhere.

How has it helped me accomplish things?
    >> Running has given me this passion to just go and get things done as soon as i can and not have anything linger over me, and it has taken away(for the most part) that lazy feeling of "oh tomorrow i'll do _____" No! It's helped me decide i want to do something and drop everything and do that very thing.

Has running changed me mentally?
    >> Of course! Of course! Of course! YES! ;) Stress and worries fade when running in breathtakingly beautiful and beautiful places, giving a vividly clear peace of mind to conquer anything thrown at me! :):happy:
  • Supadoopafly
    Options
    Some truly wonderful inspiring posts here.

Ringing endorsememts for running eh? X
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options

Why did you start?

How did you start?

1. I started because I'm not interested in group classes. I like exercising by myself and running fits the bill.

2. I started first with brisk walking then really slow jogging to now just jogging. My lungs would give up after a few minutes. I felt like I was dying for air. I didn't give up. I just walked when I couldn't run. I run 40 minutes now without problems.

3. It gives me a sense of accomplishment. Pride in what my body can do. I'm actually looking for races I can do. I can call myself a jogger/runner. I like that.
  • kaydeedoubleu1
    kaydeedoubleu1 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Why did you start?

Initially to lose weight, build my fitness and be able to play soccer again. And also because my sister would always describe the pride and feelings of accomplishment she would get when crossing the finish line of a half marathon or triathalon. Also to prove I can be a runner.

How did you start?

I started on the treadmill when i first joined the gym (at 105kgs)- only being able to run about 30 seconds at a time and feeling like my lungs exploded. Now I run a 12km path 3 times a week alongside the beach. I can run now for about 30 mins straight then having a 30-60 second walk. My goal is to complete a half marathon in May along the great ocean rd Victoria.

So many things. Given me confidence at work, socially and given me massive increased feelings of self worth and self respect. It has taught me that, yeah, I got this. From the insecure obese girl believed she wasn't good enough to be a runner, or be fit, to where I am now, I think running plays a big part in that.

Yes. I used to give up on anything once it became tough or uncomfortable, or if I didn't believe I could do it. Now, after pushing myself everytime i run past the pain barrier, I feel so much more confident when putting myself in challenging and tough situations. Instead of saying "i would like to do that someday" I am just doing it!
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options

running has given me a sense of control and makes me feel like a badass.

Why did you start?

my mom put the bug in my brain. always been an athlete, but hated running. finally really gave it a go back maybe in '06? maybe earlier. it took awhile to build up mileage and start to enjoy it. but definitely worth the persistence.

How did you start?

one foot in front of the other.

yes.

yes. running does nothing but good things for my mental health.
  • vmclach
    vmclach Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    it has done everything for me.

Running allowed me to build confidence and respect for myself. It allowed me to quick smoking. It allowed me to value my health. It allowed me to meet my fiance. It positively changed every aspect of my life.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

It's made me a better runner ;)

It's contributed a lot to my weight loss and general health, my resting heart rate, bodyfat percentage and blood pressure are all significantly improved since I started. It also helps my mood, it's quite meditative.
    Why did you start?

To help my weight loss, I fairly quickly realised that what was important wasn't my weight, but my performance.
    How did you start?

Downloaded the NHS Couch to 5K podcast series and started using that. A few times in the past I've tried without the structure and fairly quickly given myself an injury, so in that sense the plan worked.

I wouldn't say so specifically, but it does help me think through challenges at work and gives me some space to work out how to address them.

It helps me improve my mood, and the physical benefits have a side effect of improving my reaction to stress.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options

Running has given me my life back-in every possible way.

Why did you start?

By accident.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/971842-it-was-an-accident-pics

How did you start?

A very modified couch to 5k program. I was morbidly obese when I started. I think my first run was about 8 seconds-followed by 5 or so minutes of walking to recover to where I thought I could go another 8 seconds.

See link above. Yes. I have my life again.

See link above. But generally speaking, nothing clears my head better than a good long run. For me, a good two hour run is better than medication or anything at relieving anxiety. Without a bunch of crap swirling around in my head, I'm better able to deal with life in general.
  • essjay76
    essjay76 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I started running in college simply to lose weight. This was back in the day when there was no C25k and the internet was still fairly new, (yes, I'm dating myself! LOL), so there was not much information out there for beginners. I didn't care about pace, time, etc. Just went out there and put one foot in front of the other.

It worked for the weight loss. Then I found I actually love to run.

I kept it up and started venturing into long distance races. I then started trying to improve.

Now it's not only something I do for exercise, but also my therapy, escape, and one of my greatest passions. I would do it no matter what size I was. It's helped me accomplish things I never thought was possible. I take a lot of what I learned through running and apply it to my everyday life. When I'm struggling with other aspects of life, I think of all the hurdles and obstacles I've overcome through running. I know it sounds cheesy, but it's instilled self-confidence and strength I never thought I could have before.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Blimey, I'd almost say running has changed my life! I'll try to answer your questions, with the background inof that I'm 52, hated running all my life until I finally got into it the past couple of years.

What has running done for me? Allowed me to prove that I Can.

Why did I start? Easy cheap way of exercising, plus I wanted to do some charity fundraising.

How did I start? I put on a pair of trainers and went out the door.

Has it helped me accomplish things? I think yes. Running is a very mental thing - your head needs to be in the right place to run well. And that's helped me to transfer that positive mental approach to other areas.

Has running changed my psyche? Yes. Running is an important part of keeping me sane. Ok that's hperbole - I use running to keep some persepctive in life.
  • Supadoopafly
    Options
    Does rain deter you?

We've been having heavy rain and strong gales which have stopped me from starting. I'll be honest, being 328 lbs and fear of being honked/stared at (had in past when i was like 280lbs!) puts me off a little too, but then again going out in public looking the way i do does anyway!

Promised myself I'll go out tomorrow all being well with the weather. My aim is 3 days per week. I have the kissmyblackass.org couch to 5k programme, as I didn't like the NHS one.