Stuck In A Rut for BREAKFAST

Options
What are some good breakfast ideas? I have a hard time getting my proteins and vegetables in.... dairy, grains and fruit are usually no problem!

Replies

• Makoce
    Makoce Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I usually have 3 egg whites with some left over meat from the night before's dinner ( steak, pork, chicken, something like that ) mixed in with my eggs and a bowl of peas or mixed vegetable.

If I dont have that, its usually a protein shake made from chocolate whey protein powder ( 1 cup skim milk, 1 scoop powder, tbsp of pb, and a frozen banana )

If Im in a huge rush out the door..a serving of cottage cheese and some fruit or baby carrots I can put in a bag on the go.

My non-protein breakfasts would be blueberry oatmeal, honey bunches of oats cereal, or eggo waffles with no-sugar syrup
  • fast_eddie_72
    fast_eddie_72 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I'm kinda in a rut too. I usually have one egg, cooked for a minute in the microwave, on a slice of that 45 calorie bread, toasted. But I have, a couple of times, made a red potato with just a little olive oil and sea salt on the George Foreman grill. Makes a yummy breakfast, but eats up a few calories. That's why I kinda stick to the egg. Maybe it's the protein, but it seems to keep me full for a bit.
  • njitaliana
    njitaliana Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I make a lot of crustless quiches with eggs, fat free milk, Cabot 75% reduced-fat cheese, spinach, mushrooms, onions, bell peppers, broccoli, etc. You can also drink V8.
  • flatlndr
    flatlndr Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    What are some good breakfast ideas?

For me, it's porridge, porridge, porridge (aka oatmeal). I mix in a variety of fruits, such as apples, blueberries, strawberries. A nice slow energy burn all morning, so I make it to lunch without any food cravings.
    It gives some protein, but not a lot, so I get the balance of my protein during lunch and dinner.
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    Think outside the box. Anything can be breakfast foods. I love dinner leftovers for breakfast. I love chicken breast, cheese cubes, etc. I like a little protein in the morning - but that protein can come in any package.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    For protein and veggies - quiche, egg muffins, scrambled eggs... You can add whatever veggies you like (peppers, onions, spinach etc) plus sausage/cheese/ham etc.

You can add protein powder in oatmeal too. Or have some Greek yogurt with fruit/granola/nuts. Or protein pancakes (I love these with whole wheat pastry flour and blueberries http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/991227-ultimate-protein-pancakes-omg?hl=pancake).

My favorite lately is ricotta with some milk and some instant pudding powder mixed in... so delicious.

I agree too, you can just have whatever for breakfast, I was on a meatloaf kick at some point.
  • mekkzy888
    mekkzy888 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    My favourite meal of the day is breakfast! I love oats and they are quite good for protein, and you can mix in things like peanut butter, honey, seeds (pumpkin and sunflower seeds are great), fruit and nuts.

Cottage cheese with fruit is nice - apple, banana and cinnamon especially! Or swap the cottage cheese for greek yoghurt if you prefer that. I like the lumpiness of the cottage cheese, don't ask me why :p

Omelettes with loads of ingredients mixed in are always tasty. You could use mixed vegetables (peppers, green beans, sweetcorn, anything you like really) and maybe chicken or bacon. The whites of the eggs are really low calorie but high in protein so if you want to cut cals from the egg part just separate the yolks. You can easily save them for something else - there are loads of recipes that call for egg yolks.
  • psmd
    psmd Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    smoothies with kale or spinach, fruit, and for protein could do protein powder or peanut butter!

i love egg whites for protein, can be added to anything else you're eating easily.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Steel cut oats mixed in with greek yogurt and protein powder.
  • TingoAcias
    Options
    I eat OatFIt oatmeal with an over easy egg in it (yes, right on top) pretty much every day because it's about as easy as it gets. That being said, if you're after typical breakfast foods for breakfast, (aside from the eggs with tons of vegetables that's already been mentioned), try "hash browns" made out of radishes instead of potatoes. They're actually really good.
  • tfoste6278
    tfoste6278 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    My favorite while on the go for breakfast or lunch is a proti max 8oz smoothie with my added twist of low fat la yogurt, cup of frozen strawberries, one banana, and half cup of skim milk blended til smooth yumm.
  • psmd
    psmd Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Oh and I haven't done this in a while, but I have a TINY frying pan (like 4-5 inches diameter) and I put in egg or egg whites, salt, pepper, garlic powder, spinach and let it cook, and it fits perfectly onto an English muffin or sandwich thin for an easy to-go breakfast.
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,534 Member
    Options
    I've said it before, I'll say it again:

Trutein Cinnabun Maple Grove Farms Pancakes

Trutein - Cinnabun, 34 g (1 scoop)
    Maple Grove Farms - Sugar Free Pancake & Waffle Mix (Per Gram), 40 g
    Tap Water, Drinking, Cold, 0.5 cup
    1 tsp Cream of Tarter
    Dash extra cinnamon if you wish

Method: mix dry ingredients. then add water to desired thickness. Pour into med-low griddle. Top with Walden Farms Syrup.
    :love:
    1 srvg: 248 cal, 17 g carbs, 5 g fat, 43 g Protein
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    How about?

Breakfast Pizza
    Source: http://soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2014/02/breakfast-pizza.html
    Serves 1 or 2

Ingredients

2 - 6" flour tortilla
    2 Tbsp. pizza sauce
    Mozzarella cheese
    1 slice precooked bacon, chopped
    2 large eggs

Directions

Preheat oven to 450 degrees.

Place tortillas on a piece of aluminum foil. Spread a tablespoon of pizza sauce on each. Top with half of the cheese and bacon; arranging the bacon around the edge. Carefully break an egg in the center of each tortilla. Place the pizzas on the aluminum foil in the center of the oven and bake for 8 minutes. Remove from the foil and enjoy!

28ssx2u.jpg
  • Inner_Goddess
    Inner_Goddess Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    Egg Muffins is my favorite go to right now - Make them on Sunday, eat all week. Beat 12 eggs (I use 1/2 real eggs and 1/2 substitute) - using a silicon muffin mold or spray a metal one with pam - put your favorite breakfast meat in them, add some veggies, top with a bit of cheese, pour the eggs in - cook for 25-35 min at 350 - my favorite combinations are spinach and mushrooms with a tiny bit of pepperjack cheese, ham and cheese (for my sons). In the morning grab 2 and microwave them for 30 seconds. Keeps in the fridge all week and I love them - about 75 calories a muffin.

another quick one is fat free pumpkin muffins for when you need something sweet - spice cake mix, add egg white, 1 cup water and 3/4 can of pure 100% pumpkin. Mix together and bake according to cake directions - mine makes 16 muffins for 106 calories each.

pair one of each of the above and I stay full all morning.
  • Sunbrooke
    Sunbrooke Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I sauté about 1/3 of an onion, 2 mushrooms, 1/2 a bell pepper, a handful of broccoli, and handful of kale or arugula ( these all cook really fast). Then I dump it over 1 cut up Roma tomato. You could pour a little vinaigrette dressing over this of you want. Then I top it off with a whole fried over easy egg. You could do whites plus avocado. it's usually around 300 calories, but it makes a lot. This is also my go to after workout meal.

If I want something different, I like low sodium with tuna and avocado.

My husband likes egg whites and cooked Spinach. Folded omelette style. The Kroger brand cut leaf frozen spinach is our favorite

Growing up, my grandma made us eggs scrambled with corn tortillas that have been fried a little. Then you mix in some tomato sauce. You can top them with cheese/ sour cream/ avocado. They taste a bit like enchiladas. I make those on weekends sometimes. It's something different :) .. There's a name for this dish, I just can't spell it.
  • pcotter54
    pcotter54 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Oh and I haven't done this in a while, but I have a TINY frying pan (like 4-5 inches diameter) and I put in egg or egg whites, salt, pepper, garlic powder, spinach and let it cook, and it fits perfectly onto an English muffin or sandwich thin for an easy to-go breakfast.

LOL, we have one of these cute little things as well; it has a crazy little chicken face on the handle. We use it in a similar way, to make egg-white sandwiches with bagels or English muffins. You can also make a sort of mini-scrambled egg mix with a little salsa.
  • janiesue101
    janiesue101 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • shaynepoole
    shaynepoole Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I make these muffins out of carrots & eggs... - makes 1 serving of 2 muffins

Ingredients
    1 raw whole egg scrambled
    (I use 1/4 cup eggbeaters instead)
    3 oz pureed cooked carrots
    1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon (Dash of ginger/nutmeg optional)
    (I use 1/2 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice instead)
    1 pack of Splenda
    (I skip this completely, but it works for me)

Directions
    Preheat oven to 350 degrees Farenheit
    Mix raw scrambled egg with 3 oz of pureed cooked carrot
    Add spices and mix together
    Divide batter into 2 separate cupcake cups
    (I use 1 tart pan instead of 2 cupcake cups - it doesn't matter)
    Bake until batter is cooked and springs back - about 25 minutes / let cool

Other options
    You can use grated zucchini instead of carrots/change to 3 1/2 oz of zucchini
    You can also add Walden Farms Chocolate Syrup but cut down on the Spenda
    You can also lightly brush the muffins with the chocolate syrup as a glaze or "icing"

I like these - as they change up the breakfast routine - they are easy to make

I also put the eggs & carrot mixture in the frittata pan this morning and was pleasantly surprised

Here is the MFP listing of the ingredients I use
    Eggbeaters - Egg Beaters, 0.25 cup
    Kroger - Frozen All Natural Crinkle Cut Carrots, 0.25 container (2 7/10 cups ea.)
    Walden Farms - Chocolate Syrup - Zero Calories, 1 tbsp

Comes up to 60 calories
  • 1PatientBear
    1PatientBear Posts: 2,089 Member
    Options
    Eggs, fried. Bacon, crispy. Milk.

/thread