best cardio machine for bad back and knees?

Options
I have two rupture discs in my spine and a Baker's cyst behind one knee. They do not hurt at the moment, but I don't want them to flare up again. Can someone recommend a treadmill or other cardio machine I could get for my house that would not put stress on my back or other joints?

Replies

• HollyB1223
    HollyB1223 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Ouch! I also have back issues, including chipped disks, many spurs, and scoliosis. I've had chronic back pain most of my life. I am finally getting treatment.

I think distance walking puts the least stress on my back, but I'm interested in what other people suggest for you!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    Recumbant bike or a NU STEP machine.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • patols1
    patols1 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    recumbent bike, I have bad knees too and that is what I use
  • raileneperkins
    raileneperkins Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Hello! I also have back problems, having three discs fused in lower back. Also the left hip where they took the bone to save my spine, as well as a very broken foot(almost every bone in right foot cracked or broken). That has been years ago and living with the aftermath is not easy but doable. Low impact for me means a lot of swimming and as far a machines go the best I have found is the elliptical. The elliptical is much better for me than the treadmill as there is no slamming down of my feet to the belt. I can work out on the elliptical and not have pain in my hips, foot and back whereas on a treadmill I usually have to take the next day off due to pain.
  • smurlene
    Options
    I used to swim a ton, and I loved it, but I have a toddler and no one to care for him while I go to the gym, so I have to find something I can do at home.

I have wondered about recumbant bikes and ellipticals. I will try them out at when I shop for a machine next week.

Thank you!
  • vanguardfitness
    vanguardfitness Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Stationary hand cycle?
  • SpeakLean
    Options
    I would look at a bike, this will put less stress on your knees and also back. Does it hurt to do stretching for your back? It might also help to do some strengthening exercises for your back if it does not aggravate it. Let me know and i can send you some back exercise ideas!

Terri
    SpeakLean
    Health Coach
  • smurlene
    Options
    That would be great. Thanks, Terry!