always under calorie goal

Options
Am I supposed to eat all of the allowed calories? I'm usually 100 to 200 calories under. does explain why I'm losing around 3 pounds a week?

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,121 Member
    Options
    100-200 per day calories over a seven day period would only account for about a half pound of fat loss per week, at most.

If you have a lot of weight to lose, it's common to lose more than two pounds per week at times.

• AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Try to hit your calorie goal, especially if you're losing weight too fast
  • FindingMyPerfection
    Options
    100-200 cals under a day is a lot to be under. I try to he as close to goal as possible. Add treats you love once in a while it will make this a much more pleasant experience!
  • cassietowle3
    cassietowle3 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I started losing weight before joining this site so Ive actually lost 32 pounds in a little under 3 months and Im just not sure if It ishealthy to be losing this much a week still. my health mentor tells me to eat more calories but Ihave a hard time doing that.
  • Dewymorning
    Dewymorning Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Depends, what is your calorie goal?
  • cassietowle3
    Options
    My calorie goal is usually between 1600-1800
  • littleburgy
    littleburgy Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I often am under my calorie goal quite a bit to allow some weekend wiggle room.

You could afford to enjoy a nice treat here and there if need be. But if you aren't feeling deprived, I wouldn't worry about it.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Always easy to get more calories in. Choose calorie dense foods like peanut butter, or you could always opt for liquid calories like milk, fruit juice, or soda
  • cassietowle3
    Options
    I could definatley try the peanut butter with a fruit or veggie but I have not drinken any juice or soda for5months and would like to stay away from those
  • SrJoben
    SrJoben Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Am I supposed to eat all of the allowed calories? I'm usually 100 to 200 calories under. does explain why I'm losing around 3 pounds a week?

I never understand this question.

The "allowed" calories are based on the rate of loss you told MFP you wanted to accomplish.

So you're asking "Am I supposed to follow my own plan?"
  • Dewymorning
    Dewymorning Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    My calorie goal is usually between 1600-1800

If you ate 1700 calories instead of 1800 calories, I think that is not as big a deal as 1400 calories instead of 1500 calories.

However, if you are concerned about you weightloss being too quick then try to make the gap smaller.

Dark chocolate is a nice treat, about 20 grams is just over 100 calories (I guess it will vary depending on the brand).
  • cassietowle3
    Options
    I am sometimes under 1400 calories
  • cassietowle3
    Options
    So since I said I wanted to lose 2 pounds a week the calorie goal is created from that?
  • kelleybean1
    kelleybean1 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    peanut butter+spoon=problem solved.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    I am sometimes under 1400 calories

So since I said I wanted to lose 2 pounds a week the calorie goal is created from that?
    One thing we all need to remember is that the MFP numbers are just estimates and losing, gaining, or maintaining weight is based on trial and error.

You are losing 3 pounds a week, which is generally to much unless you are very obese and your doctor wants you to lose weight quickly due to the health risks of being so heavy. I don't get the impression that this is your situation, but please correct me if I'm wrong.

100-200 calories per day is a lot to be under your calorie allowance, unless you are saving those calories for another day when you know you will have a bigger meal or something. By the end of the week, you want to be as close as possible to your calorie goals. I urge you to increase your calorie intake to eat that 100-200 calories each day. It doesn't take much- having some peanut butter as Kelley suggested, or maybe an ounce of nuts, or some other high protein snack.

Good luck!
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    I started losing weight before joining this site so Ive actually lost 32 pounds in a little under 3 months and Im just not sure if It ishealthy to be losing this much a week still. my health mentor tells me to eat more calories but Ihave a hard time doing that.

How did you get overweight if you can't eat over 1200 cal?
  • cmriverside
    Options

If you reread, she said she has a higher calorie goal than that already,(1600-1800) and her low is around 1400 - which does put her 400 below her goal - but no need to be sarcastic with her.

• wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options

If you reread, she said she has a higher calorie goal than that already,(1600-1800) and her low is around 1400 - which does put her 400 below her goal - but no need to be sarcastic with her.

I find it hard to believe when healthy people can't eat 1200-1600 cals. I'm not being sarcastic I'm asking an honest question. I gain weight because I eat too much, and it's very easy for me to eat 2000 + cal per day. I dont to get these questions (that I see almost daily) that people suddenly can't eat 1200-1600 cal
  • cmriverside
    Options

I find it hard to believe when healthy people can't eat 1200-1600 cals. I'm not being sarcastic I'm asking an honest question. I gain weight because I eat too much, and it's very easy for me to eat 2000 + cal per day. I dont to get these questions (that I see almost daily) that people suddenly can't eat 1200-1600 cal

Okay, my apologies. I see a lot of snark in the forums with this question, but I don't think she's got it quite that dialed in yet.

She could use some serious accuracy in logging all foods for awhile. I just don't think that has been happening in this case.
  • cmriverside
    Options
    cassietowel, can you please open your food diary so people can take a look?