HRM and weightlifting

Options
There was a thread which said that HRMs should not be used to measure calories burned during weightlifting because it's useless. So how do you work out how much you eat? I workout my tdee based on a sedentary lifestyle then I eat my calories burned. How would you do that for weightlifting. Or would you class weightlifting as one of your workouts. Say you lift weights 2 x a week for an hour each time and do other aerobic exercises 3 x per week for another hour each time. According to the scooby tdee calculator, would you state that your exercise was 5 hours? Which would the work out your average daily tdee.

Replies

• SJ46
    SJ46 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    There was a thread which said that HRMs should not be used to measure calories burned during weightlifting because it's useless. So how do you work out how much you eat? I workout my tdee based on a sedentary lifestyle then I eat my calories burned. How would you do that for weightlifting. Or would you class weightlifting as one of your workouts. Say you lift weights 2 x a week for an hour each time and do other aerobic exercises 3 x per week for another hour each time. According to the scooby tdee calculator, would you state that your exercise was 5 hours? Which would the work out your average daily tdee.

I use the TDEE method. In your case I would list it as 5 hrs exercise a week or 5 days of exercise a week. I used the calculator at IIFYM.com
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't list that as anything higher than 3 hours of exercise.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't list that as anything higher than 3 hours of exercise.
    Well, oddly, that would be the same setting with Scooby's calculator. It would fall into 3-5 times per week.

You can figure out your calorie deficit using the calculator and then eat a little less on your non-lifting days and a little more on lifting days if you want.