Lost almost 70 lbs, now I'm losing my hair too?

Options
Hello out there. :)

I've been doing my diet since March of last year. I got to my goal weight back in September of 2013 and I've been maintaining since then. However, my hair has been falling out the last 3-4 months and I'm not sure what I can do to stop that?

I've started taking this Vitamin called Biotin, along with multi-vitamins and iron pills that were recommended to me.

Nothing seems to be working. Has anyone else had this happen and / or know what to do?

Thanks!

Replies

• 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    Happened to me when I was only eating 1200 calories. The only thing that worked was eating more.
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I would make a doctor's appointment - don't ignore these types of things.
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,534 Member
    Options
    If you have viable hair follicles, which probably you do, then Nioxin shampoo/conditioner & Nioxin (foam?) works great for stimulating the follicles so your hair will grow back in. You can't use anyother shampoo/conditioner while using this. Get it from your salon professional.

It works. My hair has been horribly thin for so many years, its now thick and luxurious again. Go check it out. It works.
  • ElaineRN100
    ElaineRN100 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Mine as well but I'm also on the end of Menopause - so. With that said taking the Biotin will help. Just remember hair grows s-l-o-w. Don't how long you have been taking the vitamins but give them time. Be kind to your scalp - watch blow drying and using the heated tools we gals like to use. I use the Head and Shoulders Shampoo which is kind to my scalp - where the hair follicles reside. Make sure you also have adequate fat in your diet - restricting that too much will also cause hair issues. Hope something here will help. Mine is slowly but surely coming back.
  • Azurite27
    Azurite27 Posts: 554 Member
    Options

This. It could be from the weight-loss or it could be unrelated and be the sign of a hormone issue like hypothyroidism.
  • gregpack
    gregpack Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Not knowing what you're eating it's hard to say- but you may be eating on the low side of maintenance I would try increasing caloric intake. If you ramp up slowly you may find that you can eat more without gaining sunstantially. Just be prepared for a few pounds of weight gain, it will level off. .
  • BekaBooluvsu
    BekaBooluvsu Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I've heard of that happening to people who don't eat enough protein. I eat 1200-1350 calories a day and haven't noticed any hair loss. I also eat a minimum of 100 grams of protein a day. I take Geritol multivitamin, biotin in the soft gels (Wal-Mart) and a burpless fish oil supplements.

I also have hypothyroidism.
  • stickerj
    stickerj Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I would recommend that you go to your doctor. I went for same problem and it was my thyroid.
  • littleburgy
    littleburgy Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I'm hypothyroid, even when I take meds sometimes I feel like having me around is like owning a dog.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options

This. It could be from the weight-loss or it could be unrelated and be the sign of a hormone issue like hypothyroidism.
    This. Please go to the doctor. It's not normal for your hair to fall out
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    The most common reasons for hair loss with weight loss is a protein or iron deficiency. There are hormonal issues that can cause hair loss as well. Probably the advice to see a doc is a good idea. In the meantime, you can try eating more meat.
  • kristarablue2
    kristarablue2 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    When I lost my first 100 pounds I lost hair....but I lost 70 pounds very quickly and I am sure it was due to not enough calories even though I did not mean not to eat enough...ya and it takes forever to have it grow back...but a doctor is always to go to as well just to make sure. As soon as I began eating enough, it really did stop falling out so quickly.
  • vanguardfitness
    vanguardfitness Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    One of my ex girlfriends used to blame me for her hair failing out. Said I kept stressing her out or some nonsense.
  • judychicken
    judychicken Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    I had that happen to me also when I was on 1200 calories. So now I take Biotin upped my fat and my calories and it stopped.I needed more fat in my diet also to help it also.
  • Fithealthyforlife
    Fithealthyforlife Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    It could be hypothyroidism. Sometimes a caloric deficit or surplus can bring out hypothyroidism that already exists. For example, when you eat less and your weight also decreases, the body recalibrates its thyroid hormone production to make less since less is needed. It's just that it might have been masked before, because your body was making more thyroid hormone due to the fact that you were eating more food before you lost weight.

Nutrient deficiency could also be a possibility I guess.

So could the female endocrine system.
  • JohnsElan
    Options
    Go see your doctor!!! and switch from a weight loss diet to a maintenance diet immediately!!!
  • g33kmommy
    g33kmommy Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I was on 1200 calories a day, right now I'm eating more around the 1400-1700 a day. I thought at first that it might just be the low calories I was eating, but it hasn't stopped yet so I've been worried.

I'll save up and go to the doctor and get some blood work done. It's so expensive!

Thanks for all the replies. :)
  • Skarlet13
    Skarlet13 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I was on 1200 calories a day, right now I'm eating more around the 1400-1700 a day. I thought at first that it might just be the low calories I was eating, but it hasn't stopped yet so I've been worried.

I'll save up and go to the doctor and get some blood work done. It's so expensive!

Thanks for all the replies. :)

I may be wrong, but I think it takes 3 months for nutritional deficiencies to show up on your hair so it could be the 1200 cals you were on. Try eating more for the next 3 months and see what happens. It should take 3 more months for an increase to show as well. I could not know what I'm talking about. LOL.
  • ccmzone2013
    ccmzone2013 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Call your physician!
  • ScientificExplorerGirl
    Options
    I would recommend that you go to your doctor. I went for same problem and it was my thyroid.

Same for me. Please go to your doctor and have it checked out just to be safe.