Couch to 5K question

Options
Last year I completed the Couch to 5K, and was regularly running a 5K three to four days a week. That is, until I injured my knee and couldn't run for a year. Now, my knee is mostly better, and my friend very generously gave me her cushioned NordicTrack treadmill, which is pretty easy on my bad knee and a lot easier than the bumpy, hard concrete I used to run on. So I decided to do the Couch to 5K again since I sincerely enjoyed running (never thought I'd say that two years ago).

I did the first two workouts and found them really easy. Though I haven't been running, I've been walking, biking, Jillian Michaels-ing, and doing yoga, so I'm not completely out of shape. Then, yesterday, I was showing the Couch to 5K app to a friend and set it on Week 4 Day 3. When I went to go do what was supposed to be Week 1 Day 3, I realized ten minutes in I had accidentally skipped three weeks. I decided to just finish and managed to do it, with some struggling at the end. But I did it (and was super proud!).

My question is this: should I do two more days of Week 4 Day 3? Should I proceed on to Week 5 Day 1? Should I go back at all? I don't want to take it too fast, in worries that I'll hurt my knee again. I am 30 pounds lighter than last time, so that helps. What do you guys think? I'm not afraid of pushing myself, but I just want to make sure I won't hurt myself again.

Here's the Couch to 5K plan for those wondering: http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

Replies

• sufferlandrian
    sufferlandrian Posts: 8,244 Member
    Options
    The problem isn't what your cardiovascular is able to do. It's what are the tendons in your knee ready for. You should go back and take your time. If you injure that knee again it's going to take a lot more time than going back three weeks.
  • Zekela
    Zekela Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    There is a saying that goes, "Listen to your body!" in your case, I'd say "Listen to your knee"... You don't want to damage it completely and then you are royally screwed for a year or so... so I think you should wait for it to completely heal. Take up swimming in the meantime or something that is light on the knee.
    And yes, I'm completely hypocritical and do not follow my own advice... (just in case you check out my diary / exercise)....
  • magurski
    magurski Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Do what you can handle. In other words, if W4D3 is doable, do it. If W1 or W2 seem too easy, skip ahead. Personally, I'd probably run W4D3 again, seeing if it got easier. If it did, I'd go to W5. If you start experiencing pain, stop. Just... stop. Figure out what's causing the pain, and either take time off or try to mitigate it. When I had knee pain, I took a month+ off, with lots of NSAIDs, and changed my route around so I wouldn't exacerbate the problem. Running on a treadmill will be a lot less of an impact all around than running outdoors, though, so you may not experience the same issues.
  • PandaCustard
    PandaCustard Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    All right, thanks. The reason I wasn't completely sure was because my doctor said my knee was healed now, but every once in a while I still feel a slight twinge during lower-body exercises, like a guitar string getting tuned too tightly. But since I've started the program again, I've had no pain or "tightening." (My injury was from a ripped tendon)
  • sufferlandrian
    sufferlandrian Posts: 8,244 Member
    Options
    The tendon may be healed, but it's not in the same shape it was before you injured it. Taking your time and working up to it will help it to strengthen. More importantly, it will allow the supporting ligaments to strengthen so they do get injured. If the big problem you're having now is tightening or a twinge of the tendon, you need to add stretches and strength training. Weights and stretches will really help. If you were to talk to a physical therapist you would be told to work on weights to strengthen the supporting muscle and tendon groups. Start light on the weights and do them about twice a week. Follow each weight session with GOOD whole body stretching. I think you'll find you will get back to running in more time but with less wear and tear on the body down the road. It's not about what you can run 5 weeks from now. It's about what you can run 5 years or 15 years from now.
  • Bloomsday
    Bloomsday Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I would say go back and follow as prescribed. There is a lot going on getting the body ready to run, and it is so tempting when you feel good and strong to push ahead. But your body is doing a lot of work in those early weeks to prepare you for longer runs. I know some people just go out, run long distances and have no problems. But since you had an injury, why risk it?