How to get more healthy calories to maintain weight?

Options
I reached my weight loss goal and have now discovered a new problem: How do I maintain a healthy diet and eat 1720 calories + exercise calories? This is easy to do eating junk. I am always full on my current diet, and I am having trouble getting my calories up to goal. I don’t want to lose any more weight. Thoughts?

Replies

• cathryn_robinson
    Options
    Try adding quinoa, nuts (inc peanut butter) and brown rice. All high calorie foods that are still great for you!!

When I wanted to up my calories I just ate 10-15 for nuts a day and a larger serving of my quinoa and rice :D
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    You can up your protein intake, say 6 ounces or so of chicken instead of 4, or a protein shake.
  • Helen71017
    Helen71017 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I tend to go over on my protein intake. Today I am 50 over goal on protein.
  • Helen71017
    Options
    Thank you! I will try that.
  • MB_Positif
    Options
    I tend to go over on my protein intake. Today I am 50 over goal on protein.

MFP's protein goal is on the low side. I used to go over by at least 50 every day until I tweaked my goals. I've been maintaining for two years :)
  • Helen71017
    Options
    What distribution do you recommend?
  • Helen71017
    Options
    Do you still use the log?
  • MB_Positif
    Options
    I am at 40% carbs, 30% protein, 30% fat

I still use the log...almost every day :)
  • MB_Positif
    Options
    I just glanced at your diary, the protein number you got for today does look good.

The only other way to really add calories without really going for junk is to add calories to things you are already eating, like a diced avocado to a salad or bowl of soup. You won't really feel like you are eating that much more! :)
  • Helen71017
    Options
    Thank you for your help! I changed my distribution.
  • beeblebrox82
    beeblebrox82 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    nuts! Bananas!
  • spoiledpuppies
    spoiledpuppies Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I'm transitioning to maintenance too. I went to a doctor and dietician who told me to do 40% carbs, 30% protein, 30% fat. The biggest change since losing is decreasing carbs, and increasing fat. Having these goals has helped me to make healthier choices vs just hitting a calorie goal. I suppose I could still eat junk to hit those percentages, but I find that I'm adding more nuts and avocados to things. I'll also add some oil to a salad or pasta/veggie dish. I'm also eating steak, which was previously uncommon. And I've eaten three eggs in the last week (one per morning)--twice with steak--to add the fat. (And these were actually the first eggs I'd eaten in my life--so I'm really taking the advice seriously and doing what I can to meet my goals in a healthy way.)
  • Helen71017
    Options
    Steak sounds good!
  • Helen71017
    Options
    Thank you!
  • LovingLifeInCalifornia
    Options
    I love pistachio nuts and avocados. Other high calorie foods on top of nuts are sweet potatoes, oats, quinoa, and brown rice. I also really love dried fruit - like dates, and can eat them like candy (not great if you want to keep the calories down. HAHA)

if you are okay eating oil, then oil based dressings will generally do the trick. :)
  • Helen71017
    Options
    Thank you for your suggestions!
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Try adding quinoa, nuts (inc peanut butter) and brown rice. All high calorie foods that are still great for you!!

When I wanted to up my calories I just ate 10-15 for nuts a day and a larger serving of my quinoa and rice :D

Also kefir or milk or cheese.

I'll have a couple of figs or dates in the afternoon.

Any of those things are a few hundred calories.