Paleo primal newbies??????

Options
2»

Replies

• christchurchkiwi
    Options
    Hi, Just started primal 2 days ago and keen to see my health improve. By that I mean ditching my unadulterated addiction to carbs-of any type.
    Would like to know what alternative flour to use? And On Primal is it ok to use Stevia? Or what do you use.
    Cheers.
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    Flour -- the two that tend to be the most popular are coconut flour and almond flour. I'd just caution using either as a primary source -- like trying to make primal bread isn't a good call in my book. I tried it at times, but just wasn't worth it. However, one of my favorite recipes is Paleo biscuits -- they're not really the biscuit-y, but they are super tasty. Made mostly of sweet potatoes, bacon and cheese -- taste more similar to a twice baked potato. If you PM me, I'll give you the recipe.

I use coconut flour primarily when I need a thickening agent in a sauce or some other recipe and almond flour if I'm doing something dessert-like. But, I don't use either all that much. If I want something sweet, I'm more apt to go with some berries and cream or dark chocolate than try to make something with almond flour. And I don't eat any faux-bread substitutes. I tried a few when I first started and just found them not to be worth the effort so I just stick with the basics -- meat, veggies, butter/cream based sauces, some fruit, some dairy, etc.

You can use Stevia if you like, but many (myself included) just eventually wean ourselves off the artificial sweetners altogether. I now drink my tea unsweetened. Once I stopped eating all the sugar/high carb stuff, my palate adjusted a LOT and sweet things now go a very long ways for me -- so only a little is necessary. I didn't realize how numb I'd become to sugar/sweet things before going Paleo, and then later Primal (as dairy doesn't disagree with me).