treadmill or elliptical trainer

Options
2»

Replies

• cutelizzyppacman
    Options
    The elliptical is great if you have runner's knee or any type of leg injury. In the past (several years ago) when I started going to the gym, I could not jog at all. The treadmill was too intense for me (I thought I was going to die after a minute on it), the elliptical was fantastic for a workout. However over time it got boring and I felt it was not challenging me. I barely break a sweat no matter the intensity, and I felt ridiculous on it. That's when I went to the treadmill. It's more intense of a workout, and provides more benefits for me. I've been more fit and toned when I use the treadmill compared to the elliptical. I sweat more when I am on the treadmill and it's more of a challenge. So I feel like more work for me is done on the treadmill. I only use the elliptical if I have an injury or if something like the stair-master is occupied.

Really the elliptical is great if you're starting out at the gym or have an injury (from my experience). I see this at the gym all of the time too. The more physically fit people gravitate towards the treadmill, while people starting out will usually pick the elliptical. Of course this is not always.
  • _tigerblood_
    _tigerblood_ Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I would choose elliptical because I feel like I get more bang for my buck. More calories burned, I actually use my arms, etc. Also, I'm a terrible runner. I haven't figured out how to avoid stitches (I know there are techniques, but they require concentration to master, and I usually zone out when I'm doing steady-state cardio), and I get all kinds of nasty shocks up my body when my feet strike.

Plus if I want to walk or run, I'll just go outside.

you burn less calories on an elliptical...it just feels like more
    :noway:
  • skyfall91
    Options
    I love my treadmill at home. I can do different intervals and different workouts and I always feel hard worked after. Id like an elliptical but I dont have one (might get one in a few years if I still want one!)
  • jondoles
    jondoles Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I use both, so it really depends on how much time I have. If my time is limited, I'd probably go elliptical as it works the entire body and I usually experience a greater calorie burn. I love to run on the treadmill too. It's a toss-up
  • angie007az
    angie007az Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Treadmill because I already have one and walking is great for you. I have ordered a Bowflex to use to tone up my arms and back.
  • baileysmom4
    baileysmom4 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I would choose elliptical because I feel like I get more bang for my buck. More calories burned, I actually use my arms, etc. Also, I'm a terrible runner. I haven't figured out how to avoid stitches (I know there are techniques, but they require concentration to master, and I usually zone out when I'm doing steady-state cardio), and I get all kinds of nasty shocks up my body when my feet strike.

you burn less calories on an elliptical...it just feels like more
    :noway:

I can't agree less. I burn twice as many calories on an elliptical as a treadmill according to my HRM!
  • george7527
    george7527 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I prefer cross trainer can go as hard or slow as I want to but I do go out running
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options

Stitches are usually a sign of breathing problems when running. If you learn to control your breathing then you can learn to get rid of the stitches when they come.
  • MissSarahAllison315
    Options
    I do the elliptical because my knees are crap. UGH. I'd love to be a runner but after a week of slow running, my knees force me to stop. To keep it from being boring, I do intervals in both speed and resistance, always trying to keep my RPM's high! If I want to do the treadmill I'll up the incline and go at a fast walk! They're both! :smile:
  • OperationCombat
    Options
    I prefer running outside but when I do use the gym I use both. Not keen on treadmills but will do 35 mins (4 miles) then 25 mins on Elliptical trainer (2 miles). Burn more calories running but go with how fit you are and how comfortable you feel using the machines.
  • Claremoak
    Claremoak Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I have only ued an elliptcial. It is easy on my bad knees. When i started i could hardly do 1 mile on the easiest setting, my legs felt like jelly! Mine has multipe programs, intensity levels and inclines that I have barely gotten a start on and I do not have any type of routine, This morning I did 6 miles in 35 minutes an a second level program, burned 644 caories according to my fitbit, (524 according to the elliptical). Everyone's different. This works for me for now.