why people shy of sharing their diary?

bassaniobroke
bassaniobroke Posts: 36 Member
In your opinion why some people are shy of sharing their diary?

Replies

• VelveteenArabian
    VelveteenArabian Posts: 758 Member
    I think it's because they don't want to hear judgement about their food choices. Not everyone believes that weightloss is all about calories in < calories out.
  • Sinisterly
    Sinisterly Posts: 10,913 Member
    In my opinion about myself, because I forget to log, even though I did fine for the day.
    I know what my body can/cannot handle with the calories burnt.
  • Soufre
    Soufre Posts: 236 Member
    Mine use to be private because I was afraid of people looking at it on the days I slip and eat too much. But now I realize everyone slips sometimes...and I could use some tough love. (like today for example waaaahh)
  • LeahFerri
    LeahFerri Posts: 186 Member
    Agree with the judging. It's also a potential source for unsolicited advice.

I didn't share mine for ages, I think in part because I was sort of self-conscious of the whole logging thing. It felt weird and obsessive, and having an open diary was an admission that I was doing it. Silly, because obviously that's the primary purpose of MFP, but I couldn't separate it from the rest of my interactions.

Now I'm not self-conscious about logging--I have the app on the main homescreen of my phone, I've let people close to me see me look in the database and make entries--and I have an open diary. What I'm doing works for me, and if looking at what works for me helps someone else, it's totally worth any rude PMs (that I'll just ignore anyway) about my chocolate cake.
  • mister_universe
    mister_universe Posts: 6,664 Member
    Because I'm laying next to a pile of ten mini peanut butter cup wrappers and it's gonna get bigger. :bigsmile:
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    I'm not shy. IDGAF what someone thinks of what I eat, they just jelly. :smokin: :smokin: :drinker: :drinker:
  • May be they don't want to be judged. Also, it could be because people never bother to go change the diary settings to make them public. I didn't bother for few weeks before I made the dairy public.
  • ChampagneHrglss
    ChampagneHrglss Posts: 42 Member
    Mine was private for the same reasons - fear of judgment by what I was/wasn't eating. I recently made my entire profile public for accountability as I try to increase my calorie intake while staying on my program.
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Because of secret recipes.
  • bleep
    bleep Posts: 68 Member
    Mine is private for a few reasons.

1- I don't want people saying good job or commenting on that all the time. Just my preference.
    2- There were times when I'd go way over and still get the "good job! great day!" lol really?
    3- Lots of times I just use quick add calories. I'll add up everything in my head as I make a meal and just quick add calories.
  • Nix_Way
    Nix_Way Posts: 201 Member
    For me, I have mine private because I write what my emotional/mental issues were that day, to find patterns of how or why I overeat. Its been really helpful. I found out I was a bored eater, and a anxious eater!
    There is just too personal of stuff on there for me to open up that much to the world in general. NO WAY! I wish I could seperate the food diary from the notes. Then I would totally have mine open!
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Mine's open, never gotten a pm about it, good or bad. I'm perfectly comfortable with the choices I'm making so if someone wants to take a look they're welcome to it. If they want to be judgmental to help themselves feel superior they're welcome to that too. I'm good at ignoring twits, usually I find them funny.
  • pseudomuffin
    pseudomuffin Posts: 1,058 Member
    Because I'm laying next to a pile of ten mini peanut butter cup wrappers and it's gonna get bigger. :bigsmile:

:laugh:
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    I think it's because they don't want to hear judgement about their food choices. Not everyone believes that weightloss is all about calories in < calories out.

This, except for the part where I believe calories in<calories out (because math) I don't need people telling me to eat more if this or less of that.

Gtfo, I'll eat 600 calories of cookies and ice cream if I want.
  • hortensehildegarde
    hortensehildegarde Posts: 592 Member
    initially I kept it closed because I was shy of the whole process. I don't want anyone to know I am doing this. I don't know why. I dread the day when someone asks me if I have lost weight, The fear of that day has stopped me from bothering to try for a long time. (It's not been the only thing, but it's been one thing).

I think it's because I don't want people to think that I thought I was "defective" and needed fixing, nor do I wish to be complimented on something that is none of their business.

Or maybe I just fear being noticed and complimented, at least for that.

But after a little bit I realized it's not like anyone will know this is me. It IS private here, even if it is public to to speak. So I opened it up.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 18,032 Member
    Because I don't care what anyone else thinks about what I eat. I don't need advice, I'm happy with what I eat and the weight I'm losing, so it really isn't anybody elses business. When I don't lose, I know why, I don't need people to look and tell me, so really the only thing that comes from having my diary open is unsolicited advice.
  • ParkerH47
    ParkerH47 Posts: 463 Member
    I don't know its not that I'm shy about it per-se but I find I'm more honest with myself with it closed. Weird maybe but I just find I'm more comfortable that way
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Because I don't care what anyone else thinks about what I eat. I don't need advice, I'm happy with what I eat and the weight I'm losing, so it really isn't anybody elses business. When I don't lose, I know why, I don't need people to look and tell me, so really the only thing that comes from having my diary open is unsolicited advice.

:drinker:
  • annekka
    annekka Posts: 517 Member
    because I sometimes don't remember to log, especially on weekends. Because during the week as my work provides a buffet style lunch, at best my diary is pure guess work as to what might be an appropriate equivalent to what I'm eating and of how much. My diary is open to friends, just not to the public for these reasons.
  • KrysBlaze
    KrysBlaze Posts: 196 Member
    Because of secret recipes.

True. But then decided to leave out some of the ingredients. Lol