Scared of Weights

It sounds so silly I know, but I am seriously avoiding weights. I've seen LOADS of posts that weight loss started when people 'picked up some weights' but I don't know where to start.

And I think I'd look ridiculous in the weight section at the gym.
All the super burly dudes are there. Scary.

I do 66 minutes of cardio 5 days/week and 82 minutes of dance on the other two.
When i dance I can feel the burn in my upper body, but...

Any advice is appreciated!
(I'm hoping this will explain my spikey weight trends (eg. lose 3, gain 2, lose 1, etc))

Replies

• pseudomuffin
    pseudomuffin Posts: 1,058 Member
    I'm in the same boat. I'd love to start lifting weights too but I'm intimidated by the equipment because I have no idea how to use it. I don't belong to a gym but have access to one at my apartment building with lots of weightlifting equipment... I just don't know what to do!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,329 Member
    it's not like you're descending into a dark cave filled with poisonous snakes, spiders and dirty needles.

just go and stop making excuses :tongue:

start with programs like starting strength, strong lifts or new rules of lifting for women
  • Nerdycurls
    Nerdycurls Posts: 143 Member
    I feel the same way! I don't want to look "ripped" like a guy, either. But at the same time we are limiting ourselves by believing we have to LIFT WEIGHTS in order to have strengthening exercises. Not true! There are plenty of ways to use our own body's weight as a form of strengthening exercise. Have you ever considered plyometrics? Push-ups, chin-ups, standing push-ups, hand-stands, using a chair to do tricep workouts, and heck even kneading dough to bake counts! (I've kneaded enough dough that took an hour to get through. My shoulders were very warm at the end of that hour!)

If you do want to go to the weights area in the gym, don't let those guys intimidate you. If anything, they will give you a look since they don't see girls around much (it's funny actually) and the guys have never given me any trouble. Remember you're there to take care of YOUR body, so if they're grunting and flinging around weights to knock out a power line just chuckle to yourself and do your low-weight arm curls XD
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member

start with programs like starting strength, strong lifts or new rules of lifting for women

Yep great suggestions!
  • BreatheAshley
    BreatheAshley Posts: 130 Member
    My gym has a women's workout room and I do all my free weights in there. No men.
  • bheathfit
    bheathfit Posts: 451 Member
    Here are a few articles to get you started. BB.com also has programs designed for women or you can follow Meshashesha's advice with starting strength, strong lifts or new rules of lifting for women. (Note: you don't need supplements to start lifting. Just eat real food, take a good multi-vitamin and fish oil...)

As for the creepy guys. Yeah, there are a few creepers in the world. Bring a Tazer... Or just tell them to mind their own freaking business. You're here to lift, not trolling for a man... Instant respect earned! Anyone actually doing what they are supposed to in there will be too busy to notice anyone else.

If you see me, I sweat and grunt a bit, but I have my head down and weights up. Just stay out of the way and if you are texting your BFF, get out of my squat rack!! :laugh:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/carmen11.htm

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/girls-get-your-guns-why-women-should-lift-weights.html

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/8-reasons-women-should-lift-weights.html

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/women-and-weights-8-myths-debunked.html
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    This is a common theme. Just educate yourself a little with the movements from reading books, watching youtube, or whatever. Then go forth and conquer. As a guy, my first time venturing into the weights was a little frightening as well. Once you get in there one time, you own it.

You have nothing to be afraid of with the bros. They will probably be courteous and helpful.
    I don't want to look "ripped" like a guy, either.
    Don't worry. Not gonna happen.
  • Nerdycurls
    Nerdycurls Posts: 143 Member
    This is a common theme. Just educate yourself a little with the movements from reading books, watching youtube, or whatever. Then go forth and conquer. As a guy, my first time venturing into the weights was a little frightening as well. Once you get in there one time, you own it.

You have nothing to be afraid of with the bros. They will probably be courteous and helpful.
    I don't want to look "ripped" like a guy, either.
    Don't worry. Not gonna happen.

LOL you're hopeful but um...I have a hormonal disorder that I need to be careful of. You know it's bad when your mother says you have man arms!
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    If you really don't know what to do, hire a trainer for a couple of sessions, emphasising that you want to lift (e.g. Using New Rules, Stronglifts of Starting Strength ). Make sure the trainer is clear on your goals as many trainers will recommend light weights and circuit training for women.

The trainer can show you how to perform the lifts with good form. After that then you should feel more confident to walk in there and get on with it.
  • mtforrest07
    mtforrest07 Posts: 31 Member
    I have my own weight machine in my bedroom. And at first I was a little hesitant to start doing weights until I read posts and saw the awesome pics of some of the women on here strictly using weights.

I actually loved using weights(I've been lazy about exercising lately). It's a great alternative to cardio if you're like me and get tired of the same routine all the time. That and I realized that I could feel that burn that I wanted in a much shorter time than if I do cardio.

It's an all around feel good exercise and if I were you, I would just start small at the gym and build up to it. Cycle through the different workouts to target all of your main muscles and go from there. You'll get a rhythm and it's nothing to be afraid of, I assure you! Shortly after you'll be motivated because you'll be able to lift more than you were before and will be able to just increase the weights as time goes on. You can do it!
  • rejectuf
    rejectuf Posts: 487 Member
    Believe it or not, most of those "ripped bros" are pretty helpful and nice.

Just don't do curls in the squat rack and you'll be fine :)
  • To learn some good ways to use the weights that can benefit you, check out online videos.

I stopped beign intimidated by the weight lifting section, for the most part it's really skinny men wanting to bulk up or really buff guys. I find the buff guys will help me if they see my form is off and could lead to injury.

I get bad looks in the gym from the fit women. But you know what, they can deal. I'm working on bettering myself, let their judgement come forth! What are they judging really?
  • Maleficent0241
    Maleficent0241 Posts: 386 Member
    I have yet to be bothered by anyone at the gym - they are usually just busy doing their own thing.

+1 to New Rules Of Lifting. There's lots of good info in there.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,069 Member

Yep great suggestions!

Yes to these - there's nothing to be afraid of. In answer to another posters fear - you won't get 'ripped' without a great amount of hard hard work and extra calories.