Fitbit,anyone recomend ?

Options
So I have just discovered fitbit ( wrist bracelet thing!) I'm really interested in this product, but they are pricy! Are they worth the money? Also, if they are good, which product is the best???

Replies

• avm1962
    Options
    Hi
    I am new on here so cant say I have an expert opinion (far from it).
    Just so happens I started using a FitBit yesterday - I bought mine on ebay - I found a few on there - as new- so saved myself half the price and was lucky to get one "as new" with three wrist bands. I bought the flex.
    I spend a LOT of time sitting - already, even in 24 hours I am feeling motivated to get off the chair - even for ten minutes - and move around. (office desk bound).
    I was able to link MFP with my FitBit - and was awarded badges for every 5000 steps -
    It also monitors your sleep pattern - and has a silent alarm.
    For me - as a Newbie - I love it already - dont know that a long term fitness guru would see it as much of an advantage, but for a newbie, in need of motivation and self discipline - its a good tool.
    Shop around - I was finding various prices from various sources, and check out ebay - kind of thing some might receive as a gift - not used.
    Easy enough to set up and use + works well alongside MFP. :smile:
  • pseudomuffin
    pseudomuffin Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit zip and I really like it, BUT I personally forget to wear it every day (kind of defeating the purpose of collecting the data). If you can commit to wearing it all the time it's a very useful tool...
  • donnaleighh
    donnaleighh Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Hi.

I have a Fitbit and for me it is brilliant. There are lots of different types that you wear on your wrist and ones which don't track sleep etc and they are just as good and cheaper. I have the Fitbit One which works for me as I wear it 24/7 and it clips into my bra or somewhere else where it isn't visible and so I can wear it pretty much anywhere without creating it into a conversation piece!

There are also other products out there on the market.

The most important thing is to be clear about what you are buying. The Fitbit is a pedometer - it records your daily steps and is most accurate for walking and running etc. It is not a Heart Rate Monitor so it will not give you a calorie count for all activities that you may do. For some people who only walk or run, thats fine, but for people like me who like to mix it up with classes, cycling, rowing and a heap of other stuff, I use a Heart Rate Monitor for doing those activities and then enter it manually into MFP and that overrides the Fitbit count.

Why do I love it? It keeps me motivated and accountable. If I haven't done the amount of steps I commit to a day, I pace around til I get them. I have to write alot for work and so I can sit at a desk for hours at a time and not move - the Fitbit gets me out of that habit - if I'm not getting steps up because it tells me - I take 5mins and wander round the block and clear my head! It's also become a fun game in my house. I gave my partner my old one and he is constantly sneaking out to get extra steps when I am not looking! Apart from making us both giggle, it means we both get more steps trying to out do each other!

So, do your research and take it for what it is - a gadget to get you moving and to keep your accountable - and then decide how much that's worth to you. For me, a hundred bucks for what it has given me this past year is so worthwhile!

Enjoy! Donna
  • changing4life
    changing4life Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I love my FitBit. It reminds me to move, and because I have it linked to MFP, and it is familiar with my daily movements, it gives me a much more accurate calorie goal (and lower) than MFP does. Now if I could only remember to follow THAT maybe the scale would budge.

It is pricey, but I really like it. I have the One.
  • paulperryman
    paulperryman Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    absolutely great for tracking your steps, and getting a basic idea of your TDEE otherwise any pedometer would do more or less the same thing.

I have a Fitbit Flex and wear it 24/7 other then when it's charging which is every 4 days or so it needs to charge for about 3 hours.
    they are waterproof and sync to your smart phone, MFP and PC easily by bluetooth. they retail for $130 australian. Good purchase.

The syncing to MFP tho is it gives you an "estimate" of calories burned a couple times a day which registers in MFP as exercise calories earned. Take it on face value if you believe its accurate or not but it seems to be pretty close to what the estimates you'd get from a heart rate monitor using your age height and weight which it takes from MFP.
  • David_AUS
    David_AUS Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Hi vspocket, I bought a flex just after Christmas. I needed something to get my derier off the couch and moving and I decided this was the best way to start. I replaced my first one since I was getting only 1 day battery, the replacement was no problems and it's all good. I am not 100 that they are as waterproof as they think. I will list my pros and cons

Pros. Progress to set goal reminder, Good community of people, 4 or 5 days between charge charge only a few hours, connect with phone for updates. Having on wrist is a good reminder to be active, they are comfortable to wear. Sleep tracking is great. Estimates intensity of walking. Great integration with my fitness pal. You can just wear all the time so is low maintainance. Weekly report is good feature. You can trial the software without buying the unit and enter manually to see if it is for you. Convenient auto tracking of movement.

Cons. Blu tooth can be a bit buggy, lacks reps function - really just a high quality pedometer, food entry is a pain which is why I joined my fitness pal, if you wear a watch you need to decide which hand to wear either on. Scales are way too expensive.

I am happy with it and if it would motivate you to move more then it is worth it otherwise if it will just sit in a drawer then spend your money on something else. I do not wear mine swimming but showers and getting wet is fine, I just don't trust the waterproof claim after my first unit was getting poor battery after I used it in the pool a couple of times. If you have specific question then just ask as I think I have rambled enough.
  • andiechick
    andiechick Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm a few weeks into my Fitbit Flex and I love it. I wear it constantly and it really does push me to make sure I get at least 10000 steps in each day. If I am doing what I class as 'real' exercise, ie workout DVD, swimming or with my trainer then I wear my HRM and I log that exercise. I am trying to use it more as a motivator to move more rather than look at the number of calories it says I'm burning and thinking I can eat more.

I've also joined up with a few MFP friends on the community side which can make you a bit more competitive (user name is Andrea M)
  • nicoleisback
    Options
    I have the fitbit flex and I love it. I only need to charge it every 5 or so days, so for the most part I wear it all day, and check my progress when I get home (I have a desk job) to see how much more exercise I need to get in.

I find it a great motivation tool, but as it is essentially a pedometer I have found several things which can affect the effectiveness. I have a young kid who goes in the pram when we walk somewhere together, and the accuracy of the step count about halves when holding on to a pram. When pushing a shopping trolley over uneven ground, it tracks me doing 3-400 steps a minute, so definitely not accurate there.

If it was just the device without all the extras (app, website, etc) I would say it wasn't worth it, but with the extras it definitely is.

The calorie counts on it are a lot lower than other sources if you are doing anything but walking/running, but I like this as I will just use the calorie count from this when doing aerobics, etc so I can make sure I never overestimate my burn, but that's just me and I have a lot to lose.

It is the kind of thing that is best for people just starting out with weight loss or trying to move up from a sedentary lifestyle. If you are already exercising a lot and doing exercise video programs/lifting it is not going to be too accurate, but it is great for getting you off your butt
  • vsprocket04
    vsprocket04 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the replies! I'm not sure it's for me now :-( I'm very active at the moment, gym 3x per week burning over 1000 calories each time i go which is up to 2.5 hours per session, swimming Friday afternoons, constantly cleaning and cooking ( I have 4 children lol ) and walk to school/ going to also start walking to nursery as well depending on weather.
    Think ill just stick to MFP for now , but thanks again for the opinions x
  • run4itnow
    Options
    I have the older version, which clips on which is more discreet. I have used it for two years on and off, mostly during the winter months when I'm on the couch more. My husband got the newer wrist version and wears it all the time and likes it. It does push you to move more and you get encouragement for meeting your goals.!