Joined a gym and I'm lost

Options
I recently purchased a gym membership since I was having no success at home. I'm not sure what would help loose my weight the best. This is my first time going to a gym and only thing I ever done was the treadmill. I've been trying the elliptical which I like but I feel like I should be doing more. Do anyone have any suggesting of a type of routine i should do? What kind of things were you doing when you first chose to lose weight?

Thank you

Replies

• Shazzyb71
    Shazzyb71 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    The best thing you can do is book a trainer, even if its just for 1 session. My trainer gave me my first routine or I wouldn't know what to do. He told me that free weights are better than the machine weights, plus you burn more fat if you do cardio, then weights, then cardio again. I suppose different trainers will teach people slightly different things. Also try a website called bodybuilding.com. It will give you some ideas of what weights to try. Good luck :-)
  • kinmad4it
    kinmad4it Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    No routine or exercise will help you lose weight unless you're eating less calories than you're burning.

You should though, hopefully, have at least one free session with a trainer there who can ask you what your goals are and tailor a routine just for you.
  • latrece203
    Options
    Thank you I actually have 10 free hours with a training I was considering using it but wasn't sure. I've made a lot of changes with my eating.
  • Shazzyb71
    Shazzyb71 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Definitely use it, you will get so many ideas, apparently after you have done a specific routine 12 times you need to change to a new one, so the more ideas you can get from your trainer the better.
  • annekka
    annekka Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    If you have 10 free hours of training then use it. Give whatever you are given a try and then the next time you meet with the trainer you can adjust anything that just isn't working for your body or that needs to be adjusted due to whatever reason.

If there are any group fitness classes, give them a try. You never know when one of the classes will become a favorite.
  • caseythirteen
    caseythirteen Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    Using those hours is a great idea. However, I would also suggest doing some of your own research because some trainers aren't actually all that knowledgable or try and steer women in the wrong direction. Starting with a great weight training program is the best idea, IMO. Things like New Rules of Lifting for Women, Starting Strength, Strong lifts or AllPro are great beginner programs. If you start looking at those you might have a better idea of what to go over with a trainer too. A solid full body routine 3 times a week with some cardio if you like combined with a slight deficit should start getting you results. It takes time and patience though and lots of learning. There is no quick fix. As for changing things up after 12 times, that's really not necessary. You need a solid progressive program and that will take longer than 12 times, which would only be 4 weeks.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    If they don't give you a card to fill out weights and settings at your gym, bring your own paper and record everything as you go from machine to machine with your trainer. Number one rule is: don't get hurt. I feel safer with the machines than free weights when starting/restarting strength training (as I am attempting to do now).
  • kinmad4it
    kinmad4it Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Have a look on Youtube at different routes you can take. There's the obvious free weights route and the much maligned machines, but don't forget about Kettlebell resistance training, resistance band training and bodyweight training. Don't narrow your options before having a look at alternatives first. You shouldn't dismiss what you haven't tried.