Would oatmeal porridge be bad for me?

Options

Replies

• abadvat
    abadvat Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    Don't have your stats but chances are you are not eating enough "1200 calories" always raises alarms in my head...
    Carbs do not make you fat - carbs are good and you need carbs!
    Your rapid weight loss is due to depletion of glycogen storages with all the water that comes with it - ratio of loss of fat vs. LBM is more than likely leaning towards LBM loss which is not a real weight loss IMO.

Yes, by all means, the day you decide to eat those oats you will put up weight purely because you have not eaten any but realistically, you will be filling your muscles back up with glycogen and increase your water levels.

Really? O_o I was at a lower intake, but raised it cause of safety concerns. Now you are telling me 1200 might not be enough either? And "not eaten any", i do eat? I also don't feel to tired or that im lacking energy, wich i feel i would if i ate to little?

I know carbs don't make "general you" fat, but carbs do make "specifically me" fat. Carbs gives me intense addiction-like cravings. Even if the sugar i crave wouldnt make me fat, the cravings themselves is a plight to live with. Not having them at the moment is lovely :)

what's your age, height, weight, BF% (if you have it) and activity level (how many days and what you do)?
  • IWILLBelieveAchieveInspire
    Options
    I have a shake post workout and then my breakfast is almost always egg whites and a bowl of oatmeal. I LOVE it and it hasn't hindered my weight loss or increased my cravings. I think the key is to eat a protein source with it and you will have no issues.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Assuming your intake stays the same there's no reason to think that porridge would slow your weight loss.
  • charlisobel
    charlisobel Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I have porridge for breakfast most days and am losing about 2lbs a week. It's one of my favourite meals because there are lots of different healthy toppings you can add so it doesn't get boring. As long as you are accurately calculating the calories and nutrition in it, I don't think it would slow your weightless down.

Thats great news :) Do you eat pasta, bread, potatoes and the like during the rest of the day? Do you usually react to carbs or high GI?

Thanks :) my daily diet is about 50% carbs. When I eat bread I have a slice about 35g and it's always at least 50% wholemeal. With regards to potatoes and pasta I LOVE both but at the moment I am not eating them very often (maybe once a week for each) because they just don't seem to be filling enough for the calories.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Why on earth would porridge slow down your weightloss?

If someone ate enough porridge that they were eating more calories than they were burning off, then they'd gain weight by eating porridge. So it can slow down or stop weight loss.... its all a matter of correct portion sizes.

OP: it's a matter of calories in v calories out. Porridge is very nutritious and filling. So eat it, but weigh it and log the calories carefully so you stay within your calorie goal

BTW 1200 cals/day is too little for most people.... make sure you do the maths right when calculating your calorie goal. Too big a deficit can be counterproductive. Most people find that a small deficit enables them to eat in a way they'll find easier to maintain in the long term. the fat loss is slower, but if it's easier to maintain for life then that really doesn't matter.
  • shartran
    shartran Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I am 'up in the air' about my consumption of oats...However, here's some info regarding GI levels around it (taken from "Healthy Eating website):

Quick oatmeal has a GI of 66, while regular oats rank at 55. A GI of 55 and under is low, 56 to 69 is medium, and 70 and above is high. Because regular oats are lower, they would be better options for sustained energy. The glycemic load is another way to find a food's affect on blood sugar levels. It is determined by multiplying the GI of a food by the amount of carbs it contains per serving, then dividing by 100. For example, a 1/2 cup of regular oats has 27 grams of carbs. The equation for the glycemic load would be 27 x 55 / 100, which equals 15. Quick oats have the same amount of carbs as the regular kind, but a higher glycemic index. This, in turn, increases the glycemic load to 18. Foods that fall between 12 and 20 are high, 11 to 19 are medium and those below 11 are low.

Also, if you have your oatmeal with some sort of protein, it will lower the the GI load even further...

I find limiting carbs after lunch is very helpful for me.
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Why on earth would porridge slow down your weightloss?

If someone ate enough porridge that they were eating more calories than they were burning off, then they'd gain weight by eating porridge. So it can slow down or stop weight loss.... its all a matter of correct portion sizes.

Completely understand that, which is why I quantified that statement with "as long as you stay within your calorie goal" in much the same way as you did in the bit I cut off from you quote
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,299 Member
    Options
    One possible benefit in favour of oats, it is a good source of soluble fibre. From the sugar angle it can be more easily digestible than wheat. I take mine with only water. Some people can have problems with oats though. Just my 5 penneth.
  • flatlndr
    flatlndr Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    Im really on the fence with this one, hopeing for some input here. Should I switch my breakfast too oatmeal porridge, or will that slow down my weightloss?

- I eat breakfast at work, and would need to make the porridge with hot water. I have read that microwave porridge have a higer GI than cooked. Will just using hot water cause my porridge to have a higher GI?

Hi,
    I've been eating porridge mixed with fresh fruit every day since Jan 1, and have lost 35 out of a targeted 104 lbs. I microwave my oats as well. Hasn't slowed down my weight loss program! :)

EDIT: I don't know that microwaving itself affects the GI of the oats, I haven't found anything yet to indicate that. However, oats sold as "microwaveable" do have a higher GI, as the are processed differently to cook more quickly (1.5-2 minutes). I use coarse rolled oats, and it takes ~3 mins to microwave them, for a half cup (dry measure) serving. Just enough time to chop up some fruit while the oats are cooking.
  • Miasen
    Miasen Posts: 31
    Options
    No it's fine, as to how your particular body responds to carbs/ GI the only way you're going to try is by experimenting.

However oatmeal isn't the only healthy breakfast option, for example you could try Greek yogurt with fruit,, which would be easy to take to work and has lots of protein to keep you full for longer.

You are right, experimenting is probaly the only way to really know. I might wait for the next plateu, and give it a try then :)

Just go for a low carb hot cereal.

Such as....

http://www6.netrition.com/sensato_high_fiber_hot_cereal.html

That sounded perfect! Specially the part about just adding hot water. I will try to find it in my country, thank you for the tip!
  • flatlndr
    Options
    I have porridge for breakfast most days and am losing about 2lbs a week. It's one of my favourite meals because there are lots of different healthy toppings you can add so it doesn't get boring. As long as you are accurately calculating the calories and nutrition in it, I don't think it would slow your weightless down.

Thats great news :) Do you eat pasta, bread, potatoes and the like during the rest of the day? Do you usually react to carbs or high GI?

Hi,
    In addition to porridge in the morning, I have small amounts of whole grains at lunch and dinner ... e.g. a piece or two of whole wheat bread at lunch, a small serving of brown rice, whole wheat pasta, or quiona at dinner. Feel free to have a look at my food diary for some ideas.
    As our goals are similar, please do send an FR.
    Cheers.
  • Blokeypoo
    Blokeypoo Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Instant oats (adding hot water) are more finely milled than traditional oats so are higher GI and more likely to adversely affect blood sugar. Anything carby already part chewed for you (ie processed/finely milled) is likely to affect blood sugar - likewise baked potatoes are much higher GI than new potatoes as the starch aletrs in the oven.

I microwave the largest flake oats I can in 3mins and add Stevia +/- fruit.

I do though hold off brekkie until 9ish despte getting up at 0530 as it wouldn't keep me going til lunch otherwise, regardless of being lower GI.
  • Miasen
    Options
    Don't have your stats but chances are you are not eating enough "1200 calories" always raises alarms in my head...
    Carbs do not make you fat - carbs are good and you need carbs!
    Your rapid weight loss is due to depletion of glycogen storages with all the water that comes with it - ratio of loss of fat vs. LBM is more than likely leaning towards LBM loss which is not a real weight loss IMO.

Yes, by all means, the day you decide to eat those oats you will put up weight purely because you have not eaten any but realistically, you will be filling your muscles back up with glycogen and increase your water levels.

Really? O_o I was at a lower intake, but raised it cause of safety concerns. Now you are telling me 1200 might not be enough either? And "not eaten any", i do eat? I also don't feel to tired or that im lacking energy, wich i feel i would if i ate to little?

I know carbs don't make "general you" fat, but carbs do make "specifically me" fat. Carbs gives me intense addiction-like cravings. Even if the sugar i crave wouldnt make me fat, the cravings themselves is a plight to live with. Not having them at the moment is lovely :)

what's your age, height, weight, BF% (if you have it) and activity level (how many days and what you do)?

Thank you :) Im 33, female, 176 cm and weigh 120 kg (5'7 and 264 lbs). I have been extremely inactive. This week i started walking, and I will keep doing that. About 1-2 hours for 3 days/week.

I have found a balance in what im doing now, in that im not really struggling and i dont feel the need to become more extreme. Both have been a serious problem for me in the past, so this is a very coveted balance for me.
  • Miasen
    Options

Thanks :) my daily diet is about 50% carbs. When I eat bread I have a slice about 35g and it's always at least 50% wholemeal. With regards to potatoes and pasta I LOVE both but at the moment I am not eating them very often (maybe once a week for each) because they just don't seem to be filling enough for the calories.

Thanks, very interesting :) I would be at about the same carb intake if i were to start with the oatmeal :)
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I have assumed that im loosing due to calorie deficit, altough it might be a combination of that and not eating that much carbs.

You're losing because of the calorie deficit, that's how energy out exceeding energy in works.
    Porridge would be at aprox the same cal, but with a significant amount more carbs. If low amount of carbs aids my weightloss, porridge would slow it down.

I'll have a bowl of porridge with a handful of nuts or a banana, and perhaps some syrup, prior to going out for a long run or cycle. It's fuel.
  • Miasen
    Options
    No it's fine, as to how your particular body responds to carbs/ GI the only way you're going to try is by experimenting.

However oatmeal isn't the only healthy breakfast option, for example you could try Greek yogurt with fruit,, which would be easy to take to work and has lots of protein to keep you full for longer.

You are right, experimenting is probaly the only way to really know. I might wait for the next plateu, and give it a try then :)

Such as....

I found something similar and just ordered that, can't wait to try it out.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    one serving of quaker instant oatmeal is like 250 calories….

LOLZ I can't even believe this is a real thread …

OP - just eat in a deficit and you will lose ..if you want oatmeal eat it, if not have something else….
  • Miasen
    Options
    one serving of quaker instant oatmeal is like 250 calories….

LOLZ I can't even believe this is a real thread …

OP - just eat in a deficit and you will lose ..if you want oatmeal eat it, if not have something else….

If you had read the thread maybe you would have had a little more insight into why im asking.

Seriously, questioning if it's a real concern for the OP must be one of the low-points of health related forums.
  • flatlndr
    Options

Such as....

I found something similar and just ordered that, can't wait to try it out.

Hi Mia,

For comparison, you can find the nutritional information of plain oats here: https://www.google.co.uk/#q=oats

Set the serving size to 1 cup, and divide the figures by two ... I usually have half a cup serving.
    As far as I know, I don't think there is any sugar in plain rolled oats either.

Cheers
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    If you think one bowl of porridge is a risk, I'd say you are treading on dangerous ground of disordered thinking. You mentioned you had a past of extremes. "I'll get fat on an isocaloric but 'carby' food" is not good thinking. Warning! A banana will not make you fat,a bowl of porridge will not make you fat. Eating too many calories will.