RIcotta Chees and Plain Greek Yogurt

Options
bjenegiles
bjenegiles Posts: 75 Member
Hi all

I bought an extra tub of ricotta cheese this weekend. Do you have any low cal/low fat dessert recipes that I can prepare with this extra tub?

I also have an extra tub of plain greek yogurt. I made this yummy spread w/ cucumbers, fresh dill, garlic, lemon juice, and lemon zest yesterday for sandwich BUT I still have a bunch left. I am tired of smoothies and parfaits. Do u have any other suggestions?

Replies

• jaylu
    jaylu Posts: 158
    Options
    add some fruit (de-stoned cherries or strawberries are my fav) to the greek yogurt, stir up and tuck in = yum! add a drizzle of honey on top if your feeling more indulgent. great for a snack or for breakfast!
  • megspence79
    Options
    In our house we use plain greek yogurt in place of sour cream...so baked potatoes, ranch dip, salad dressings, etc. I have a pretty good recipe that takes plain greek yogurt, low fat mayo, garlic, salt, pepper, and green onion, then some milk to make it runny.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    You can use the greek yogurt as a marinade for chicken! So good! You can add spices like cumin, coriander, cayenne along with lots of garlic and lemon juice. (Or you can google, "yogurt marinated chicken" for an exact recipe) then grill or broil.

I make ricotta gnocchi, (Italian dumplings) they are really good with tomato sauce. Here's a link to the recipe I use,

http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/spinach_ricotta_gnocchi/

Might seem like a lot of work but they freeze really well and are ready in a few minutes after you've done all of the other prep/freezing. I've calculated the calories before and it wasn't that bad for a dinner and you do get protein from the ricotta. Plus, I feel like they are a little indulgent ;-)
  • bacardigirl
    bacardigirl Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I love the faux cheesecake from Bethenny Frankel's book. Its a single serving portion of fat free ricotta, with some agave or honey mixed in, along with a sprinkling of mini chocolate chips and a dash of vanilla extract. I sometimes add a little bit of crushed graham crackers for crunch. Really yummy and low-cal! Great for a sweet tooth!
  • fxst78
    fxst78 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Mix one packet sugar free Jelly (jello) mix with 250ml hot water, then add 500g ricotta and mix well. Pour into individual serving containers (make them as big or small as you like) then put in the fridge for at least 3 hours. Yummy crustless cheese cake.
  • linzw3
    Options
    :smile: i just discovered the best recipe with greek yogurt! i am so not a fan of the plain stuff but recognize how healthy it is for you. actually i got this recipe from someone off here but dont remember who (sorry!)

it's like a pumpkin mousse:

1/2 cup plain nonfat greek yogurt
    1/2 cup pumpkin
    1 tbsp fatfree sugarfree instant vanilla pudding (the powder)
    1 tsp pumpkin pie spice

MMMM! LOVE IT!
  • nicolina823
    nicolina823 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • Megooo19
    Options
    I use plain greek yogurt as mayo. I use it in egg salad sandwhiches and you can mix it with powdered ranch mix and you have a healthy(ish) ranch dip.