Confused about Body Fat % drop

Options
I've done a lot of strength building exercises this past week at gym classes (second week back after two months off) but I can't believe what I'm seeing on my scales. It's one of those home ones that measure body fat and muscle %.

I used to be about 34% fat but it's now showing 22.5% fat. Nominal increase in muscle. Big jump in water % and bone has gone from 1.9 kg to 2.4 kg.

There must be something wrong with the scale. I know these things are not 100% reliable but could it be that unreliable?

Replies

• _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    If you are using scales to measure bf they are pretty inaccurate. They have problems differentiating between water and fat so if you have fluid in your stomach or bladder it will count those as fat
  • freenah
    Options
    I usually weigh myself first thing in the morning after using the washroom and before drinking anything.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    I usually weigh myself first thing in the morning after using the washroom and before drinking anything.

Drink two glasses of water, wait 30 minutes, and weigh yourself again; the are not inaccurate(or they are if you do not read the manual or follow the instructions for use). But water improves the accuracy of the reading, so drink first, wait 30, then try it.
  • freenah
    Options
    Ok I will try that. Thanks!