Yo-Yo-Yo-Yo-Yo

Hola!
I have been counting calories and exercising for 3 weeks today. I started at 189 lbs. Every weekday, I have been doing 45 minutes to 75 minutes of cardio, and staying under my caloric limit.
I know I have griped about this before, but I am ready to see some results! I have been yo-yo-ing in weight since the start of this. At one point, I thought I had lost 10 lbs. My weight fluctuates so much that I don't know what I weigh anymore. I fluctuate between 190-180 and my weight hasn't been the same twice. I don't over-use salt or eat salty foods and I weigh myself the same time every morning.
I know it isn't all about the pounds, but I am just waiting for my pants to fit a little better or my weight to stay at a steady rate. Anyone got any motivation for me?
Thanks,
Jenn (I-want-what-I-want-when-I-want-it-and-I-want-it-now!)

Replies

• cardgrl
    cardgrl Posts: 175 Member
    Hola!
    I have been counting calories and exercising for 3 weeks today. I started at 189 lbs. Every weekday, I have been doing 45 minutes to 75 minutes of cardio, and staying under my caloric limit.
    I know I have griped about this before, but I am ready to see some results! I have been yo-yo-ing in weight since the start of this. At one point, I thought I had lost 10 lbs. My weight fluctuates so much that I don't know what I weigh anymore. I fluctuate between 190-180 and my weight hasn't been the same twice. I don't over-use salt or eat salty foods and I weigh myself the same time every morning.
    I know it isn't all about the pounds, but I am just waiting for my pants to fit a little better or my weight to stay at a steady rate. Anyone got any motivation for me?
    Thanks,
    Jenn (I-want-what-I-want-when-I-want-it-and-I-want-it-now!)
  • julieofthewolves
    julieofthewolves Posts: 339 Member
    Hummmmm..... I wish I had the magic to make it happen for you.

So, some thoughts are: 1) maybe you should see a fitness trainer, 2) maybe your calories are not the right kind (too many carbs?), 3) cardio exercising may put you above the heart rate target for weight loss (good for the heart, but doesn't burn fat), 4) maybe you should see a dietian or nutrition expert, 5) maybe you should try a different scale (do you have a good one?), 6) are you doing any strength or resistance training? Muscle burns calories!, 7) are you getting enough protein???

I really want this to work for you and your are trying so hard. I know you are on the right track, just need to tweak a few things....
  • Isabelle
    Isabelle Posts: 102
    Good good ideas frome Julie. An would also say that if you are under your caloric limit, your body is starving so it keeps weight on to survive. You must always stay at your right caloric limit. Did you choose the recomended weight lost program or the fastest one? You have to know that you should not be starving. Don't forget to enter your exercice because that makes you have to eat more. When I started, I've stopped loosing weight when I wanted to go too fast and eated less than my caloric limit. When I eated more, around -10 to10 of my caloric limit, I starded to loose my weight again....than I got my goal!. Don't disourage! Hope it will help !
  • cardgrl
    Ok.....so I do admit, I am a "carb-ivore"....however, since being on this diet, I have minimized my carbs to very little (compared to what I used to eat, and if I eat any carbs, it is whole weat bread or a wrap.)

There is a trainer at the YMCA I go to, I am just kinda chicken to ask. The equipment I use at the Y has heart rate monitors on all the machines, and I am usually in the target heart rate zone that is on the poster on the wall in the workout room.

I just bought a brandy-new scale because I am so excited about all this! I am not doing much strength and resistance training because I wanted to start losing weight first. I do about 50 sit-ups per day, and that's all for strength training. For the cardio, I alternate between the bike, arc trainer, treadmill, stepper and rowing machine, for at least an hour, 5 days per week. I am getting enough protein. I can't figure this out. I figured I would shed pounds like crazy because I hadn't been active since high school, and I was a potato-chip-aholic, and I cut those out all together.

Maybe I am setting too high expectations for myself?
  • cardgrl
    Hi Isabelle,
    To answer your questions, I don't go too far over or too far under my caloric intake. +/- 40 calories at most. I am working on getting closer to all the other things I need to monitor as well, like sugar. I go over in my sugar often, but it is only because I will have three apples in a day, and that will put me over.

The weight loss program I have chosen is 1 pound per week. I knew that if I started too fast, I would set myself up for failure. As a short-term goal, I just want my pants to fit a little better, just something a little noticeable, ya know??!!
  • Remember just because you aren't losing in your waste you may be losing else where. Maybe not so much junk in the trunk, if you know what I mean!
  • cardgrl
    Yeah, I have been measuring myself once a week and so far, no progress either. I am just hoping that one day, I will wake up and my pants will be loose!!! :)
  • redalee
    redalee Posts: 256 Member
    Hi, I've just started at this site and have stopped working out at the gym for all summer and I am now at home. But I know last year when I worked out on a split free weights program with just 15 - 30 minutes cardio 4 times a week, I didn't lose the weight, but I went from a size 22 pants to size 16. I just kept eating normally so I think that's why I didn't lose the weight.
  • pamelawh
    pamelawh Posts: 162 Member
    don't weigh yourself every day. once a week is fine.
    go to crosscrunch.com for a great meal plan and follow the proportions exactly. also drink a glass of water each time you eat.
    if you are a beginner on the treadmill there are programs for you but if you have worked out for at least 4 weeks go to the intermediate level print out those programs and run those on the treadmill. you should drop the weight.
    i also subscribe to jillianmichaels.com; you get a personal trainer for $4 a week. that is pretty cheap for great advice.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,937 Member
    What about your water intake?
  • JKArts
    JKArts Posts: 10
    You need to do more weights to supplement your cardio (though try not to do them on the same day....but if you must, do the cardio AFTER the weights)

Cardio isn't that great either (at least not for fat loss) I love high intensity interval training (HIIT or HIT) on the bike....5 min warmup....then 5-7reps of 30 sprints (100-110 rpm) and 30 second rests (70rpm). It's hard work though. Especially if you increase the resistance for the sprint phases. It is a fast, hard, intense workout though - I have vomited after on several occasions.....and I'm pretty fit!