Too much off the top, not enough off the bottom

Options
I am 26, 5'5", 137. I started just needing to lose about 10lbs and I am halfway there. I workout 6x a week doing yoga, running, horseback riding, 30 Day Shred. My work outs are leg-heavy. I eat 1300-1400cal/day, mostly proteins and veggies, I've lost 6lbs this month and I'm quite pleased with my results ON TOP.

In fact, I look great from the waist up and I would actually prefer not to lose any more there. The issue is that I am a pear shaped gal and my lower half has not had as much substantial change. My thighs are muscular but still have no definition, my rear will never be as small as I'd like, which I've accepted.

The problem is, if I continue to lose up top and not so much below I will get even more out of proportion than I already am. Does anyone have suggestions as to focusing on the lower half without also continuing to take more ways from the top? Or do I just sacrifice the top to slowly chip away at the bottom?

Replies

• forevermaryb
    forevermaryb Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I'm curious to see the answer to this myself! I'm in the same position. It seems that any weight I lose goes off my top to where I can almost see my ribs, but my bottom won't budge. I have started an exercise program that specifically targets my hips/butt (lots and lots of weighted lunges, squats, high steps), but so far not much success (granted, I did just start).
  • sshintaku
    sshintaku Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I've been doing he same for over a month - lots of lunges, squats, leg strength stuff, running, and I have lost about an inch off my thighs, but have very little definition. My ribs are showing now though on top!
  • 15Nov2013
    15Nov2013 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I have always had this problem until i decided to loose slowly and steadily ...i am the same height as you are ... and carry my weight in my thighs ...
    at the moment i eat 1800 Calories (planning on increasing that next month to 1900) and workout only twice a week ... i do strength training (heavy weight) ... what i have noticed is that my body is changing in composition ... and my legs are slimming bit by bit ... but i have been doing that for 8 months and loosing really very slowly ...
    i think you eat too little and exercise too much ...
  • emboslice94
    Options
    It's really hard to lose leg fat, for some it just takes a little longer than others. I'm in the same boat, but I've noticed my legs have started to change. So just be patient!
  • marye2021
    marye2021 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    There's no way to target specific fat areas on your body.

Try doing isolated leg exercises, I'm doing a glute challenge (2nd month doing one) and I'm seeing more results using body weight resistance then I was using leg machines at the gym.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,984 Member
    Options
    Use weight resistant exercises and concentrate on the upper body while continuing to lose weight, it could help in the long run when you do start to see a change in your trunk area.
  • sshintaku
    Options
    I have always had this problem until i decided to loose slowly and steadily ...i am the same height as you are ... and carry my weight in my thighs ...
    at the moment i eat 1800 Calories (planning on increasing that next month to 1900) and workout only twice a week ... i do strength training (heavy weight) ... what i have noticed is that my body is changing in composition ... and my legs are slimming bit by bit ... but i have been doing that for 8 months and loosing really very slowly ...
    i think you eat too little and exercise too much ...

I don't feel like my workouts are super intense. I burn 200 cal on average. Does that make any difference in your assessment?
    Also, what do you mean heavy weight strength training? Machines at gym? Free weights?
  • tjthegreatone
    Options
    You are losing weight too quickly - at 6lb in a month your deficit is approx 1.5lb a week or 5000+kcal a day so about 700kcal a day. If you are eating 1800kcal then your TDEE is about 2500kcal (which means you must be working out harder than you think - or eating less than you think).
    I'd cut the deficit back to 250-300kcal a day (either by eating MOAR - my preferred solution - or working out less) and swap some of that cardio for body weight exercises. My faves (i.e. the ones that kill me the most) are squats and deadlifts.
    No one can promise that your lower half will ever be in proportion to your upper half, but you will develop muscle definition which will be nice in dresses ;-)
    People just carry weight differently and we need to learn to accept that. I would love to be a pear, I think it's a very feminine shape. Most pears have smaller waists and larger hips and culturally that's what I prefer. Sadly I'm a rectangle :sad: Got over it and learning to work with what I've got.
  • sshintaku
    Options
    I will give the eating more a try - something more like 1400-1500 calories?

I know I'll never be totally proportionate, and I am learning to love my shape, but I don't want to look like two totally different people put together! That's about how I'm feeling right now :)
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    Proportions are genetic unfortunately, but one way to create the illusion of "better" proportions is to build up your upper body muscles to help balance out your figure. For example, If you broaden your shoulders via strength training, you lower body will appear more proportionate to the upper. (Of course you don't want to work on just shoulders...that was just a simple example)
  • FrustratedYoYoer
    FrustratedYoYoer Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I think I am probably the same. Very little up top. Can see my ribs etc but I would say most of my "weight" is from the waist down. Not that I have much to lose now anyway since I'm 5'8 and weigh around 140lbs. I run 3 x p/w and do Stronglifts 2-3 times p/w. My legs are quite strong I would say and muscular but they aren't defined. Whereas my arms are and prob have been for almost a year. Legs are slimming down though and so are my hips and bum. Abs also coming through very slowly. So personally I think you just have to keep plugging away. Yes, your top half will keep shrinking but I think if you naturally have most of your weight/fat from the waist down then you are just going to have to chip at it bit by bit and be patient.
  • VelveteenArabian
    VelveteenArabian Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    My actvitities (dance and horseback riding) are also very bottom heavy - so I know what you're talking about! Are you generally a pear shape? The reason I ask is because I've noticed that when I lose weight, it's in the opposite order I put it on. For example, the last time I gained a ton of weight, it was in my thighs, hips, belly and boobs. Unfortunately, when I started losing weight, boobs were the first to go, then belly, then hips then thighs. It may be the same for you - are you at your goal weight yet? If not, I would keep going and try to do more muscle toning on the bottom.

As riders, we're going to be strong, but the riding isn't going to challenge your muscle very much after a while so I suggest shaking things up and try to add in some weight-based exercises.
  • sshintaku
    Options
    I think what I'm hearing is that I really just need to be more patient. :) I've always had strong but hefty thighs, partially because of how I'm naturally shaped, partially because I used to do a lot of gymnastics and horseback riding as a kid and just sort of kept that muscle formation into my adult years.

I guess I'll start to worry after I'm six months into this routine and still haven't seen much progress.