Advice from doctor--any good?

Options
A member just posted about hypoglycemia, and it got me to thinking...

The last time I saw my general practitioner was about 6 years ago. I see a gyno every year, and have gone to an urgent care clinic for illnesses because I broke my leg last summer (late at night), I got really bad sick 2 years ago (I kept thinking my chest cold would go away, turns out I had mild pneumonia) and this past December (I had the flu, which turned into bronchitis). I try not to take antibiotics whenever possible, or any kind of medicine. I'm usually the one who doesn't get sick when everyone else does.

That being said, I'm getting older and have been working on my health and fitness for about a month now. Should I see a doctor about getting a baseline blood reading? Testing my hormones, cholesterol, sugar, etc.? These days doctors don't spend a lot of time with their patients but an annual wellness checkup is included in my insurance plan. If I never had any medical issues to worry about, should I even bother? Or is it worth the time and effort of making an appointment? Is there anything I should ask them? Is there something I should specifically ask them to look for or check? I know when I had bronchitis in December, my airflow output was WAY LOW. I was in the "yellow" zone at 300, I should be around 450 for my age and height. Maybe get that checked?

All of this may seem stupid and obvious. But, I NEVER go to the doctor so I don't know what to expect when I go for a checkup -- since I never go for checkups. They only spend about 15 minutes with you, so I want to maximize my time!

I am seeing an orthopedic dr every 2-3 months to check my progress on my knee/leg injury. It's a slow journey, but she got me to look into joining a gym to speed up my healing. It was obvious that I needed to move more to gain the flexibility as well as lose extra pounds. Gonna lose 40-50 by this summer!

Advice?

Replies

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Yes, you should have a full blood panel done. Even if you're not sick, it's still good to see the doctor.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    If your doctor only spends 15 minutes with you, find a new doctor. Mine spends quite a bit more then that with patients depending on their needs.

I think getting a check up is a good idea, especially if it is covered by insurance. You never know what the blood tests could show. Plus, even if everything comes back normal, you now have a baseline to use when something DOES seem odd.
  • dolthack
    dolthack Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    If it's paid for by your plan then it's worth it just for the blood work. That's the only reason I do my annual check-up. It's free, and I can see what my cholesterol numbers are.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,965 Member
    Options
    Every 6 months for me, but then again I'm older.:sad:
  • _karyn_
    _karyn_ Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I too really only went to the lady-bits doctor yearly, but for the GP stuff, I only went if I got sick, and even then was only if I felt like I was dying. Last year my gyno asked me when the last time I had my cholesterol and iron checked and if I've ever been tested for diabetes. I had never had any of that done (was 31 at the time) and so she suggested I get it done. I had it done last year and plan to have it done again this year. My grandparents both died young (in their 60s/70s) of stroke and complications from diabetes which combined with cancer wasn't a good prognosis anyway, so I like to make sure I keep all my stuff in check.

It's good to know what you've got in your family history, so if there's something that is in your family you and your doctor can keep an eye out and hopefully catch something early enough.
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    I'd go...even if you are healthy, to get baseline results for things. This way, if you do experience changes in the way you are feeling you have something to compare to down the line.

Regarding a yearly check up...unlike the previous commenter who said you only need to visit your Dr if you have a specific complaint...I disagree. By having a checkup each year, you and your Dr may see patterns that would not be obvious if they only see you every few years.
  • DrWhoodles
    DrWhoodles Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are getting an appointment for a physical, this will set aside more time for your appointment so you have time to talk to the doctor about your health concerns. 3 years ago I started going in for a yearly physical and it really helps to get an idea of how you are doing and can help with prevention as well. If your doctor doesn't spend at least 30 minutes on a physical then you should find a new doctor.
  • Siobhan108
    Siobhan108 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    As a senior citizen I am going to say going to the doctor yearly might be costly but it could be more so by not going. I would say once a year or every 18 months would be good. When making the appointment tell them you need a physical, then they will allow a longer time slot. Once you see the doctor explain you need to have a check up, not a full physical. Explain what you need. Make a list of things that are of a concern to you. Also ask for a blood screening, including cholesterol, thyroid and sugars...all will effect how your weight loss will go. You might also ask for a skin check, especially if you like the sun. Good luck
  • thatshistorical
    thatshistorical Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I think what you said hit it on the head--I've never gone for a physical, just shots and "I've got a common ailment that needs a scrip". I don't even know if my old doctor is still at the same office--I need to start fresh and get my records sent somewhere new, prob. I'm pretty sure a physical does take longer, but I'll ask around about how long they spend with their patients, to make sure they are being thorough. Thanks! I needed a good baseline to expect.

Cheers!
  • Barbonica
    Barbonica Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Yes, go to the doctor. Many chronic conditions have no symptoms (diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol), but can cause issues down the road. Sounds like you have had several pulmonary issues over the past 6 years (a lot more than I have, and I am 20 years older than you). You should make sure your doctor knows about these illnesses.

Make sure you know your family health history (cancer, heart disease, etc) before you go in because this might have an effect on tests, etc.
  • elyelyse
    Options
    I'd go...even if you are healthy, to get baseline results for things. This way, if you do experience changes in the way you are feeling you have something to compare to down the line.

Regarding a yearly check up...unlike the previous commenter who said you only need to visit your Dr if you have a specific complaint...I disagree. By having a checkup each year, you and your Dr may see patterns that would not be obvious if they only see you every few years.

That has not been proven to be cost effective.

All HMOs are getting away from the yearly physical concept.

Genetic testing for pre-dispositions should be revolutionary if it is instituted.
    Frankly, I'm more concerned with keeping track of my health and well being than worrying about the cost effectiveness of my visit. Sorry, health care should be about health, not profits. Plus, I'm keeping other costs down by avoiding diabetes, high blood pressure, and a host of other issues I was dealing with when I started seeing my Dr regularly. Her help and encouragement has been instrumental in improving my overall health.
  • DrWhoodles
    DrWhoodles Posts: 145 Member
    Options

Frankly, I'm more concerned with keeping track of my health and well being than worrying about the cost effectiveness of my visit. Sorry, health care should be about health, not profits. Plus, I'm keeping other costs down by avoiding diabetes, high blood pressure, and a host of other issues I was dealing with when I started seeing my Dr regularly. Her help and encouragement has been instrumental in improving my overall health.

This is why I go in as well - I like my doctor and value his advice. He gives me a lot of encouragement and he's nonjudgmental which works great for me. He's the one that taught me about the concept of building a team to assist in meeting goals so that's why I'm working with a personal trainer.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    I think what you said hit it on the head--I've never gone for a physical, just shots and "I've got a common ailment that needs a scrip". I don't even know if my old doctor is still at the same office--I need to start fresh and get my records sent somewhere new, prob. I'm pretty sure a physical does take longer, but I'll ask around about how long they spend with their patients, to make sure they are being thorough. Thanks! I needed a good baseline to expect.

Cheers!

My primary care doctor is also my gyno and gives me a quick once over as well, so the visit doubles up as a physical. Isn't this typical? I did see her this last time after two years because that's the new recommendation. She said they're now advising every three years if you've had no irregularities for years in a row, but she wasn't comfortable with that yet and would like to see me back in two years.

They can order blood tests if you're concerned but unless it's indicated by some ailment you're managing or you're older, they probably wouldn't recommend one unless you ask.
  • CkepiJinx
    CkepiJinx Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    I am on the side of going for yearly check ups especially if you have insurance that covers it. Here is my story and why I say yes go:

I was always healthy till I wasn't. I had always gone to my doctor for a yearly check up, I never went for anything else. Well when I turned 30 my life was turned up side down but thankfully given my history with my GP she took my concerns seriously and I was diagnosed very quickly.

I was diagnosed with MS in a week because of my GP and her knowledge of my history. A vast majority of people with MS go years without a diagnosis because doctors don't take their reported symptoms as seriously as they should. Many of the first symptoms of MS are vague and things like fatigue, dizziness, brain fog, heat intolerance, blurry vision, tingling in your arms or legs, weakness. The symptoms often come and go during "flare ups". Many people are thought to be imagining their symptoms do to the sporadic nature and wide variaty of symptoms. Often depression is suggested or hypochondria. And this can happen to people who go to the doctors on a regular basis. Now imagine not having any real history or a "regular" doctor that knows you and your history.

Now I was also fortunate my doctor had other patients with MS and recognized my symptoms when I started having them and sent me for the right tests. But even with that knowledge if she hadn't known me before hand it may have taken her more time to come to that conclusion because she would have had to rule out a lot of other things because she would not have had any history on me.

Good luck and find a doctor who fits you, ask questions ask people you know for recommendations. Good luck!
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    But that's the problem.

The insurance won't cover it soon, and so either you or the nurse setting you in the schedule will have to make up some phoney problem in order to get reimbursed.

If you were paying for the visit out of pocket- say, 300 dollars for a yearly visit, would you do it when you had no complaints?

Yes.

But my family has a history of high BP, high cholesterol, cancer, stroke, and other issues. So I keep an eye on my own health.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    That whole medical school and science thing is a bunch of hooey.

Doctors is so stoopid.

It's much better to ask the nice folks on the internet.
  • elyelyse
    Options
    But that's the problem.

The insurance won't cover it soon, and so either you or the nurse setting you in the schedule will have to make up some phoney problem in order to get reimbursed.

If you were paying for the visit out of pocket- say, 300 dollars for a yearly visit, would you do it when you had no complaints?
    Considering that preventative care is more cost effective (and just plain more effective) than treating diseases that have already begun to progress...It seems counterproductive for insurance companies to limit our access to routine check ups. I'm aware that insurance companies may not give a rat's *kitten*...but it still doesn't sound like good business.

And...knowing what I know about health, my history, my genetics, and my personality, I absolutely would pay $300 a year out of pocket to see my doctor. Of course, that would mean I need to have $300. Or, I guess I could wait until I got sick, and go into debt.
  • LizL217
    LizL217 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    But that's the problem.

Considering that preventative care is more cost effective (and just plain more effective) than treating diseases that have already begun to progress...It seems counterproductive for insurance companies to limit our access to routine check ups. I'm aware that insurance companies may not give a rat's *kitten*...but it still doesn't sound like good business.

And...knowing what I know about health, my history, my genetics, and my personality, I absolutely would pay $300 a year out of pocket to see my doctor. Of course, that would mean I need to have $300. Or, I guess I could wait until I got sick, and go into debt.

Visiting a doctor for no reason every year is NOT preventive care.

It's just wasting time and money.

If it did prevent bad things down the road, the insurance companies would endorse it.

I don't know about yours, but my insurance company and my employer DO endorse annual checkups. They make a contribution to our HSA if we get an annual physical and cholesterol check.

I also get an annual blood panel done because it's covered by my insurance and because a couple of years ago my bloodwork revealed a low platelet count and high platelet turnover that is indicative of autoimmune disease. Now it's something that I monitor regularly to make sure that it doesn't deteriorate, and I have changed my supplement intake to help my platelet formation. I've never had symptoms except for bruising somewhat easily, so if I didn't have annual checkups I never would have known to keep an eye on it.