I lost over 10lbs and gained it all again

Options
I'm 5'9 and 18 years old...
So since about September last year I lost around 13lbs, the last 6lbs or so, were down to healthy eating and good exercise.
I lasted just over 2 weeks with my healthy eating and exercise... Then somehow completely messed up and started binging everyday for the past 3 weeks. I need help and motivation to get slim again.
Weighed in at 169lbs and I refuse to go above 170lbs again.
Please help me get motivated and back on track to a healthy lifestyle :(

Replies

• Insomniak2
    Options
    Em, Check your inbox, I have the solution for you.
  • starrylioness
    starrylioness Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Just remember we all make mistakes. No one is perfect. Pick yourself back up and remember that you lost the weight once before already so you CAN do it again! Don't give up! :smile:

(edited for typo! I need sleep!)
  • j2dworld
    Options
    I'm not sure if you use a food scale to weigh you food. It's really important in making sure the food you enter into your diary is an accurate measurement of calories. Also, plan ahead. I often plan what I'm eating the next day or else I would be hitting the vending machine for those afternoon chips for a snack intead of a chosing a healthier option. On most days, I've found that I even room in the evenings for a little snack.

With the exercie, try starting with something that's not so rigourous. (i.e. walking). Not sure where you live but where I am we've had a really brutal winter so I've found an indoor walking track not too far from my home.

All the best to you! This is a great app!
  • 15Nov2013
    15Nov2013 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    If you were binging everyday ... you were not eating healthy ... you were starving yourself ...
    Start again ... and make small changes
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,529 Member
    Options
    "Healthy" eating involves being able to control foods that you like to eat. Sounds like you abstained from them and missed them badly and binged. Contrary to a lot of what many fitness "gurus" and health nuts say, one doesn't have to deny themselves foods they like IF they know how to make it part of their daily regimen.
    Moderation works.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • tjthegreatone
    Options
    So since about September last year I lost around 13lbs, the last 6lbs or so, were down to healthy eating and good exercise.
    I lasted just over 2 weeks with my healthy eating and exercise... Then somehow completely messed up and started binging everyday for the past 3 weeks. I need help and motivation to get slim again.

I'm going to be mean and say that if you started binging your 'diet' probably wasn't that healthy to begin with. Your age is a giveaway - many young people seem to think that healthy eating means deprivation. Can't have this, can't have that. Must be hungry and workout 2 hours a day 6 days a week.

I'm willing to bet that you either cut out all your favourite foods (seen as 'bad') or ate at a very low calorie level for your requirements, or both. The binging is probably your body's rebellion against this. Been there, got the T shirt.

Now I'm speculating but the sensible thing would be to calculate your body's caloric needs for maintenance (INCLUDING exercise) and cut to no more than 200-300 kcal below this. Allow yourself treats if you are so inclined. And take the slow and scenic route. Can't promise you won't overeat every now and again - that's life - but you'll be far less likely to have out of control binging episodes, and the weight will come off slowly but surely (and more sustainably).
  • Foulque
    Foulque Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    The people who mentioned that binging is often the result of deprivation have got it right.

Bad days will happen, it's normal. One thing that could help is committing to always record what you eat, even if it's not according to plan. If you do that, you're owning it as it happens and then you're hopefully empowered to make a choice. Whether you're deciding to put the brakes on a binge before it goes too far, or deciding that you're going to let yourself have what you want for the day because what does one day matter, you're making a decision and that feels a lot less like losing control.

I know feeling in control isn't going to magically make pounds fall off but I imagine many of us are carrying around difficult feelings surrounding our bodies and what we do or don't do, so anything we can do to feel more sure about ourselves when navigating all of this can surely only be beneficial in the long run.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    I read your profile and you need to stop comparing yourself to your "tiny" friends. If you ask me, you have a gorgeous, athletic physique. And if your friends are much shorter than you, I'd bet a million dollars a few of them wish they were taller. So embrace who you are.
  • JBnyc99
    JBnyc99 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Em, Check your inbox, I have the solution for you.

Why not share with the rest of us?

Oh right, secret sales pitch. Got it.
  • tjthegreatone
    Options
    I read your profile and you need to stop comparing yourself to your "tiny" friends. If you ask me, you have a gorgeous, athletic physique. And if your friends are much shorter than you, I'd bet a million dollars a few of them wish they were taller. So embrace who you are.
    I'll echo this. I'm your height and we will never weigh the same as our 'tiny' friends. From your profile I'm willing to bet I weigh a fair bit more than you, but people often tell me that I'm slim or 'tiny'. Haha. Just got to learn to be comfortable in your skin. I've got 12 years on you and I'm still learning.
    PS I'm sure you know this but please ignore all marketing scams/diet aids etc.
  • 9jenn9
    9jenn9 Posts: 309 Member
    Options

I'm going to be mean and say that if you started binging your 'diet' probably wasn't that healthy to begin with. Your age is a giveaway - many young people seem to think that healthy eating means deprivation. Can't have this, can't have that. Must be hungry and workout 2 hours a day 6 days a week.

I'm willing to bet that you either cut out all your favourite foods (seen as 'bad') or ate at a very low calorie level for your requirements, or both. The binging is probably your body's rebellion against this. Been there, got the T shirt.

Now I'm speculating but the sensible thing would be to calculate your body's caloric needs for maintenance (INCLUDING exercise) and cut to no more than 200-300 kcal below this. Allow yourself treats if you are so inclined. And take the slow and scenic route. Can't promise you won't overeat every now and again - that's life - but you'll be far less likely to have out of control binging episodes, and the weight will come off slowly but surely (and more sustainably).

I agree. Another thing to consider with binges is that sometimes they have emotional causes. So, are binges something you've had to deal with in the past? Or is it new? If they are new, it's more likely that diet deprivation is the trigger. If you have a binge history, you'll need to do some work to get in touch with what is going on in your head/heart when the urge hits you. There are quite a few threads that discuss some strategies to deal with binges. Good luck.
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    That sucks I wonder, did you stay within your caloric guideline? I can relate to having tiny friends and feeling like the giant. However, as you get older you will have a wider field to play in...:wink: leaving those shrimpy friends with their mouths hanging.
  • cschiff
    cschiff Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Your story sounds pretty similar to mine... I understand!

I feel like sometimes when I get to a goal number I think "wow I got there now I can eat whatever I want"-- these thoughts are typically subconscious for me. But I have recently really begun to try to focus on lifestyle and not thinking of it as something I have to just reach and then it's over. Does that make sense? We can let loose and enjoy life but we also have to remember that these changes need to be maintained with general lifestyle (which means it's totally okay to fall down, but always get back up!)

You can do this girl!!!!