NO FRUITS/VEGETABLES!!!!!!

Options
12346»

Replies

• kjarvo
    kjarvo Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    If you like pasta, that's an easy way to get veggies into your diet. Keep eating your pasta dishes and add veggies to the sauce. I'm guessing you eat marinara? Already has tomato, add some green peppers, mushrooms, onions, pureed zucchini. If you like creamy sauces, .eat them but add some veggies. (Same with your sandwiches. Put fresh baby spinach on them.)

Learn how to roast veggies. Pretty much any veggie tastes great roasted.

Eat fat with your vegetables, it helps absorb the nutrients anyway. Dip asparagus in a butter and lemon dip/sauce.

Don't start by juicing, you'll hate it. Look up naturally sweet fruits and start there. You'd probably like grapes and pineapples-just buy a can of pineapples packed in their own juice and give it a shot.

You can buy fruit juice with vegetables in them at the store. Too much juice in your day won't be good for you, but adding a glass of one of the decent ones probably wouldn't be bad for you. I'm talking about the mass produced (V-8 Fusion type) and not the expensive bottle you find for one serving already refrigerated. You will hate them.

Make this: Frozen banana, peanut butter, milk of choice, pinch of salt, sweetener of choice, cocoa to taste, and a date. Blend.

This.
    Add vegetables to pasta, curries, casseroles etc.
    When you add veg to meals, cook them loads first or leave them in the oven for a while. Vegetables don't have such a strong taste once cooked and the texture is softer. When you get used to really soft onions, pepper, carrots etc in food, try cooking them less and less or in something else. (as the nutrients are sometimes broken down when cooked)
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    NO NO NO to overcooked vegetables!! Some, such as asparagus ( wonderful asparagus!) should be cooked al dente.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    Oh jeez...sorry, no help here. I have no patience for adults who have the kiddie "I don't like fruits and vegetables!" attitude. I get it enough from my 10-year old.

THIS. EXACTLY.
  • kjarvo
    kjarvo Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    NO NO NO to overcooked vegetables!! Some, such as asparagus ( wonderful asparagus!) should be cooked al dente.

I mean at first. Vegetables are far more bland once cooked, and tolerable in something like a lasagne if they don't stand out. Even now I don't really like tomatoes but I like them baked and I hate courgettes unless they are overcooked. Carrots are pretty much tasteless when cooked until completely soft but have quite a sharp taste raw.
    As I have got older I can eat things like carrots raw, but as a child that was unquestionable. My veg had to be cooked to a pulp or I wouldn't eat it.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Oh jeez...sorry, no help here. I have no patience for adults who have the kiddie "I don't like fruits and vegetables!" attitude. I get it enough from my 10-year old.

THIS. EXACTLY.

At least you're admitting to being no help along with your condescending " you're acting like my kid" post. A courtesy not extended by a lot of prior posters on this topic! :huh:
  • TheITCrowd1
    Options

THIS. EXACTLY.

At least you're admitting to being no help along with your condescending " you're acting like my kid" post. A courtesy not extended by a lot of prior posters on this topic! :huh:

Maybe you suck at cooking and your 10 year old would rather eat dog poo than overbroiled veg? :D I kid, I kid - i may be barking up the wrong tree here, but if a ten year old doesn't like veg the parents are to blame - by introducing the sweet flavours before savoury when the child was young

My daughter LOVES ALL her veg, she would sooner walk past chocolate and eat a banana, blueberries, rasberries, mango, kiwi, whatever she can get her hands on - thats why i always make sure there are plenty of these items strategically placed around the house at her eye level :)
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

THIS. EXACTLY.

Maybe you suck at cooking and your 10 year old would rather eat dog poo than overbroiled veg? :D I kid, I kid - i may be barking up the wrong tree here, but if a ten year old doesn't like veg the parents are to blame - by introducing the sweet flavours before savoury when the child was young

My daughter LOVES ALL her veg, she would sooner walk past chocolate and eat a banana, blueberries, rasberries, mango, kiwi, whatever she can get her hands on - thats why i always make sure there are plenty of these items strategically placed around the house at her eye level :)

What a crock! My kids *loved* veggies when they were little. Then at about 9 or 10 began *hating* them. Now they are teens and gradually adding them back into their diets. Kids go through phases. It's perfectly natural and is not an indictment on parenting or cooking abilities. Get over yourself.
  • TheITCrowd1
    Options

THIS. EXACTLY.

What a crock! My kids *loved* veggies when they were little. Then at about 9 or 10 began *hating* them. Now they are teens and gradually adding them back into their diets. Kids go through phases. It's perfectly natural and is not an indictment on parenting or cooking abilities. Get over yourself.

It was said with a twinkle in my eye, i was teasing :) Of course she'd take the chocolate ! :D Double decker is her favourite

I know this about phases! one year its horse riding, one year its swimming, the next its mcdonalds, then its carrot sticks lol!

I think kids favourite food is 'anything beige' :D Fries, Chicken Nuggets, Bread, Scrambled Eggs :) as long as its beige it will go down easy lol
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

THIS. EXACTLY.

It was said with a twinkle in my eye, i was teasing :) Of course she'd take the chocolate ! :D Double decker is her favourite

I know this about phases! one year its horse riding, one year its swimming, the next its mcdonalds, then its carrot sticks lol!

I think kids favourite food is 'anything beige' :D Fries, Chicken Nuggets, Bread, Scrambled Eggs :) as long as its beige it will go down easy lol

:laugh:

Yeah, kids are a trip. I really miss my daughter sharing avocado with me. Now I have to eat the whole thing. She used to love it, but now it's like, "Meh. Maybe next time. I don't feel like eating it." (Oh, who am I kidding? I don't mind eating the whole thing! :tongue:)