I'm scared of quitting like last time?

Options
I have very poor self control. I have been trying to eat clean and exercise a few times before but I lost all motivation and gave into temptations. This time is different because I've realized how determined I am now but I'm so scared I'll quit again. What should I do?

Replies

• GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    You probably have very poor self control because you look at this as a diet that you need to be perfect at or at least that is what I read when someone says they try to eat clean and give into temptations. Don't start eliminating types of foods, if you like them make them fit into your day, that takes away the feeling of having to give into temptations, because they are already included in your day.

Here's advice I just gave to someone else that might help you:

1. Log your food as accurately and honestly as possible - If it goes in your mouth it gets logged good bad and the ugly. While you are starting just worry about the calorie number once you get good at logging then start looking at protein, carbs and fat. Again Keep it Simple. If you don't have a medical condition that you have to watch your sugar intake don't even bother tracking that.

2. Get a digital food scale they are very inexpensive and probably my greatest investment This will help you learn portion control which helps with being able to eat in moderation.

3. Understand that this takes time, so being patient is good

4. Understand that weight will fluctuate all the time, don't let your emotions get tied into the number on the scale, the scale is just one of many tools you will use to gauge your progress.

5. Strive for consistency over perfection, if you make 80% good choices the other 20% don't make too much of a difference.

6. Remember weight loss comes from a calorie deficit, don't make it a huge deficit, keep it reasonable and remember any change you are considering doing ask yourself "Am I willing to do this for the rest of my life?" If so then go for it, if not think about why you are considering that change.
  • tibby531
    tibby531 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    all of the above!!

also, I've found that leaving some daily "play" calories helps. if I log all my foods, and there's enough calories left for a cookie, then WOWWIE ZOWWIE, I GET A COOKIE!!! :happy:
  • NormInv
    NormInv Posts: 3,303 Member
    Options
    It is hard to get into a routine but I can tell you, once you get into it, it will become very easy, and quitting will be much harder.
  • mmcdonald700
    mmcdonald700 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    You probably have very poor self control because you look at this as a diet that you need to be perfect at or at least that is what I read when someone says they try to eat clean and give into temptations. Don't start eliminating types of foods, if you like them make them fit into your day, that takes away the feeling of having to give into temptations, because they are already included in your day.

1. Log your food as accurately and honestly as possible - If it goes in your mouth it gets logged good bad and the ugly. While you are starting just worry about the calorie number once you get good at logging then start looking at protein, carbs and fat. Again Keep it Simple. If you don't have a medical condition that you have to watch your sugar intake don't even bother tracking that.

2. Get a digital food scale they are very inexpensive and probably my greatest investment This will help you learn portion control which helps with being able to eat in moderation.

4. Understand that weight will fluctuate all the time, don't let your emotions get tied into the number on the scale, the scale is just one of many tools you will use to gauge your progress.

5. Strive for consistency over perfection, if you make 80% good choices the other 20% don't make too much of a difference.

6. Remember weight loss comes from a calorie deficit, don't make it a huge deficit, keep it reasonable and remember any change you are considering doing ask yourself "Am I willing to do this for the rest of my life?" If so then go for it, if not think about why you are considering that change.

Great advice! Listen to this.
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Did you feel like this last time you tried - honestly :-/
    What you need to do (I would suggest) is change yourself not just go on a diet. The problem isn't the food it is people (us) eating it, its not doing nothing, its people (us) not doing it. Do what you can to change your attitude and the way you view the world and you will do fine. Just trying to hold onto the concept of a diet when it hasn't already worked may be falling into the old addage "do the same things get the same results" etc. Good luck
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options

All of this.

Weight loss is all about the calories. Once you're comfortable eating at a moderate deficit, you can start focusing on diet changes IF you want to. A balanced diet is always best from a nutritional standpoint, but eating "clean" is by no means necessary. Just take is slow and make gradual, sustainable changes that you enjoy. :smile:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,723 Member
    Options
    I have very poor self control. I have been trying to eat clean and exercise a few times before but I lost all motivation and gave into temptations. This time is different because I've realized how determined I am now but I'm so scared I'll quit again. What should I do?
    Quit trying to eat "clean" if you can't do it. Eat whole foods as much as possible, but you can still have treats as long as you keep your calories in control.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • toadg53
    toadg53 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    perfect answer Jwhited71. I have told myself THIS time around that nobody else is going to take control of my health but ME ... only ME. So if I don't get myself under control and get myself healthy nobody will. When I'd lost about 20#, a friend of mine said "that's all well and good, but when you go off the diet, it'll all come right back on" ... and it hit me. It can't be a DIET ... it has to be a life style change. And my doctor told me to beware of friends and possibly even family members that can or will, either on purpose or unknowingly will, sabotage your success. And that statement struck me. This HAS to be a change in my lifestyle. I cannot ever go back to the way I was eating before and the couch potato lifestyle I led before. Becuz of how I was before, I did suffer a pulmonary embolism and am so fortunate I am even still even here!! So this is my 2nd chance at life and I'm gonna take it and run with it.

This is what I tell myself everyday. And yes, some days I have to really argue with myself for quite a while to get my butt out and get my walk in and get my exercises done and to eat what I should or to NOT eat what I shouldn't. But I win ... I do win. every single day. and that's what it is. a daily struggle.

So good luck. take it one day at a time. and always win the argument with yourself :)
  • wrenegade64
    wrenegade64 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    EMBRACE IT YOUNGSTER. Temptation ain't goin away anytime soon. COUNT ON IT. Be "proactive" and not "reactive". As far as temptations are concerned, the majority of the time its just a matter of having a taste or sampling of something. We used to get medium or large size shakes or sundaes when we craved ice cream....now if we absolutely have to have something like that, we get mini or snack size ones and we are strict about only allowing one a week. Candy bars? We keep Quest protein bars in the house. OMfreekinG they are to die for! My favorite flavors are Strawberry Cheesecake, Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough, Cookies and Cream, and Peanut Butter Supreme.
    Its all just a matter of changing it up, not giving it up. U GOT THIS!!!
  • toadg53
    toadg53 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Friend me if you'd like ... I'll help you any way I can ...
  • Boogage
    Boogage Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    If you found yourself giving in to temptation then maybe you were being too strict with your food(?). I found it much easier to lose weight by trying to eat well-fruit, veg, good carbs ect but also allowing myself daily treats. If it fits my macros then I have a cookie or two, a few squares of chocolate or a piece of cake. Actually, yesterday I had all three but my meals were all fairly healthy so I didn't go over my calories. For me this has been a lifestyle change rather than a diet and I've found moderation is key. Another reason for giving up could be that your calorie limit is set too low. Your body needs an adequate amount to function properly and you need enough calories so that you can still enjoy food whilst losing weight and be less likely to fall off the wagon.
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Eating Clean is a nice concept, but you have to allow and expect yourself to be human. That means realizing you're not going to be perfect everyday. It also means that just because you stumble doesn't mean it has to be a complete falling off of the wagon.

Every time I'd tell myself, "You can't ever have soda pop (fill in the blank - chocolate, bread, ice cream, whatever) anymore" - that would be ALL that I wanted. Now, I've amended the language some. If I'm going to have a soda, have a diet soda. It's not a question of if I'm going to have a starch, but what kind of a starch....will I choose to have the bread they bring to the table at Longhorn or Outback steakhouses, or will I choose to have the bun on the cheeseburger I have. It's one or the other.

With my pedometer - I know that most doctors will recommend getting in 10,000 steps a day. I also know that for me, that's COMPLETELY unrealistic. When I started this journey, I was lucky to get in 500-800 steps a day. Now I average anywhere from 1500-2500 steps a day. Anything in the upward range is an improvement.

Look for making improvements. You don't have to be completely perfect, just better than before.

If you get a pedometer, get a fitbit that syncs with MFP. It has a chart on it that shows calories burned vs caloric intake. As long as you burn more than you eat, you're GOING to lose weight. It's a certainty.....or at least it has been for me.
  • LeslieB042812
    LeslieB042812 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    I used to struggle with that too. It helped me to start by just deciding to log every day--even if i ate garbage! Also, I know everyone preaches moderation and working treats in with your calories, but I found that that doesn't work as well for me on a daily basis. I used to do that and then I would be hungry all the time because those calories aren't as satisfying. I'm having much more success staying in my calories now that I have mostly cut out processed foods and simple starches. Instead of telling myself I can't have a treat, I plan to have it "later"--after i'm done with all my daily calories or the weekend. Most of the time, I don't even want it later. Another thing that helps me keep in my calories is making sure that I eat enough healthy fats--like leaving the skin on a chicken thigh or having avocado or almonds. Healthy fats are much more satisfying.