I'm new to this.. my fiancee put me up to this! (26r Male)

Options
Hi all,

I am a 26 year old guy, looking to maintain my current weight, but also to lose body fat and build muscle. I know ultimately this will mean I will need to gain weight, but I am also looking to achieve a nice and cut look.
I am looking for any supportive friends, or any helpful tips and advice to help me achieve my goals. Many thanks, and good luck to you all!

Replies

• SpecialSundae
    SpecialSundae Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    Always good to have friends building muscle. I'm on my first bulk and it's good to have big eating friends.
  • Pau1004
    Options
    Welcome

Those are two different things as you will find losing weight and bulk up at the same time is a bit difficult. I would start losing fat following a high cardiovascular workout and watching what you eat and when you eat it.

The first thing in to know how often do you eat and more important what do you eat. We know every body is a world and some foods might /might not work for you but with the good advice and a strong will, everything is possible.
  • meekandhumble
    meekandhumble Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    hi i am new to this website and still trying to figure all of it out. I have lost 100lbs and would like to lose another 45.
  • PainNowGainLater
    PainNowGainLater Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thank you.

I will definitely look at it in that order! I appreciate the advice :)
  • SpecialSundae
    Options
    Don't prioritise cardio above lifting if your aim is to look cut. You want to reveal the muscles you have rather than burning them if along with fat.

• PainNowGainLater
    Options
    That's great, thank you so much for the advice! I am focusing on lifting when I am in the gym, including cardio, but not loads!
  • SpecialSundae
    Options
    That's great, thank you so much for the advice! I am focusing on lifting when I am in the gym, including cardio, but not loads!

I do next to no cardio other than a 20 minute pre-lifting warm-up.

(ETA I also walk a lot.)

What sort of lifting programme are you doing?
  • PainNowGainLater
    Options
    I do a 10 - 20 min cardio warm up, an hour's weight lifting, then 10 - 20 mins cardio as a cool down. I have a few magazines and plans from Men's Health, which I take ideas and inspirations from. When I weight lift, I aim to do 2-3 sets of 12-15 reps.
  • SpecialSundae
    Options
    I do a 10 - 20 min cardio warm up, an hour's weight lifting, then 10 - 20 mins cardio as a cool down. I have a few magazines and plans from Men's Health, which I take ideas and inspirations from. When I weight lift, I aim to do 2-3 sets of 12-15 reps.

2-3 sets of 12-15 reps of what?
  • PuckBunny1919
    Options
    Welcome!
  • PainNowGainLater
    Options
    Thank you!
  • PainNowGainLater
    Options
    Lots of different techniques to be honest, I'll do at least 2-3 different lifting exercises for each body part :)
  • PainNowGainLater
    Options
    I'll try to do many different compound exercises, such as squats and dead lifts. I like to use shoulder presses, and save the isolated moves for specific areas such as bicep curls, and sit ups :)