Money or job satisfaction?

Options

Replies

• Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    17097.strip.sunday.gif
    I'd prefer to be somewhere in the middle (I'm boring like that).
  • RebelliousRibbons
    RebelliousRibbons Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Give me the money.

I could always save up enough to find a more enjoyable job later.
  • veruca25
    Options
    Second one.
    Boredom is the biggest stress inducer. Gah...
    Edit: Which means I'd totally take on a second job in a heartbeat if needed. Mhmmm.

money

stress from boredom?? id take that stress while vacationing wherever i wanted over stressing about how im going to pay my heat/ electric/ rent bill.
  • Noamsh
    Noamsh Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Since I'm just about to get the most useless degree one can possibly study for and currently have zero career prospects, a job, ANY job, would be good. :laugh: (other than being a waitress of course.)
  • Sinisterly
    Sinisterly Posts: 10,913 Member
    Options
    Second one.
    Boredom is the biggest stress inducer. Gah...
    Edit: Which means I'd totally take on a second job in a heartbeat if needed. Mhmmm.

money

stress from boredom?? id take that stress while vacationing wherever i wanted over stressing about how im going to pay my heat/ electric/ rent bill.
    Yes, stress from boredom. I prefer to keep active.
  • Building_Bulk
    Building_Bulk Posts: 20,596 Member
    Options
    Show me the money!!!
  • RedHeadDevotchka
    RedHeadDevotchka Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    Money. Job satisfaction is nice but if you make good money you can go on vacation and have awesome hobbies. Id rather have my outside life be the most interesting, fun thing in my life than my job.
    Enjoying your job can only go so far if there's no financial payoff.
    I have had both good paying jobs and horrible paying jobs. (My favorite job was the one made the least money too btw).
  • NormInv
    NormInv Posts: 3,285 Member
    Options
    Since I'm just about to get the most useless degree one can possibly study for and currently have zero career prospects, a job, ANY job, would be good. :laugh: (other than being a waitress of course.)

let me guess, english lit?
  • tlcarolinagirl
    tlcarolinagirl Posts: 1,700 Member
    Options
    High paying job...just being honest. You can always have fun after work, but you can't if you are having to work 2 or 3 jobs. Just my opinion, don't shoot me :tongue:
  • arwacky
    arwacky Posts: 1,653
    Options

My guess is philosophy but that sounds like such a fun thing to study..

I'm sorry but I think I'd take money..my job life might suck but at least I wouldn't be stressed in other aspects of life when it comes to bills and paying for extra things I might want.
  • Slacker16
    Options
    I just realized that I have recently been placed in this situation.

Was informally promised a low paying job that I'd enjoy and would set me up towards my dream job, but before getting a confirmation I was also offered a high paying job that I would have utterly loathed. I picked the first one, no regrets whatsoever and will give it a good shot.

If it doesn't work out, then I'll sell my soul.
  • LiftBigtoGetFit
    LiftBigtoGetFit Posts: 3,399 Member
    Options

Was informally promised a low paying job that I'd enjoy and would set me up towards my dream job, but before getting a confirmation I was also offered a high paying job that I would have utterly loathed. I picked the first one, no regrets whatsoever and will give it a good shot.

But the low paying job is a stepping stone to "dream job" which I'm sure pays better than the stepping stone job that you are starting at. If stepping stone job was it forever (pay included) what would your choice have been then?
  • Noamsh
    Noamsh Posts: 79 Member
    Options

And...... we have a winner!

ETA: I forgot to mention the best part! I live in a non-English speaking country!
  • silversociety
    silversociety Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Had you said average paying job for the second I might of gone for that, but seeing as you said it'd be a low paying job, I'd be inclined to pick the first.
  • Slacker16
    Options

But the low paying job is a stepping stone to "dream job" which I'm sure pays better than the stepping stone job that you are starting at. If stepping stone job was it forever (pay included) what would your choice have been then?
    The question is a little too abstract to answer, the position I took is a post-doc which by definition is supposed to be temporary...

Money has diminishing returns after a certain level so I'd probably pick average pay and job satisfaction over high pay, but I'd probably pick a loathsome high paying job over staying permanently at my current level of income and job security.
  • liftsforchocolate
    Options
    Right now, pick two. But if I was living alone with no support it would be number one.
  • NormInv
    NormInv Posts: 3,285 Member
    Options

And...... we have a winner!

ETA: I forgot to mention the best part! I live in a non-English speaking country!

Too easy....my guess is you live in a middle eastern country - egypt or qatar
  • fitfan11
    fitfan11 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I'm military......which do you think I chose?
  • JackKopCh
    JackKopCh Posts: 8,044 Member
    Options
    Second!

I quit my really well paid job of 4 years at the start of the new year, I really didn't like it!
    No regrets!
  • ThriceBlessed
    ThriceBlessed Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I'm an artist... I will not likely ever get "job satisfaction" from anything else, but with galleries charging 50% commision I will not likely ever get enough money to even live on from being an artist. So, I'd take the boring job for lots of money, and be able to use the funds to save up for my own gallery someday in the future, then I could sell my own art in the gallery, give classes, and charge other people commission to sell their art for them.