cream cheese replacement?

Options
2»

Replies

• Takes2long
    Takes2long Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    That sounds really good!!! I've seen the Neufchatel Cheese aroud here, but I live in upstate NY. I see lots of potential for this recipe :-) Thanks for sharing :-)
  • kelseyjsnyder
    kelseyjsnyder Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    . Ive thought about the low fat and light versions. ill have to see if i can find Neufchatel cheese. the town i live in has 1 grocery store and it TRIPLES the price of everything, the next closest store is about 30 miles or more away (one way) Thanks for all the suggestions

@takes2long your welcome
  • Rosannajo88
    Rosannajo88 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Until this point I had no idea what a chip dip was....

Now I must have it!! Sounds bloody delicious! x
  • kelseyjsnyder
    Options
    Oh its AMAZING! I make it for my bosses all the time (well they pay me to make it for them) they use crackers instead of chips. like wheat thins and triscuts. so when i made it 2 days ago i used triscut tomato and sweet basil to dip it out with and WOW ITS SO MUCH BETTER THAT WAY
  • AwesomeGuy37
    AwesomeGuy37 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese? Can you post the recipe?
  • kelseyjsnyder
    Options
    The recipe is a few comments up
  • AwesomeGuy37
    AwesomeGuy37 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Oh wow..that is basically a baked Mexican food buffet in a pan..lol

Umm.. You might try using equal amounts of diced tomatoes (possibly from a can) with the ground beef to make the taco base and/or use salsa as a filler. I'm not sure if cottage cheese would be a good sub for the cream cheese as I replied earlier.

I have my own taco creation for years now where I brown 1 lb. of beef, drain the fat. (Rinse with hot water and drain again if worried about it)
    Then put back on the heat and add the water, 2 taco mix packets and 2 large cans of petite diced tomatoes 28 Oz(drained).
    Cook it until the water evaporates while stirring often. Medium high heat usually takes about 15 minutes.

That makes a cheaper, lower calorie version of taco meat that I've gotten compliments on. It has a higher tomato-to-beef ratio than I suggested above, but it's the only way I make it.

I tried the recipe editor using my way.. Hope it helps.
    http://imgur.com/dovXgU5
  • RhysJ13
    Options
    Oh man I miss cream cheese so much...
  • LeighRaeW
    LeighRaeW Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I like to use about 2/3 quark to 1/3 fat free greek yogurt. It stays nice and thick and creamy, with a cream cheese flavor, but isn't too sharp from the yogurt.
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    Our Wal-mart started selling Green Mountain Farms Greek, a cream cheese/greek yogurt blend. It's delicious and I think it would work quite well as a substitute. I also second Laughing Cow--it's yummy too!

I came in here specifically to recommend this. It's one of my favorite products.
  • sunnyskys2013
    sunnyskys2013 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    sounds good:)